“Best surf school in Europe”

Surf School Lanzarote
More attraction details
Owner description: Do use our website please to find out more about the school and contact details. There you will find out about the course that suits you and all our price structure.
London, United Kingdom
“Best surf school in Europe”
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

I just came back from a 1 week trip in Lanzarote with a friend of mine. The main purpose of the trip was surf.
We decided to book our lessons with the Surf School Lanzarote given the great feedbacks on te web. We initially decided to take only three days as beginner surfers usually write good feedbacks for any surf schools (even the really bad ones)...
My friend and I already had 7-10 days experiencing surf and wanted to make sure the course would improve our abilities and encompass all the areas of surfing (paddling out, board designs, currents, safety, etc...) and not only the basic of taking off on white water.

I can say now that the course went WELL BEYOND EXPECTATIONS (am French and am rarely so enthusiastic). We initially booked for 3 days, but rapidly changed our minds to take the 5 days course (with 1 rest day after day 2 - we are fit but really needed it).
Here is why the course was amazing:

1/ instructors teach you the best technics, learn you how to unlearn what some mediocre previous instructors may have taught you.

2/ the course encompass a very wide range of topics including best in class take off / paddling technics to surf history, board design, weather, tides etc...

3/ there were always at least two instructors in order to adapting the course to the people's different level of surfing abilities and experience. This avoids the feeling of being slowed down by beginners or slow learners.

4/ great coaching: instructors actually care a lot about your individual development and manage to keep an eye on you during each sets and provide you with great individualised advice to get better.

8/ all the people who were with us in the class during that week saw their surfing abilities improve dramatically, independtly of them being men, women, old, young, fit or less fit.

7/ On the contrary: surfers from the other schools never looked to improve. Our feeling also was that they never received the same level of guidance regarding safety...

9/ follow-up : Tim and the instructors are open to keep in touch regarding fitness tips, board designs. All this for free, just because they care the stuff.

Bottom line: despite my previous experiences, I actually found out I did not know much about surf prior to this week. I think 90pct of people are in the same situation as I was. Now my abilities and knowledge about surf have dramatically improved thanks to the course and i would recommend it to anyone in the beginner / intermediate level. Thats the best investment for anyone who you seriously want to become a real stylish surfer !
So thanks so much to Dan, Dan, Jake and Tim for everything
Tibo & Maverick

Surfschoollanzarote, Owner at Surf School Lanzarote, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thats an awsome review guys ale France indeed ! Was so good to see you imporve and thanks for listening so much and putting all into practise . Hope to see you again guys and thanks indeed and keep in touch of course

• Polish first
Poznan, Poland
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Great coaching and individual approach”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Those guys are not only teaching you how to surf, but also giving you proper basics and some knowledge to help you understand how this sport works. They approach is very good: you feel well guided and looked after. Groups are divided for smaller parts regarding level of each participant. On the day when we started our course we had inctructor Dan just for us (2 people)! Rest of the guys were looked after by second instructor.
Instructors are always following your progres, giving you instant feedback and helping you to get better. They also giving you hints how to practice at home to have more fun.
Great concept of that school is a rest day, after first 2 days of training. You can rest, relax a bit more and have more fun in the following days :)
we had 3 days course and had lot of fun while doing it.
School is well organised, you can get very good contact with them. Worth to surf with them!

Visited November 2013
Surfschoollanzarote, Owner at Surf School Lanzarote, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Thanks do much and glad you mentioned the days off as that really helps people too .. hope we see you here again and do keep in touch please.
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great coaching and wel run school”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I had a great experience in all aspects of the 3 day course I took in November 2013. All the coaching was top quality and much better than what I am used to at home here in the Basque country. I went to get better at catching unbroken waves but the beach at Famara is not the best for that. I spent most of the time surfing broken waves and perfecting the basics which I really needed- pop up, turns, foot work. They have great boards and even though I dinged one on my day off they didn´t charge me which is quite amazing. Tim the owner is great and a great source of info during and even after the course when you are at home.
I can´t recommend the school enough. The accomodation through the school is excellent for the price and the atmosphere of the town is unbeatable

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Richblit
Surfschoollanzarote, Owner at Surf School Lanzarote, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thanks for that review that's really helpful and do keep in contact . I have to say that you were just unlucky with your 3 days here as far as the surf and unbroken waves and as many of our clients will tell you the beach can have its perfect days for your level of surfing too and of coures beyond .... Next Time !
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent surf teaching”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

A professional team of surf teachers kept 3 teenagers and an 8 year rapt and really motivated . We all learnt a huge amount in one week and the teaching of keeping safe in the water was particularly well done and hugely appreciated. We are all keen for more. Many thanks to the excellent team .
Kind regards jo

Visited October 2013
Surfschoollanzarote, Owner at Surf School Lanzarote, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Thanks for that and it was great to see the progress that all made. Hope we see yuo again sometime butr do ask surf related questions in the meantime please
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“excellent place to progress”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

we went to Lanzarote for holidays and we came back for Tim & the team. After having attended several different course in the UK, Spain and California we decided to go back to Famara to get some proper coaching and improve our surfing. Do not expect a 2h beginner crash course, this is a proper course where you will get appropriate coaching to your age/fitness/level and "different board for different people".
The team is great fun to be with, their life-long passion for surfing is contagious. Go for it if you're serious about surfing & having a great time
I can only echo previous comments: had a flippin' good time!!!

It's Monday morning and I'm missing my cucumber & cheese sandwich already ....

Visited October 2013
Surfschoollanzarote, Owner at Surf School Lanzarote, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thanks for that, thats a great review ! The sandwich is in the post !