“If I only had a better room...”

Hotel Wilhelm Busch
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Norderstedt
Ramat Gan, Israel
“If I only had a better room...”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I stayed at the Wilhelm Busch Hotel mainly because my reason for visiting was a few minutes drive away, and I was recommended to choose it.
The hotel seemed nice, a bit on the old side, but well-kept. The restaurant was quite good, and the lobby had lots of books to read (mostly on the British royal family, who would have imagined?!). Breakfast was standard German breakfast, with lots of cheese and meat to choose from and not much vegetables, but that's the standard.
My main issue with this hotel, and the reason I did not give 4 points, was my room. It was on the 4th floor, the top one at the hotel, and unfortunately I had to carry my luggage by the stairs, since the elevator only reached the 3rd floor. The room itself was quite small, with very little space in the room itself to even open my suitcase, small shower and slanted roof, which all in all gave quite a claustrophobic feeling. A/C was nowhere to be found, and luckily the weather had changed from 30 degrees to 21 to make life a bit easier for me.
All in all, if you have business in Norderstadt it's not a bad possibility, just make sure you don't stay at the top floor.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the top floor, elevators are limited.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The hotel is really nice. Rooms are not very big but comfortable enough, and always clean.
There is no AC, but not really needed...
The breakfast is very good, for sure the best of the hotel! Well together with the staff of the hotel, they are all so attentive and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
London
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in July whilst in Norderstedt for a hockey tournament. The hotel was lovely and the staff absolutely charming. Room was clean and comfy and the photos on the website are accurate. The breakfast was excellent - particularly on the Sunday when it is served until 1pm! The barman Andreas was great fun! Reception were very helpful providing us with maps, directions and recommendations. Overall a thoroughly enjoyable stay. The hotel has its own very nice restaurant but they also recommended a local German restaurant which was excellent too.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the road so there was a little noise one morning from a delivery so ask for a ro...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Paris, France
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Just a one-night stay and the hotel was recommended by our supplier. It's in northern suburban Hamburg and doesn't look much from the outside. There's a spacious and secure garage underground for those who drive there. The registration welcome was truly friendly, finished off by the offer of a complementary glass of port or sherry (four choices) if you wanted. The rooms are just great : everything you need, perfectly clean, no expensive fripperies, but high quality. Excellent shower, a basin on which you can pose your shaving stuff, and so on : all well thought out. We ate in the restaurant which was very fine, but again without pretention. The serving staff were as friendly and helpful as it's possible to imagine, but not intrusive. A peaceful and profound sleep in a very comfortable bed and then up again for a superb buffet breakfast (huge choice covering all tastes). And all for a price which you would pay in much lesser hotels. I will certainly use this hotel on my next trip to Hamburg. The only question I have is over its convenience for the centre of Hamburg if that's your need (it wasn't ours). It's not far, but I don't know about the public transport in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
San Jose, California
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stay in Norderstedt/Northern Hamburg several times a year on business and tried out many hotels. For the past several years I always picked the Wilhelm Busch for the following reasons:

- the owners really care and so do all employees = great service, even in the middle of the night when you have jet lag
- nice rooms (especially the "theme rooms")
- great breakfast buffet
- a nice restaurant during the week, other decent ones in walking distance (<1mile)
- best value for the money in Norderstedt/Northern Hamburg

The hotel has no gym or pool.

The location is a bit off, but in walking distance to the subway U1 and within 30 minutes from Hamburg harbor by car.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Here is the short version: the people who run this hotel are stunning! You get excellent value for money, the service is far better than any **** hotel I've ever stayed at and the food they serve is perfect. They go out of their way to please you. They have the slogan: "feel at home while being abroad." I guess other hotels claim that too. These guys, however, really mean it.

Here is the long version: I was in need of a place where I could rent a meeting room for one-on-one coaching. All the hotels around Hamburg Airport were fully booked. What looked like misfortune at first turned out to be all good... One phone call to this hotel had me completely sorted. They offered me a nicely sized suite and the room right next door which was perfect for my purposes. The suite manages to be stylish and comfortable at the same time. The decor is an intriguing blend of Mediterranean und North German. I can recommend this arrangement for business as well as private travel. Why? My wife was traveling with me and we both have the habit of dismantling menus at restaurants. We like to have a bit of that with a sprinkle of this with a bit of the other thrown in. Your usual staff tend to sneak out when seeing us a second time. Not so at the Wilhelm Busch! They simply never said no. Not once. As we are both used to a lot of "sorry sir, no sir, we can't do that" we became curious as to how far the flexibility would stretch. We have friends in Hamburg who love French style Moule et Frites. We asked the manager if they could arrange mussels for the following evening. The answer was, as always: "yes sir, we can do that. What time will you be dining"? We stayed at the hotel for 14 days and the quality of service was maintained at this excellent level.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed October 15, 2012

perfect stay when you're in Hamburg with the car. really perfect value for money here, beautiful and really nice rooms with attention to details. great breakfast. i can recommend it to everybody comming to Hamburg for a weekend for holiday.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple