“Stunning”
Review of Grand Hotel du Lac

Grand Hotel du Lac
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Vevey
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This hotel is just beautiful. Most hotels of this type have a bit of a stale, worn "old world" feel. Not this hotel. It has pure elegance, while simultaneously feeling new and modern. It was mid winter so I didn't get a chance to experience the pool, but the view of the lake is still impressive in February. The only downside was the restaurant. While the meal was not bad and the service was great, I expected a lot more for the prices being charged (150 for dinner for 2, without wine). Breakfast was good, nut not terribly original. Over earl, a great location and home, truly top end rooms. Just find another restaurant

Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank CannistraD

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Very nicely located on the lake,the rooms towards the lake have a beautiful view and are very cozy.Service is perfect and kind.We had dinner in their gourmet restaurant and it was a nice experience.The menu list is short but food is very nice and service kind.
The place can be recommended without hesitation.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kosmic48
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have not stayed in many expensive hotels, but I have stayed in some, and have had various nice experiences, but this was the nicest of all. The hotel is exquisite -- each table, chair, painting, etc. It was a pleasure simply to walk down the halls. The hotel staff were personable and helpful. They made have realized that my daughter and I were not as wealthy as many of the guests probably were (I wanted to stay at the hotel because I had loved the Booker prizing-winning by Anita Brookner that is based loosely on the hotel) but we were never made to feel like we didn't belong. There were some nice little surprises, too, which I don't want to give away for fear of spoiling the delight of other future guests. The restaurant was also very nice and considering how expensive Switzerland dining is generally, I would not call it expensive at all. I LOVED my stay at the Hotel du Lac!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Kate E
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed here for a week with my three year old son and fiancé who works nearby. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are faultless with L'Occitane toiletries. Everything you'd expect from class true 5 star. The breakfast was delicious with plenty of variety. Service was excellent. I was wary of staying somewhere like this with a three year old but they adored him. They didn't charge us anything for him, inc food and drinks! I loved it. We even went yesterday for lunch and felt as welcome as when we stayed.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank kittenx1983
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Upon arriving for breakfast the 5-star hostess looked at me blankly. I had to introduce myself as a guest of the hotel wanting some breakfast! She had me sign a paper in advance before she would seat me. She declared the Lord's name in vain to describe the rainy weather outside. In sight and sound of guests, she kept putting down a sweet younger girl she was obviously training. Instead of watching to make sure coffee cups were refilled, she left the room, and when back she she clanked around setting the dining room for lunch, spilling silverware on the floor, still no coffee. When I was about to leave, she asked if I would like more coffee. Her girl had already done that (when asked). The bathrooms and towels are beautiful but the shower water can scald without warning. Mid rate room facing lake is 390 a night, high for January with pool closed, balconies too cold, and lake shrouded in a thick blanket of fog. Dining room closed my first night -- for people more important than paying room guests.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank LindaBean
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We chose to lunch at the Grand Hotel du Lac on our first visit to Vevey - we were delighted by both the town and our lunch. We ate in La Veranda - arriving without a reservation we were immediately shown a window table and were quickly given drinks and menus. Ordering only main courses we soon had an appetising amuse bouche - diced fish and carrots- pretty and enjoyable. Our main courses of confit duck and perch were both excellent with particularly good vegetables and sauces and accompanied by one's choice of starch - various kinds of potatoes, rice or polenta. We finished with mint teas and dainty petit fours. We expect to return . The hotel decor is tasteful and in keeping with the building. After lunch we strolled along the lakeside gardens to the port - on a sunny January afternoon the views were wonderful and the number of traditional and historic buildings most pleasing.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mangerbien
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We arrived late afternoon after driving from the Schloss Bensberg hotel in Germany, a true 5 star palace. We had seen the web page of the hotel and read some of the positive reports on trip advisor so my wife and I had been looking forward to the 5 star Swiss experience for some time. The web pag features a doorman in a top hat, if you expect to find him there to greet you forget it, in fact there is nobody there to greet you. We left our car in the centre of a narrow drive in drive out drive way on the back of the building, anything but an impressive entrance even for a two or three star hotel and made our way to the top of the stairs. We found what looked like a small reception check in area, however we were unsure as there was nobody there. We walked around the ground floor area to find two people sitting in a bar area and a barman behind the bar, we asked if there was anybody to receive us and he said I don't know I'll try to find someone. Minutes later we were greeted by a charming young girl who asked if we had a reservation, we said we did at which time the phone rang she excused herself and took the call for several minutes whilst her colleague watched on and left us just standing there, he did not attend to us nor did he take the call. After checking in they found a porter to collect our luggage and told us where to park the car, I would have thought they would have done this, but I did it. The charming girl took us to our room explaining that we had been upgraded. The room was lovely and she showed us through the features.

We opted to drive to dinner at a restaurant overlooking Vevey and were rather dissatisfied with the greasy food and opted to pay the bill and return to the 5 star experience of the hotel. On arrival we parked and made our way into the still unattended entrance and on to the restaurant in the lobby. We were greeted if you could call it that by a French speaking waiter who looked totally bewildered when we spoke English, luckily I speak French so I explained that my wife only wanted a desert and before I get the rest out he stood in front of us and pointed to the lounge area telling us that if we were not having a proper meal we would have to go in there. I explained that I was interested in a main course so he begrudgingly pointed to a table, of course he didn't show us to the table that would be expecting too much of this 5 star establishment.

THE WAIT...We waited a good 5 minutes unattended, by the way there were only three tables of two in the restaurant, eventually I saw a man in a dinner suit and I got up and approached him and asked if we could see a menu and get something to drink. He go the menus and wine list and brought them to us. I ordered a glass of champagne, my wife just tea and these arrived promptly, served by the barman. We waited another 10 minutes whilst the French waiter, remember the French waiter, appeared he obviously didn't want to be there, his attitude was more than appuling. Every time he had to go to the touch screen computer, which by the way is in full view of the customers, he insisted on hitting it with the corner of a credit so hard it was as if a woodpecker was at the machine, this mixed with his sighs of distain were anything but conducive to dining. My wife ordered a dessert and I opted for the 64 CHF steak, 20 minutes later my pethetic excuse for a rare steak appeared, small with a small piece of fois gras atop with a separate sauciere of sauce. The steak was more than well done which might have someting to do with the time it took to prepare. I complained to the waiter who took no notice whatsoever, I got up found the head waiter or whatever he was and asked him if this is how a 5 star restaurant prepares a rare steak, we left the dining room and headed for the reception area to ask for our bill as the waiter wasn't interested in even talking to us. Appologies all round and there would be no bill. We went to bed slightly hungry and certainly disappointed with the overall experience of the day.

We were booked in for 4 days for what we thought was going to be a totally pampered stay at this Swiss palace. We got back to our room rang our hotel in Lyon and books in there 2 days earlier. We contacted reception and were told that as we were giving 48 hours notice there would be no penalty for cancelling. Our penalty was showing up at this hotel at all.

When will hotels, not just this hotel, but hotels in general work out that it is the customer that keeps there doors open and not the amount spent on antiques or decoration. Get rid of the staff that don't want to be there replace them with people who can greet you with a smile and look after you, especially at the prices this hotel charges. I hope this review helps just one person no have to go through what we have here.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
18  Thank denhag
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vevey
Fairmont Le Montreux Palace
#4 of 17 in Montreux
Beau-Rivage Palace
Beau-Rivage Palace
#1 of 45 in Lausanne

Been to Grand Hotel du Lac? Share your experiences!