“A bit disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Brig
UK
“A bit disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2011

I was a bit disappointed by this hotel, perhaps because my expectations were unrealistically high having stayed in excellent hotels in Switzerland previously. The location is good, right next to the Castle in Brig. Saying that, Brig is a small place so nowhere is that far from anywhere. Brig itself is centrally located with good transport links and nice views of surrounding mountains, and the castle adds a bit of interest.

The room I had was small and really bare with white walls and a hard floor. I found it quite depressing. Perhaps it wouldn't have mattered if I was with a group or partner, but as a lone traveller I rather dreaded going back to it. I suspect that it had probably gone unused for some time before my stay. It was adquately clean but there were several spiders and when I used the shower a huge millipede fell on me! I was seriously unimpressed by that.

My room had a sink and shower but no toilet, the toilet was located in the corridor just outside. I'm not sure if it was shared or not. It was a bit inconvenient. Annoyingly there was no soap in the toilet sink or the sink in my room - there was liquid soap in the shower but again it was inconvenient when trying to wash the hands.

On the plus side, the bed was comfortable and the super warm duvet meant I was comfortable all night. The staff were pleasant. The breakfast was adequate, a cold buffet, though nothing special.

Overall, I probably wouldn't stay here again myself as I did find the room a bit depressing and didn't like all the insect life. But probably in higher season and in a group or with a partner it would be just fine.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank FearfulFlyer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Lakeville, MN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2011

We had a family room , suitable for four people. Balcony, free wifi, good breakfast. Short walk to downtown restaurants and shops. Cool castle next to hotel, along with nice little park. Free parking. I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Lisse, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2010

On their website it looks like a luxury hotel but it isn't. To our opinion this is a budget hotel. So we give it only two stars. The whole atmosphere of the hotel was a little outdated. But for a few nights in Brig this is a perfect place to stay when you are not looking for luxury.

We booked a basic room and that was a perfect description. The room was small and very basic. The bathroom was also quite small and just enough. We had a small balcony which we had to share with an other room. It was just enough to sit on with the two of us but the view on the castle and the city centre was perfect.

The location of the hotel is perfect. It’s about five minutes walk to the city centre of Brig where you find plenty of restaurants and terraces to drink am wine, beer or coffee..

The staff is very friendly and helpful. At breakfast it was hard to get things refreshed because there was only one girl there. We liked the opportunity to have breakfast in the garden.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Heemskerk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2010

We visited the Schlosshotel twice, once in 2008 and once in 2009, both for a few days. In our opinion it is one of the best places from where you can visit Wallis. For trips Brig is a good start. The Riederalp, Bettmeralp, Belalp, Zermatt, Saas Fee etc. lie within 45 minutes. The rooms are very clean with good beds. Breakfast is also pretty good, with fresh bread, eggs, cuttlery and jams. Within 2 minutes walk you are in the centre of Brig with a lot of places where one can eat dinner or have a beer on the terrace.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Lancs
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2010

I had intended to stop at this hotel at Christmas, however when I turned up they had given my room to someone else, despite the fact I had booked some 7 months earlier, so I was moved to another hotel.
I returned in February, and was given a nice room with a great view of the Schloss building. This is the best aspect of this hotel. At night all the corridors are pitch black, there are switches to turn the lights on but they dont stay on very long. There is a nice lounge on the top floor with a free internet connection. However in the evening, the lights are also on a timer, so when on the internet all the lights go out after a few minutes, the only way to acivate them is to walk across the lounge to the sensor so the lights will then light up again. There are no staff on duty during the evening, so the hotel feels like it is shut, especially with every corridor and room in dark.
The breakfast is average, nothing special, the lady working in the breakfast room does not speak much English.
The hotel also offers a free minibus service to pick you up and take you to the main railway station. On our last day we had arranged to be taken from the Hotel to the railway station. We waited at the hotel with our suitcases but the minibus never appeared, we used the telephone on the reception desk to phone a member of staff who told us abruptly that the minibus was not available, so we had a last minute dash to the station in order to catch the train, not a very nice way to end our holiday.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Valais, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2009

The best thing about Schlosshotel is its fantastic view of the Stockapler Palace which is just 3 minutes away on foot ~ do request for a room with a view when making your rsvn.

The Palace lights up beautifully @ night, you can go up to the Lounge on the top floor to get a wonderful view of it. The Lounge is also where you can get free internet access & complimentary drinks (coffee & tea).

The quaint Old Town of Brig is also easily accessible from Schlosshotel, just go through the courtyards of Stockalper Palace. If travelling with heavy luggage, you may want to consider taking a taxi from the train station as the hotel is quite a distance away (about 10 mins on foot).

The double room we had was clean & very spacious with a balcony that looks out onto the garden. The bed was comfortable enough & the daily breakfast buffet was adequate. The Reception Staff are competent & professional though the lady on duty provided much warmer service than the young man...

The hotel may not have on-site laundry service but you can ask the Reception to arrange for it to be done elsewhere. It cost us CHF20 for a load of laundry & we got back our clothes all nice & clean by the next morning.

When in Brig, make time to visit the magnificent Matterhorn. Zermatt is just a 1.5-hr train ride away, well worth making it a day trip if you're staying for a few days in Brig.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2009

Though a 10 minute walk from the train station, Schloss Hotel does seem to be the best spot in lovely Brig. We got a third floor room with a picture-perfect castle and mountain view from the small balcony. Our clean room was a "double"--two twins fit together with a dip in the middle--and came with a writing desk but no toiletry amenities, just a dove liquid soap dispenser, but was otherwise quite comfortable.

The staff were very friendly though keep in mind not always english-speaking, and breakfast was very good with tasty coffee, croissants, yogurt and muesli, hardboiled eggs, cheese and ham.

Our impression of this hotel was great until we had to come back unexpectedly to stay another night and got a fourth floor room off the hotel "lounge" which was old, dark, and oddly put together, with a view of the apartment building behind the hotel--so definitely request a castle-view room. If I couldn't get that, I might stay a bit down the street at the Hotel du Pont.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple