Hotel de Ville
$142
Gruyere Rooms(Gruyeres)
La Fleur de Lys(Gruyeres)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscheese fondueraclettebreadyogurtpotatoesvacherintwo nightswaitstaffcastlevillagecountrymeatjamsterrace
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We did not stay at the Hotel but we ate at there restaurant.

- There were flies everywhere
- Fondue was not good, although I see reviews where people think it is good, I was with Swiss students and they said it was bad fondue.
- Macaroni du Chalet was very good.

I was there on a study abroad trip and we took a mini vacation to Gruyere. I was with other Swiss students and the waitress was so rude. When we asked if we can split the fondue, instead of a polite "No", she yelled at one of the swiss students that it was impossible and we cannot do that. She started yelling in French and caused a scene where everyone in the restaurant looked at us. She was very rude to us and walked away in the middle of our sentences to her. She charged 4 swiss francs for tap water!!! She was rude to other people as well. It was not just the waitress tho. The restaurant manager also treated us badly. The swiss students stood up for us and told us that she was being rude so it was not a cultural thing. Don't give them the business, they are jaded because it is a touristy town.

Room Tip: Just don't go there.
  • Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank pattsui
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Indeed, centrally located, minutes away from the castle. Only 8 rooms, rustic in appearance, nice furniture, but despite their claim internet service was not working. Elevator so small that it fit only one person and one bag. Breakfast was rather standard and not really good. Why serve merengue and cream in the morning?). Staff friendly.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank aclassen
Reviewed February 27, 2011

The hotel is located in the middle of the small village of Gruyeres, which makes it very conveinent to walk around, visit the shops, castle, museums, and enjoy drinks at the several different bars and restaurants throughout the village. Parking is available at no charge at the lot closest to the town, which made it nice..you just need to let the security guard, who is sometimes at the bottom of the hill that you are staying the night...so that they let you up to the top lot. The room was really clean, bathroom moderate with just a shower..but we knew that so no issue. Our room faced the center of town, which was cool and when we woke up in the morning, it was snowing...BEAUTIFUL. The hotel's retaurant served the traditional fondue-raclette, a good sign was that it seemed that there were a number of local people eating here. The food was very good and the service was friendly. Also to note, the breakfast included in the room rate was fresh and well presented. Traditional, bread, jams, yougurt, cheese, meat, juice and coffee (Wasn-t a Breakfast buffet, like most, there was table service, which was nice.)

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 3, 2009

While the town of Gruyeres is wonderful, with a lot to see and do, the hotel is more basic than i expected given the price we paid.
Our room was on the top floor, with a large double bed and a small window with a view over the main street. The main problem was that as the room was small it was very difficult to walk around the bed without hitting your legs. The breakfast was adequate.
A major gripe was that when we returned to the hotel at 9.30pm one evening we could not get in. No staff stay in the hotel overnight and the front door is locked.
When we checked in no one thought to explain to us how to open the front door at night. Believe me its not as simple as it sounds. You dont use the key, but a metallic key fob which you wave at the door. We eventally worked this out for ourselves. But later that evening, i was looking out the window over the square and an elderly couple started to call up to me. They had also checked in that day and not been shown how to use the key fob either.and were locked out. I had to walk downstairs at 10.30pm to let them in. Not great service, as all it would have taken was 2 minutes to demonstrate to guests how to use the fob.
I would return to Gruyere and would stay here again but only at the right price. Its location however is wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank yogaladyni
Reviewed July 2, 2009

I live in Switzerland and I love cheese fondue, so I went to many restaurants for cheese fondue. But I've never been to the restaurant who charge me for pickeled vegetable(cornichon in French). It was not an additional, I had to pay for the first service. I was so shocked and felt a bit sad. It's a pity because taste was very good. They should think what is cheese fondue instead of grabbing any francs from tourists. Location was good, room was OK, price was a bit expensive (because there was no bathtub), breakfast was simple, quality of service staff was not friendly. I felt they did just their minimum required job, rather than trying to make customers happy. They have only few hotel near the castle. I think it makes them behave so to tourists.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family