“Something of a find in Larkfield”
Review of The Wealden Hall

The Wealden Hall
Ranked #2 of 11 Restaurants in Larkfield
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
“Something of a find in Larkfield”
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We were looking for lunch in the Maidstone area when we stumbled upon this place. I think if we hadn't been caught at the traffic ligfhts, we might have driven straight past, I'm glad we didn't. It looked bg and old and inviting so we shuffled across a couple of lanes and nudged our way in.

Through a fairly narrow entrance, there's a large if tatty car park not made up at all, just loose cinder. We just tagged our car on a line of others and wandered over the patio and in. It was drizzling a little and no-one was seated outside, although there's plenty of room. The bar faces you from the rear entrance and we walked up to be welcomed by - I'm guessing - the manager. The building looks big and grand by he was down to earth, although scrupulously polite. I said we hadn't booked, but it wasn't a problem, they were busy, but had spaces.

He took our drinks order and told us to go find a table where he'd find us, which he duly did. There were 3 or 4 waiters serving and clearing, but he seemed the only one able to take orders which meant we waited, but not for long, and certainly not too long.

The food was fresh and fast. It was well cooked, and like the trend in Britain leaning towards to generous as regards portions. We were both hungry, and both left some food which we couldn't eat, annoying really as it was of excellent quality.

My meal, a sirloin steak was £18. Yet somehow that, my partners Ploughmans, and two drinks came in at under £30, not bad. We ate on the ground floor so didn't see the first floor seating, but were impressed noetheless. Beware of the beams, steps, and other obstacles though, this is an old building, a little on the dark side, and with enough.

The manager is of the old school, and lets you site and enjoy your drink and the ambience before taking your order. If you're in a rush, just let him know and he'll hurry things along for you, if not just take you time and let it all happen.

They're kid and family friendly, and there's enough space for all to get along without being in each others laps. In fact this is one place I'd seek out again if I were in the area.

Recommended.

• Visited May 2012

Kent, United Kingdom
“Wealden Hall Larkfield”
Reviewed May 7, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a lovely Sunday lunch here a few weeks ago and found the fixed menu to be good value for money with three courses for £17.50. On that basis we returned today for a family celebration and were really disappointed with the meal for the cost. One of our party had saddle of lamb, tasty enough but a very tiny portion. My husband tried the Duck and was disappointed to be presented with a stringy duck leg not very well cooked. We all felt the starters were overpriced, the garlic prawns being close to ten pounds a portion and the smoked salmon starter would have been enhanced by some brown bread.
This place has a lot of potential being a beautiful old building with a lot of historic atmosphere but somehow the potential is lost and it is difficult to put your finger on why. Overall, unless you are going to take advantage of the fixed Sunday lunch menu then I wouldn't recommend eating from al a carte which in my view is over priced.

• Visited May 2012
Sandwich, United Kingdom
“5th Visit for Lunch and the Standard is Consistently High”
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Today was my fifth visit and I have never been disappointed, as the food and service are of a high standard, particularly considering the fair prices for lunch.

• Visited March 2012
“Beautiful old building”
Reviewed January 27, 2012

This place is stunning! Ive eaten here a number of times. Outside in the summer, upstairs in the restaurant and also lunch in the bar. The food is fantastic, service is great. I would recommend this restaurant.

Kent
“We would definitely never go back!”
Reviewed January 23, 2012

We went to Wealdon Hall with a group of 10 friends for our annual Christmast gathering. Our table was booked for 7.30 pm and unfortunately due to traffic, my husband and I didn't arrive until 7.40 pm. Upon our arrival our friends advised us that the waiters were less than pleased that we had not all yet arrived and we were hurriedly directed to our table. The starters were served straight away and keenly whipped away by the 'hovering' waitiers as soon as we had finished, along with the remains of the christmas crackers. On 3 occassions we had to tell the waiters to not clear away the starters of 2 of our friends who were yet to arrive (7.55 pm). Each time another cracker was pulled, one of the waiters was there to clear up. The main course, followed by the dessert was prompty served and even more prompty cleared away. The meal was over by 9pm and by 10.30 pm the hovering waiters were clearing away all the table and encouraging us to leave. We managed to drag it out, until 10.50 when we felt so uncomforable (heating had been turned off) that we left. The food was very mediocre and the waiters extremely rude.

• Visited December 2011