All reviewsmain buildinggreat viewrhine rivercastle stayromantic hotelcomplete mealnext morninghotel guestsvillas sectiona great place to meetchange roomsgourmet restauranthotel shuttleancient castlevery nice hotelspoke englishnice bathroom
Reviewed July 1, 2011

I chose this restaurant to treat someone. I had chosen it because of its views and its ratings.
I booked a table on the Wednesday morning but still could not get a table with a view. This at least was a sign the restaurant is popular. In fact it was fully booked. The clientele was a mix of romantic couples, large business groups having attended some course, young and old. The decor is traditional and the waitresses wear traditional dresses. The menu consists of 5-6 course menu and a la carte.
We chose a la carte as we were going to the steak. Beef carpaccio for starters was served with wallnut oil and a cream sauce. The quality of the beef was excellent but it lacked seasoning. Could have done with more salt.
The main course was steak served with a truffle crust and vegetables. This also was not seasoned enough. The cooking was as ordered. During the main course I ordered a non alcoholic beer which never appeared.
After dinner we decided to share a chocolate type of cake with strawberries. My companion, who is not German, got the word wrong for "sharing" and the waitress corrected him and said "sharing" and we laughed. However, she then proceeded to serve two portions (which we at first thought was shared out). When we got the bill I realised that she had completely forgotten despite our little joke. I didnt really like the green tea. It was served in a sealed package but it still tasted stale.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Evoqueen
Reviewed May 30, 2011

We stayed here for one night with our daughter who is almost two years old. The view and the castle atmosphere can't be beat. However, they could improve upon a few things. They were all booked up because of the garden show in Koblenz so we ended up getting a 'Mansarden' room which was on the top floor of the villa. This was a pity since the windows looking out at the Rhein River were up high off of the floor so to get a look at the view, I had to stand on the tips of my toes. The view is the main reason why one chooses this hotel, so a room without a easily accessible view was kind of a bummer. Though the furniture was all new, the room itself and the bathroom could use some updating but was very clean. There was a mini bar and an old-style small tv. The pillows were too flat and there weren't any spares in the wardrobe. The room lacked a certain comfortable ambiance. Everything seemed just kind of functionally placed without much thought to design or comfort. There was a tacky bowl of pot pourri on the table. Though the place was fully booked, it was quiet. There is a road and a train track along the river down below and the noise carries upward to the hotel but the sound wasn't disturbing.

The service in the bar was slow. I ordered the same drink twice and the second one came looking different from the first. So, I'm not sure if a professional bartendender was making them.

We ate at the Scharffeneck restaurant and the food was mediocre but the service was very attentive. This is where breakfast was served and the view (if you can get a table at the window) is fantastic. Breakfast was good and had everything one needs but it would have been a nice touch to have some sparkling wine/champagne available.

Upon arrival, we wanted to sit out on the terrace to have a bite to eat for lunch but it was completely full. We asked if we could reserve a table for later and the waitress was very gruff and told us that they have way too many reservations and that she can't take anymore. So, we never got a chance to sit out there and enjoy the great view.

It was nice that the receptionist at check in gave our daughter a little rubber duck with 'Schloss Rheinfels' printed on it. But when we got to the room, there was the same duck on the edge of the bathtub. They could give something different at the reception (like say crayons and a castle colouring book) and leave the duck as a surprise for the bathroom.

We didn't use any of the spa facilities but used the pool which, at 27°C, was way too cold especially for a child.

The town of St. Goar is nothing special so we decided to head over to Boppard for the afternoon.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Gercan
Reviewed December 31, 2010

we stayed at the hotel during my wife's 60 birthday trip to germany and france. this is an elegant hotel in one of the most impressive locations over the rhine. we stayed in a junior suite and had dinner in the elegant restaurant overlooking the rhine. the price is very reasonable for what you get. i recommend both the nice big room with the rhine view and the special dinner.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We stayed in the Villas at the Hotel Schloss Rheinfels for two nights this past July and were seriously disappointed. Yes, the hotel has an incredible view from the restaurant and you are staying in a castle (if you are not in the villas), however, everything else was disappointing. First, we were not provided any information on check-in and were basically left to fend for ourselves - there is no one to help you with your bags, answer your questions, etc. We were just given a room and told to park wherever. Once we got to the room it was filled with bugs (there is no ac so all the windows are open) and the room was shabby. The villa rooms are no better than a budget accomodations. Chipped painting, outdated and dirty furniture, tiny beds. Then I proceeded to take a shower and it created a flood in the room (the shower door was broken). We asked to be moved since we were traveling with a baby and they refused to change our room. They claimed that they were completely booked. We insisted and the night clerk came by and could not understand why we would want to change rooms - he just kept saying no and I kept insisting. Finally I asked him to go back and check and he came back with two possible rooms. We moved rooms and he informed us that he did not know if we could have the room both nights and we would have to check with the regular staff in the morning. Personally I found the whole situation ridicolous. The next night the temperature hit 100 degrees and we asked for a fan (the villas have no ac and are extremely hot). Again, the same clerk kept saying that they had no fans and could not help us. We were traveling with a baby and extremely worried about overheating so my husband went searching through the villa to find a fan. He located one in a computer room and called the clerk again to get it. Finally he came around and said we could use that fan as long as we returned it the next day. The whole situation was unbelievable for a claimed "luxury" hotel. I would never stay again and would not recommend it at all.

But, with that said, I did not stay in the castle and the castle did have a nice spa/pool. The restaurant has incredible views, but save yourself the money and stay somewhere else and eat at the restaurant.

Btw, we traveled around for two weeks and this was the only place we faced such horrific service. Truly the service is deplorable.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank cobi
Reviewed May 31, 2010

We traveled for nearly two weeks across Germany, and this hotel was to be our "final splurge." We paid almost twice as much as any other location where we stayed during the rest of our trip. And, yet...our experience was not at all pleasant. The hotel lost our reservation and then initially argued about accomodating us (even though we had documentation). Consistently, the staff was rude, unhelpful and not terribly knowledgeable. Breakfast was good, but the evening meals were mediocre at best (worst food and service we had in all of Germany). The views are indeed lovely - but for the price, it should have been so much more. Visit the Castle Rheinfels ruins and have a beer at the hotel, then drive to the next town (Oberwesel) and stay in their castle hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple