“Avoid this hotel”

Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Bernkastel-Kues
England
“Avoid this hotel”
Reviewed September 7, 2009

We booked a 3 night package(half board costing 562EUR) with the hotel and were extremely disappointed with the cleanliness, accommodation, food and customer service we received.

Cleanliness – The salad bar was covered in flies (small ones like fruit flies). It was disgusting to see the hordes of flies laying on the cold ,meats and salads. I tried complaining to the manager part way through our stay and the manager refused to speak with us as her English was not very good. We finally spoke with Mr Buckermann on the last morning of our stay. After leaving us waiting over 30 minutes while he ‘took some phone calls’, and when he finally got off the phone, he basically didn’t want to hear about our experience – he told us that fruit flies were ‘normal’ for this time of year and the hotel do not take any measures to reduce the flies. I explained how the flies have the potential to contaminate food with bacteria and other disease producing organisms – he didn’t want to hear about it. I explained that I had been ill and had only eaten at the hotel. He told me to go to the hospital if I suspected I had been food poisoned. As I left, the receptionist gave me an Angel figurine….maybe that is how they hope that guests will remain alive.

Accommodation: I booked directly with the hotel but as it was fully booked, I was given accommodation in the Villa BelVital residence. I expected that this would be on the same grounds as the hotel. Instead it was about a 3 minute walk from the hotel in the middle of the neighbourhood. It was like staying in a residential house – not a hotel. It also meant that you could not go back to your accommodation between treatments if you wanted to remain dressed in your dressing gown.
Due to advance bookings, we agreed to move rooms during our stay. The first night we stayed in an apartment where the bedroom was very small – just enough room to get out of the bed and walk alongside. It was an attic room and the temperature was about 45 degrees in the room. There was no air-conditioning in the room so we asked for a fan, where I was told that the hotel does not deploy fans to the guests. The second room that we moved to was larger but was still extremely hot. We went to the local shop and bought a fan.

Food – Despite the onslaught of flies at the salad bar, the cooked food was tasteless, badly cooked and plain. I expected a Wellness spa to have varied menu or healthy meals – no here! Soups were full of cream or just a flavour of salt and water, veal was served raw and was retuned uneaten by most of the hotel guests, fish stew with fennel was disgusting. Service was very slow – we waited over 90 minutes to get our first course. Breakfasts were OK so long as you avoided the flies. We ate at the hotel twice - I got quite ill after my second night’s dinner at the hotel with vomiting and diarrhoea.

Facilities – We had a Chinese pressure point back massage included as part of our package. We asked for this to be extended to 45minute Sports massage instead. My husband received a 30 minute Chinese massage which when he complained was rebooked to a 30 minute Sports massage. My sports massage was OK. The gym facilities are a joke! It consists of approx 3 machines located in the basement and where the temperature was approx 40 degrees. Unbearably hot! No one could exercise in the 40 degree heat!

I would advise people to avoid this hotel. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels and this has to have been one of the worst. The attitude of the manager was unacceptable and the level of cleanliness was not acceptable for a 2 star much less a 4 star hotel. Shame on this hotel and manager for the service they provide!

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
15 Thank katyobrien

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Anzegem
Reviewed December 17, 2007

We've stayed here for a weekend and the hotel is a good place to relax after a stressy week. The breakfast was very good with a large choice of products and dinner at night did please us also very well. We had a special arrangement with a 4- and a 5-courses menu. The staff was very friendly. We also used the wellness-facilities and these are really good, there are maybe a lot of people in the wellness but that's why everybody is coming for. The nature around is fantastic, you have great walking-routes and MTB-routes. Also a visit to Bernkastel is something you need to do, nice village at the Mosel. The only disadvantage is that we had rooms 300m of the main building, which were very nice but for the wellness it's a little annoying because you have to change in the locker rooms at the wellness and not in your room. So ask for a room in the main building!

• Liked — The wellness-facility
  • Disliked — The rooms 300m from the main building
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bernkastel-Kues
Hotel Villa Hugel
#14 of 24 in Bernkastel-Kues
Romantik Jugendstilhotel Bellevue
Romantik Jugendstilhotel Bellevu...
#2 of 11 in Traben-Trarbach

Been to Vital & Wellnesshotel zum Kurfuersten? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Vital & Wellnesshotel zum Kurfuersten

Property: Vital & Wellnesshotel zum Kurfuersten
Address: Amselweg 1, 54470 Bernkastel-Kues, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany (Formerly Flair Hotel)
Location: Germany > Rhineland-Palatinate > Bernkastel-Kues
Bar / Lounge Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#1 Luxury Hotel in Bernkastel-Kues
#2 Romantic Hotel in Bernkastel-Kues
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): $$$
Hotel Class:4.5 star — Vital & Wellnesshotel zum Kurfuersten 4.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotel.de, HRS, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Agoda so you can book your Vital & Wellnesshotel zum Kurfuersten reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Vital Wellnesshotel Zum Kurfuersten