“Great place to stay and good value for money”
Review of Schmid und Alfa

Schmid und Alfa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Brunnen
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Most of it has been said before: wonderful view, good room, generous breakfast buffet. Just one quibble - the bathroom lacked a few refinements, e.g. there was nowhere in the shower to place your shampoo & body wash etc and there was no plug in the hand basin. What looked like a plug could not be used to stop water flowing out. Okay if you just want to wash your hands but not so useful if you want a basin of water for some purpose, e.g. for washing undies. When I asked about this, I was treated kindly, told that this was the latest design of sink, and received an invitation to use the hotel's washing machine for my clothes. However, this small matter was more than compensated for as all other facilities were good and the staff very helpful and efficient. We stayed on a half board basis and the evening meals were excellent and great value for money - 4 courses, with a choice of 2 starters and 2 mains and when one of us did not want the dessert the staff were happy to offer ice cream as an alternative. The waiters were all efficient and friendly. Overall, a lovely place to stay and we would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: You must ask for a lake view - well worth the extra.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Filisur
There are newer reviews for Schmid und Alfa

Reviewed July 7, 2014

If you could only bottle the service this hotel would take over the world. We had a spectacular view, a clean modern room with a comfortable bed and an excellent breakfast. The manageress/owner was a pleasure to deal with.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mick B
Reviewed June 11, 2014

We stayed at Hotel Schmid and booked a two bedroom apartment for our family of four with two teenagers. The people at the reception are really nice and friendly and they gave us a key to open the hotel and our room when the reception closes at night. The breakfast was included and was amazing, though it wasn't hot, but was still great! One day my wife and kids weren't feeling well so I went for the breakfast alone and the staff actually insisted that they have the breakfast too so they gave me a tray full of food for my family which was extremely nice! The view of the Lake in front is absolutely SPECTACULAR and the area around is nice and peaceful to walk around and enjoy. A ferry comes right in front of the hotel on the lake which takes you to areas around Lake Luzern and is a must! The room had a bedroom with a king bed, another with two single beds and a nice separate living area and a kitchen with a sitting area. The apartment is very spacious and cozy at the same time. It has a nice balcony with chairs and a table which gives views of the street and the lake right in front.
Just a small let down was that the wooden floor was creaky, but otherwise we had a splendid time and we would definitely come back here!!

Room Tip: Get a room in the Hotel Schmid for a bigger apartment and Alfa for smaller rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank aquafinatraveller
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We had fun bargaining with the hotel staff for a room for the night. They had great senses of humor and were more than accommodating. They set us right for food, and set us up in wonderful rooms with outstanding views of the lake and mountains. This is one of the best views from a hotel room ever.

The room was clean, neat, large, and comfortable. The hotel was spotless. The breakfast in the restaurant was superb.

My wife and I had stayed here in 2000, and I sought it out when we drove past Brunnen. I had very fond memories, and I just added to them.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank CommanderChip
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I arrived to a warm welcome, was given a double room (even though I was a solo traveler) with a view to die for. My window opened up onto the lake Uri, and the mountains rose in the distance. I couldn't have been happier with my room on the 4th floor. Breakfast was a lovely affair downstairs in a cozy room and staff were kind to keep my luggage while I went off hiking. They provided good hiking advice and maps.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room on the upper floors (I was in 441) with a balcony. Mine didn't have a bal...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Location, location, location! You find the hotel right on the shore of Lake Lucerne, just across the famous Rutli meadow where the history of Switzerland 1291 started and you can go there every hour by boat from early morning. View over the lake is just amazing! Local bus stop just round the corner (5 mins to the railway station), or it takes 10 mins by foot for the train station. Trains to Lucerne go every approx 20 mins and it takes 50 mins only. Service at the hotel is ok: fresh swiss breakfast every morning, standard restaurant, internet pc for guests and satellite lcd tv with hundreds of programms incl. czech news channel CT24!

Room Tip: definitely ask for seaview
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 19, 2013

The Hotel Schmid and Alpha is conveniently situated on the lakeside very close to the Brunnen landing stage where boats from Luzern and Fluelen call on their way around Lakes Luzern and Uri. Brunnen SBB railway station is an 8 - 10 minute walk or you can catch the local bus which is timed to enable connections with the trains.
This was my fist visit to the Hotel Schmid and I was greeted at reception with the excellent news that they had up-graded my room to one with a lake view. And what an amazing lake view it was too. What a delight to gaze out across the lake with its precipitous fiord like rock formations to the east and the softer, gentler slopes to the west.
The rooms at the hotel are accessed by lift, spacious, furnished in modern style and have all the usual features such as multi-channel TV (with all UK channels), fridge, telephone and cosy, very comfortable beds. The bathrooms are also large and mine had a combined shower and bath of good size.
The staff at the hotel were friendly and welcoming and of particular note was Mirah, (who I knew from a previous visit to Brunnen, but at a different hotel) who was very efficient and had a most pleasant manner and ensured her guests were well catered for at the breakfast buffet. There was a nice variety of produce available as well as the usual coffee or Twinnings tea in assorted flavours.
In the entrance/lounge area there was information/maps about Brunnen and the local area as well as train and bus timetables. They also had a free computer terminal available for guest use.
I was very impressed with the hotel Schmid as it offered excellent location and views with good customer service plus upgrade at a very reasonable price (for Switzerland).
The Brunnen area is scenically stunning and this coupled with the excellent Swiss transport system make it an ideal holiday destination.
Thanks for your true Swiss hospitality. I will return as soon as I can.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are worth it for the view alone.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brunnen
Seehotel Waldstaetterhof Brunnen
#1 of 2 in Sisikon
Park Hotel Vitznau
Park Hotel Vitznau
#1 of 6 in Vitznau

Been to Schmid und Alfa? Share your experiences!