Open today: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Review Highlights
A truly unforgettable, amazing experience

It has been almost a year since my wife and I visited the Elephant Freedom Project on our... read more

Reviewed July 2, 2020
I4165MBmattw
Santa Monica, California
A beautiful, peaceful place for an elephant!

I have been an animal lover & activist for most of my life. I came to Sri Lanka for elephant... read more

Reviewed April 3, 2020
belladm5

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Kegalle
from $896.00
More Info
All reviews cooking lesson cooking class sri lankan family amazing experience the river local school host family elephant dung morning session sri lankan cooking lovely family amazing food english school learning how melon other places small group
Selected filters
Reviewed December 21, 2017

I think it's great that they take care of the elephant and treat him well. Also the food was superb and the host were really lovely! Thank you very much!

Reviewed December 20, 2017

Elephant Freedom Project appealed to us as it seemed to be the only organisation whereby the elephants are free to roam and are not ridden by visitors.

We were lucky enough to be the only people to arrive that day and we firstly took the elephant for a walk through the jungle. He seemed calm, content and at ease with his trainer. We followed this with a trip to the Elephant Dung Paper Factory and then came back to join the elephant in the river where we bathed him. Amazing to be so close to an elephant who seemed so content!

Would thoroughly recommend. The family & guides are so welcoming and excellent sources of information. Don't miss this!

Reviewed December 16, 2017

The Elephant Freedom Project is a small family run affair which aims to provide a home for elephants that have been used in riding places, logging industry etc.
They currently have two elephants that you can interact with. This is a place where elephants are not chained or maltreated or made to perform for you. No elephant riding here.
It is an amazing privilege instead to spent time with an elephant previously badly treated commercially now unrestrained so it is an ethically great tourist spot. Anyone who wishes to see an elephant without concern for their welfare or feel you are there just to line the pockets of mahouts /owners, please go here.
My husband and I were the only two on our afternoon trip and our elephant was Nilame, a beautiful male elephant.
We were led down to the river where the elephant was bathing freely under the care of his mahout. No chains tethering him in the water as many places do.
We waded out and scrubbed him clean.... I can not describe what an amazing experience this was. We then walked with him through the jungle as he grazed, learning so much about elephants from our great guide Kasun. Kasun spoke excellent English and captured many great photos for us so we could interact with Nilame and not worry about capturing the moment.

Reviewed December 11, 2017 via mobile

Really worth visiting! We are traveling with 2 kids (2 and 4 year old) during the walk with the elephant carried in a backsack not because of danger but because the youngest was a little bit scared but both loved it as we did! They are still talking about “our” friend the elephant

Reviewed December 10, 2017

The Elephant Freedom Project is a small family run place, which aims to provide shelter for captive elephants. The Project has two elephants at the moment, although we only saw Nilame when we visited. There are no elephant rides or party tricks - instead you get to spend the most amazing, intimate day with Nilame. The number of visitors each day is restricted (there were only six of us the day we went) so it's best to book in advance. After a welcome cup of tea and introduction, we started off by collecting dung from Nilame's enclosure (rubber gloves provided!) We then walked with and fed her and just generally "hung out" until she was ready to walk back again - no rush at all. It was then back to the house for a cookery lesson on Sri Lankan cuisine. We prepared several dishes and had great fun doing so - I just wish I could remember everything we were taught as all the dishes were absolutely delicious, some of the best we had during our time in Sri Lanka. After lunch we went down to the river and helped the Mahout to wash Nilame - a process which involves using coconut shells to scrub her, to ensure she is free from parasites and one which she clearly enjoys, as did we. I really loved the fact this was just a small, non-touristy environment and felt that we learnt so much more because of this. The family are clearly passionate about what they do for the elephants and I would highly recommend visiting the Project if you are in the area.

Date of experience: November 2017