“Go somewhere newer”

and 1 more site!
Burghotel Cochem
Ranked #39 of 42 Hotels in Cochem
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Bit of a scanky place. Nothing new since about 1970 as born out by the photos in the lift.Bathroom and toilet too small to be practical.Strange noise in back of hotel annex during the day that sounds like a industrial washers going.Couldn't track it down though. Paid 90 euro's-- not worth it.

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank hertshezbulla

Reviewed February 4, 2010

Cochem is a wonderful town right along the sleepy Mosel river and makes a good base for exploring the valley. The hotel is in a good location right along the promenade.

I showed up without reservations and used a service outside the tourist office to locate a room. When I entered, I was pleased by the decor of dining room and the upstairs dining with a river view is nice. My actual room, however, was pretty bland and felt more like a hostel with a private, closet-sized bathroom. I was pretty excited about the pool, but it was tiny and freezing, so I did little more than dip my feet.

Cochem has plenty of options for accommodation and I'd bet there are way better places to stay at the same price point.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank TravelFotog77
Reviewed November 17, 2009

Drove into the lovely town of Cochem - Picked this hotel at random and chose poorly - The lady on reception couldn't have been less friendly and when I asked if she had a map, she wanted to know why I wanted one? Had a room which evidently had a view of the river but ended up in a separate building with a very ordinary room and not much of a view. Very disappointing

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank redd27
Reviewed September 22, 2006

We stayed during the first week of September ‘06, paid $100 euro per night. Room was small, dated, and had a sleigh / canopy bed – not good for a 6’ 2” man – I had to sleep on the diagonal. Tiny bathroom with a shower stall. The balcony provides a great view and the hotel location is fine, right on Mosel Promenade, but you get a better view of Cochem and the castle from the other side of the river. Windows are single pane and during our stay, there was a band playing at a bar across the river until 2am every other night – bring ear plugs! The restaurant has a mid-evil decoration scheme and the food is very good for the value. The menu is huge and has translations in English. Breakfast was typical for Europe / Germany. Hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the Banhof, you need a taxi if you have bags. The Cochem tourist board will send you a book on all hotels, look them up. There are many other choices in Cochem, pass on the Burg unless you are dying for a balcony, but try the restaurant.

Stayed: August 2006
4  Thank schombo
Reviewed October 24, 2005

For 15 euros less, I decided to stay in a room with no view in the annex of the hotel. The annex is connected to the main hotel, so there was no problem getting around. The room and bathroom were small, the window looked over an airshaft, but it was perfectly adequate. The breakfast buffet had a wide range of options and the indoor pool area looked really cute (did not bring my suit!). My only issues were that the walls were paper thin, so I could hear my neighbors, and that the hotel only turns on the heat at night (it can be cold in the off season)! I found the staff to be very helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed: October 2005
4  Thank ams54
Reviewed June 20, 2005

We have stayed here three times and will come back later this year. We have been threated very well. The small swimming-pool, the cosy restaurant, the Mosel-teracce with an excellent view; we feel at home here. Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2005
4  Thank Janbanan
Reviewed July 23, 2004

I booked a room with a view of the river with a credit card at the Burg Hotel the day before my and my husband's trip to Cochem. When we arrived the next day, the lady told me our room was no longer available and she then offered me a room without a view of the river for the same price. The worst part of the entire event was that after my husband and I ate dinner and walked around (and cooled off), we went to ask the lady why our room was given away. Instead of apologizing to us, for 20 minutes she took absolutely no blame, tried to explain that she was trying to give us a better room (one without a view), and even tried to place the blame on us. It completely ruined our trip in a very beautiful little Mosel town.

18  Thank TravelinThru751