“Oh Dear!”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Kent
“Oh Dear!”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Having lived in walking distance of this Great Building for many years it has been somewhere I have taken guest for a drink and a meal many times in the past with no problems with the food.
NOT ANYMORE, this fab building has been taken over by the Green King chain. Not to be put off and having guests for the bank holiday weekend we went for lunch. Oh Dear... thinking under new management it would be trying to make a good impression. The table, vinegar bottle, and cutlery were all grubby. It gets worse. We ordered, Hunters Chicken, Jack with Cheese and Bacon, and a Lasagne. Service from the young girls was good. After a few minutes of eating my husband stated his Lasadne was cold in the middle. A very nice young lady changed it for him. After starting his second it happened again. Surely not, surely a temperature probe is used??? MY husband went without dinner from this point.
Asking to see the manager a grubby man appeared in a round neck T-shirt with a bad attitude. I asked if them had a probe? The man stated he had done it himself and he must have probed the wrong place!!!! WRONG PLACE. I will be writing to Green King for fear of incompetent staff cooking or should I say not reheating food correctly for the public. I will never ever eat here again, and this is such a shame as the building is so great for visitors and within walking distance of my home. I feel a 1rating is too much for our experience here. Anyone in the area who wants good food try The King and Queen at East Malling, Kings Arms in Boxley or The George at Trottiscliffe.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Kate G

London, United Kingdom
“On the right track”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Having travelled down from North East London to visit The Friars we decided to stop off for lunch with friends before returning home. The bar and outside seating area is really nice but strangely the interior eating areas lacked atmosphere on the day of our visit. I am sure if it was busier it would be a lot better. The bar staff were very pleasant, smart, polite and helpful.

However our positive feel for the place went down hill when we were left waiting for over an hour for our second course with other later arrivals receiving meals before us. After complaining at the delay and lack of attention we were given a full apology and offered complimentary drinks and even free coffee/desserts (we declined the latter mindful of our waistlines!). In my book if someone puts their hands up and takes full responsibility for failure to provide a proper service that is fine with me and we ended the lunch on a pleasant footing.

Will we return? Yes I think we will give it another shot as it is a nice venue, the staff are nice and the prices are reasonable unlike many rip off places in the UK we have visited.

1 Thank RamboRoger
London, United Kingdom
“Off day?”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Popped in for a meal last week, we wondered what it would be like with the new owners being in place.

Service was slow (25 mins for Nachos??) The bar service favoured regulars to the extent that I had to complain to get served

When the main meals arrived my partners was missing - we had to wait another 10 mins - just as well it was a salad

The food was OK nothing more.

The outside area is scruffy, the toilets not very clean not what you would expect for somewhere recently re opened, other people still seem to like the Wealden Hall - we had a pretty poor time and I won't bother going back there are plenty of other local places to eat.

1 Thank Clayhenry
East Malling
“A wonderful venue for a drink and to eat”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

What a change!, what an improvement since the new owners took over. The venue is now a great place to spend time with friends and family. Whether it is a night out, a get together or a special meal in the restuarant up stairs. A wide range of affordable drinks and wonderful food which is suitable for all tastes, with specials on different nights, Sunday Carvery and a bargain menu. The staff are welcoming, helpful and create a friendly atmosphere. One of the best pub/restaurants in the area. Not to be missed.

Camberley
“Predictable deterioration”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I used to enjoy this restaurant when it was privately owned - good food and service. Now taken over by a pub chain (Greene King's Old English Inns - although not even updated on their website) and the service has gone for a burton. Young, inexperienced staff trying their best, but not succeeding. Come back Giuseppe!

1 Thank daveww