All reviews ski group medium sized hotel meal plan forest walk every morning ski boots main course shuttle bus yogurt the hotel staff recommend this hotel ski holiday spa area half board excellent hotel breakfast and dinner fondue
Reviewed July 23, 2018

Wife and I ended up at the Sunstar through a trade using Interval International which meant the cost of our room was very low, but we had to pay for the meal plan which included breakfast and dinner every day. The cost of this seemed high at the time we paid it, but we soon came to realize that everything in Switzerland is expensive and we ultimately decided that the price we paid for the meals in advance was actually well worth it. The food at breakfast and dinner was nothing short of amazing. There were always eggs, bacon, sausage, cereals, yogurt, fruit, breads and cheeses available every morning along with teas and coffee. They also had omelettes made to order included in the cost. Dinner each night was 3 courses. A salad or soup, a main course and a dessert. The dinners were 5 star every night. Food was amazing. There were generally 3 choices for the main, a meat, a fish and a vegetarian. If you have really significant dietary restrictions, this is not the place for you because they do have limited choices. Saturday night when we arrived was a buffet and Thursday night was grill night which was excellent and included more choices that the other nights. The manager Jens was amazing and most all of the staff spoke English. A lot of German speakers go to the hotel so the predominant language spoken is German. Jens has a golden retriever named Arni who is at the hotel every day and hangs out around the front desk. He went on the forest tour walk with us one night and this was a delight. Don't miss the chairlift ride to the top of the mountain that is right in the center of town. They will give you a free pass at the front desk. The entire front desk staff was helpful with lots of advise on driving tours and hiking trails. Ask them and they will gladly share with you things to do in the area. We will definitely go back to Flims and we would not stay anywhere else but the Sunstar.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor which required an elevator ride to 4 and then up one flight to 5 ask for the view away from the parking lot.
  • Stayed: June 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2018 via mobile

We traded our timeshare to stay at the Sunstar during the last week of June. It was just what we needed! The parking lot of the hotel is adjacent to the parking for a trailhead that leads to a great trail system, complete with restaurants tucked away on the routes. We hiked every day. The staff was great. Everyone was very helpful and friendly. We had the meal package and found the meals to be very good. Many of the local restaurants were closed the week we were there, so we were thankful to have good food in site and glad we didn’t have to forage for open restaurants. Our room was a bit small by US standards, but the balcony with the incredible views more than made up for the room size. It didn’t bother us a bit. We had the essentials, and that is what mattered. It was a quiet, relaxing and enjoyable vacation.

Stayed: June 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2018

As I wrote a very long review in 2017 and we revisited a year later (again for skiing) I would like to add some updated comments:

- I’ve realised last year we were in an unrenovated room, which cost a little less. There are rooms with new bathrooms and they are slightly larger. This definitely improved our experience second time round but the cost went up by about 20% (that might also be partly the exchange rate).

- the food and service were greatly improved this year. They have a new chef and have made alterations — things were noticeably better. To me this hotel is now a 4* experience (I said it fell slightly below last time)

- the issues my husband had in 2017 with staff and chef not handling gluten allergies well were fewer this time. That said, I still wouldn’t recommend this hotel for strict allergy diets as I think we had one main course which had to be sent back as there was clearly a gluten containing ingredient on the plate.

- no afternoon teas at all this time

- this year there was a room near ski boot room with table football table; my son was delighted and we used it a lot.

- as English speakers we find that the events plan orgniased by the hotel seems more oriented to local guests, so don’t choose this hotel if you like the “package holiday / lots of organised stuff”. For English speakers this hotel is a quiet, relaxed choice where you’ll find most guests are from continental Europe; we like that and we love Switzerland, so I’m sure we will be back.

I’m writing on iPad and it’s not letting me click Hotel Ratings buttons, I would rate 4/5 across the board for service, rooms and value.

Disclaimer: I was a summer hotel worker in Flims many decades ago, so I’ll always consider it one of the most beautiful places to visit, summer and winter!

Room Tip: Renovated rooms are better but cost more
Stayed: February 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank Louise8899
Reviewed April 1, 2018

It was great time in this REAL SWISS hotel. If you want some ski, some mount walk and just have a rest you should come here!!! Very clean. Staff very friendly. Highly recommended!!! I will come back here for sure!

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2018

This review of the Sunstar Flims Hotel is from the American tourist perspective having exchanged “free” week with Interval International. This hotel met my expectations, there was areas that I would rate as exceptional- the dining experience. This is a medium sized hotel. The amenities such as sauna, steam, pool was clean and well maintained but small in size. In the 3rd week of March, there occupancy was light so crowed communal areas were not an issue. In the basement they have a nice ‘boot up room’ where you can store your ski equipment, they have this nifty system of storing your boots in a rack made of tubes flowing with hot hater to dry out your ski boots. The rooms are small by American standards ~200 sq. ft, had an alpine feel, spacious deck and free WIFI that was fast enough to stream. Gripes: 1) There is no self-laundry apparently within 75 miles of this hotel, an unfilled niche for an entrepreneur and laundry was EXPENSIVE, like $5 to wash your boxers! 2) With Interval International. My “free” week stuck me with a $175 service fee and also required me to purchase a meal plan for breakfast and dinner at about $85 USD per person per day - ouch. I had read about Switzerland being expensive by American standards and it’s very true. On the one hand this was excruciatingly expensive and obviously discouraged exploring other restaurants, on the other hand I have to say that sitting down to a 5-course meal nightly was a unique experience seldom found in the states…and the food was exceptional in every regard every night. This was a delighter and despite the expense was a memorable experience. The evening meal was a 5-star dining experience in every respect and the wait staff were professional and attentive. The hotel has a mini bus that drives guests to the Flims Ski Area. Fantastic but expensive experience.

• Stayed: March 2018, traveled with family