“Nice hotel/restaurant for a long weekend” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rhine Hotel Zur Loreley

Rhine Hotel Zur Loreley
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Sankt Goar
Israel
“Nice hotel/restaurant for a long weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

I went together with my parents for a trip in Germany for the weekend.
We stayed in this hotel for two nights. We were two couples each in separate rooms.

The room was very clean, organized and had everything required.
The staff of the hotel was also friendly.

My parents room was on the first floor, just above the restaurant, but they did not hear any noise (and they had some sort of folklore singing night in the restaurant, which might be a regular event there, but I don't know).

If I would go again to the area I would stay in this place.

Please note that there isn't much to do for young people in this area (well except for a few bars/restaurants). but for a family trip I would go there again.

The castle near by is must!
If you really want to have have fun and find hidden pass ways then bring a flashlight and clothes you don't mind getting dirty.
But even without it, it's a real treat.

Room Tip: The room on the first floor had a separate room for watching TV, it was a bigger room than the one o...
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank y_London

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Hamilton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2011

Overall I will rate this place highly, as the price was good, however there were a couple of small issues. We stayed in the "smaller" apartment 21, which has a large main room with small kitchen off to one side, and another small bedroom with a single bed through which is a decent sized bathroom (no bath, just a shower).

The apartment itself is through a fairly dingy looking entranceway, but once inside it is in good shape, clean and obviously spacious. For the price being asked (< €70 for 2 people per night) it really is a very good size. The decor inside is a bit 1960s, but overall absolutely no complaints about the accommodation. The location is excellent being right in the center of the nice part of town. The apartment stayed cool on the warmer days (which is a bonus), and the shower had good water pressure. Overall the apartment was very good and would have no issues returning here in future.

A couple of minor issues, the first being the internet access as advertised on their website is not available in this apartment. They will happily give you the password for the wireless lan, but the range doesn't extend to this apartment, nor did it work in the breakfast room of the hotel, so I'm not sure where you can actually use the internet.

The second, which isn't a problem, but worth noting, is that the parking garage (if booked) is 1/3 mile away from the accommodation. We booked it thinking it would keep our car close (having an infant with us), but in fact it was the opposite. There is a lot of public parking available very nearby, but you are of course at competition with everyone else.

The final issue, and for me the largest problem with this hotel, was that while we were having breakfast the two staff were smoking in the room behind the bar. They had the door open but all this did was blow the smoke directly into the breakfast room, making it stink. This spoiled my breakfast and was a big negative for me, however I've tried to not let this influence the rest of this review as overall the accommodation was good. In the UK this smoking would be illegal, and I didn't mention it to the staff as I wasn't sure of the culture/legality in Germany (I am the visitor after all), but I wouldn't expect to be breathing in the staff's smoke anywhere in the world.

Room Tip: The german language website has much more detail
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank DaOrange
Otterberg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2011

We stayed for lunch with 2 Indian guests at the restaurant. The service was excellent and we got a warm welcome. We had excellent typical German food and on top of that with very fair prices. We can totally recommend this restaurant for visit.

Thanks to the Loreley Team and best regards
Alan, Murali, Steffen and Sven

• Stayed April 2011
Erie, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a long weekend in March and had a wonderful experience. Sankt Goar is marvelously quiet in the winter which makes it easy to imagine the solitude that the castles on the Rhein enjoyed between the bloody battles (the modern equivalent is known as tourist season). We thoroughly enjoyed the town and the lack of traffic this time of year.

We stayed in huge suite on the top floor of the hotel with an open balcony in the shadow of Burg Rheinfels. Watching the sun set behind the castle while sipping a glass of Riesling was simply sublime.

The reservations process was pleasant and handled by e-mail with Mr. Burch, whom I believe is the owner. He was very nice to deal with and gave us good advice on the rooms. The real surprise happened when we arrived - the room was HUGE for...I think it was 70 Euros/night. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, plus kitchen and living room. Much more than we needed but it was nice to have the space to sprawl out and relax. This was the best value in a hotel I've had in many years.

Breakfast was typical German (great for protein lovers like me) with meats and sausage, fresh vegetables, magnificent fresh rolls and homemade jams. The restaurant is intimate, well decorated and inviting. Every nook and cranny both in the restaurant and in our rooms was spotlessly clean.

The bed was very comfortable - not too firm, not too soft, and the room was church quiet so we slept very well every night. Running around to all those castles and drinking wine wore us out so we were pleased to have such a restful place to stay. High speed internet was available but we never used it.

One final note that speaks to the character of the people who own the hotel. Despite looking the room over carefully before we left, I managed to leave my iPad under the pillow on the bed. We made it all the way back to Frankfurt when I had a panic attack after looking in my bag. I called the hotel and spoke with Mr. Burch who had already found it and had literally just sat down to write me a note. He had it shipped overnight to our hotel in Frankfurt at no charge. Try THAT with a hotel chain!

All in all, I can't imagine how the weekend and our stay at Rhine Hotel Zur Lorely could have been any better. I can easily see making a weekend here an annual event. Thanks Mr. Burch and the wonderful people of the Rhine Valley for a fantastic experience we will not soon forget.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David J
Dover, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

If you are looking for a friendly welcome, comfortable accomodation and great food then look no further than the Hotel zur Loreley.

This was our 8th visit in the past 10 years. Sebastian Burch and his staff always make us feel very welcome and have done since our first visit in 2001. The hotel offers both traditional hotel rooms and a variety of holiday appartments and we have sampled both over the years.

On this visit we stayed in the largest of the appartments with 2 double rooms and a single, two bathrooms, a large kitchen diner, lounge and roof terrace. It is at the top of the building up 3 flights of stairs so you need to be fit. It does help work off the calories consumed in the fantastic food though and you are rewarded with views of two castles!

The appartments can be booked to include breakfast and we also ate in the hotel every evening. The exception was Tuesdays which was "Ruhetag" or rest day when the restaurant was closed and only breakfast was available. This is a tradition in many small German hotels and we took advantage of it to visit one of our other favourite St Goar haunts the "alla Fontana" Italian restaurant which is up a side street a couple of minutes walk from the hotel.

St Goar is a great location for a holiday with excellent train connections on both sides of the Rhine (ferry across from St Goar to St Goarshausen). So you can spend the day walking around St Goar or hop on a train to visit Koblenz, Mainz, Ruedesheim, Wiesbaden or any number of the small towns and villages which line this beautiful and historic stretch of river.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2010

Had a very pleasant stay there for just one night while cycling the Rhine. Staff were very helpful and even phoned around for us in the evening trying to find some ibuprofen.

• Stayed August 2010
Harker Heights, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2009

We stayed in one of the apartments, #19 "on the sunny side." I am not sure what it meant to be on the sunny side but it did face the street that the hotel and restaurant and other restaurants and stores were on. The apartment was very clean and large and nicely furnished. The beds were comfortable and that is important to us. However, we found the noise from the restaurant and wine bar below our windows to be disturbing. Even with the windows closed at bedtime, it was still noisy. There were not the usual German shutter/shades to let down outside the window to keep the light and noise out. There were some sort of venetian blind type things to lower outside but they were difficult to manage and did not provide quiet or much light control. I always travel with earplugs and needed them for sure. Other than that, the breakfast (included) was good and staff was quite nice. St. Goar is a lovely little town and the KD boat line dock is a short walk from the hotel. It's a fun town to walk around in. You can walk beside the river for miles and miles if you wish. Take the little tourist train up to Rheinfels Castle or walk. It is steep but not a bad walk.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Hotel Loreleyblick
Hotel Loreleyblick
#9 of 14 in Sankt Goar
Hotel Restaurant Altkolnischer Hof

Been to Rhine Hotel Zur Loreley? Share your experiences!