“Great Location”

La Baia Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 42 Hotels in Cochem
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel when visiting Cochem. This is a 3-star hotel and not luxurious in any way, but it is located smack in the middle of the old town, the room was large and very clean, walls looked freshly painted, and the decor was pleasant. We had a balcony to our room where we could see the river. Since there was a back entrance separate from the restaurant, we had little contact with the management beyond checking in and out. Both of those experiences were pleasant.

HINT: The hotel is within walking distance of the train station. However, the cobblestone-like paving made it difficult to roll suitcases over. On my return trip to the station, I took the pathway closest to the river. Not only was that scenic, but the asphalt paving made it a breeze for dragging suitcases along.

A couple of possible drawbacks for people to whom they might matter: We were there on a weekend and every night there were noisy people passing by under the window. I don't hold this against the hotel since this would not be uncommon for any hotel in such a central location, plus the hotel would have little control over something like that. The other thing is that there are flights of stairs from the restaurant to the rooms and this might be a problem for anyone with heavy luggage or who are mobility challenged.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 331Traveler331

Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights in July. Room was large, clean and well-appointed. Beds were ok and the shower was excellent (very modern bathroom, which I liked a lot). Breakfast was excellent: every item was of very high quality. Free WIFI available in the public area's; however not in rooms. Owners and staff also very nice. Some things, however, they can still work on. The rooms are very hot, especially at night and no AC is provided (it was not even that warm outside; maybe 20 degrees C). Also, they have an unfortunate entrance system. The restaurant (and entrance of the hotel) are located on the first floor (you enter the hotel via the restaurant): you have to either take an elevator from the street level or take the back entrance stairs to the restaurant. The restaurant closes from three in the afternoon until five thirty and at this point they block the elevator and also lock the back entrance. We were given only one set of keys and we were not told about the fact that they lock up in the afternoon. So when my boyfriend returned to the room and I remained in the city to look at a dress I wanted to buy, I was standing in front of the closed door / blocked elevator. I called both cell phone numbers they taped to the back entrance 'for guests to call in case of problems', but both cell phones were turned off. Luckily, I caught my boyfriend on his cell after fifteen minutes or I would have been locked out until five thirty. They should communicated this type of thing better to guests, in my opinion.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lawyergirl007
Reviewed July 22, 2012

It is a simple hotel, very clean and well located. We had a nice dinner in the terrace with the beautiful castle of Cochem at one of our sides. The spaghettis I had were excelent.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I didn't know where I was going and I stumbled upon this hotel I had just booked. They were incredibly nice to me, super breakfast and perfect location. Cochem is so picturesque and it was a perfect location. Our room faced the river, #11 for a single and #12 for a double were lovely. I would stay here again without looking at another property! Only con is beds were a tiny extra firm for my tastes with extra soft pillows.

Room Tip: #11 for a single and #12 for a solo
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2012

This hotel has a great location right on the river (It's attached to a pizza place and you check in at the restaurant). The price seemed okay for what it was. We fit our family of four comfortably in the room, although the kids had to share a small couch. They were tired enough it didn't matter. My husband said the boat noise bothered him, but I slept right through it. The room decor was modern/spartan, and not really my thing, but the room was spotless and the bed comfortable so it did the trick for one night. The staff was helpful, and the breakfast was great. We ate dinner at the restaurant and I can recommend the pizzas and how nice sitting outside on the patio can be.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Very central, just above the pizzeria and next to the river. Friendly staff. The rooms are quiet new, silent and very clean (wooden floor, no carpet). We just stayed for one night and we were quite satisfied. If you visit Cochem by car, the hotel provides free park place, around 700m. from the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Right in the centre of the town, its just above the pizza restaurant. The attention to detail takes this hotel to another level, massive room and bathroom and spotless throughout.

There has been no expense spared to get the rooms and restaurant to a top level.

The only down side is no parking on site and can be a bit noisy, but you are in the town centre !.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple