“Unfortunately a tourist trap”

Ellis-Schnitzelhaus
Ranked #63 of 78 Restaurants in Cochem
Cuisines: German
Description: The water I ordered had a strange taste, my baked fish had no flavor and was very fatty, the fries were not cooked through. When I asked for remoulade or mayonnaise I got a normal supermarket plastic bottle of mayonnaise on the table. My husband’s schnitzel was not really what a german would expect and the portion was pretty small. Later he had tummy pains and diarrhea. All of this plus a beer costed 19 euro. The toilet was not that clean (the smell of old and mould rushed me out).
Reviewed May 8, 2014

This restaurant also has a back entrance that opens onto the pedestrian area of Cochem. The name was promising but unfortunately it proved to be a tourist trap (which can happen in Cochem). Very moderate quality. Luckily the food was not that expensive.

You can better go to a bakery when you are in a touristy city in Germany, these are almost always fine for lunch.

4  Thank Fedor-and-Rivka
There are newer reviews for Ellis-Schnitzelhaus

Reviewed April 29, 2014

we stopped here because we like schnitzels .
we were shown to a clean table and our order was taken , what came was a authentic schnitzel with peper sauce and some wedges it was great . nothing special but look at the price the man who served us could not really speak englisn but he tried .
i would like to remind people you go to a schnitzel place to eat just that this place is devoted to schnitzells which are home made and are delicious .freshly cooked the toilets were old but clean and did not smell at all . but i went for the food

1  Thank bearsbooks
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Four of us went in this place looking for some typically German food. One of our party couldn't eat his steak as it was so chewy and another managed about half of it. The schnitzel I had was OK but nothing to write home about and the bratkartoffolen were greasy. The service was good and the waiter deducted one of the meals from the bill, but that isn't the point, is it?

2  Thank tmg513
Reviewed March 2, 2013

For a place that only serves schnitzels you would think they actually know how to make them. These were nothing like home made, and I guess they came out of the freezer from some supermarket. Service was nice though, so thats why it doesn't get the lowest rating. It was also too cold in the dining area.

2  Thank Line123
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Great service and great food with large portions as well. Menu's are also written in English which was helpful.