“What a gem!”
Review of Haus Weller

Haus Weller
Ranked #2 of 16 Boppard B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed here for one night in Aus=gust 2013 at the start of our trip through Germany to Austria. It was very easy to find, and has a good location very near the river just a short walk out of the town. There is a small parking area next to the guesthouse, but it would be easy to find parking very nearby if that area is full. The area is very quiet, so you'll get a good night's sleep.

Others have commented on how friendly and helpful Peter and Monika are. Peter speaks reasonable English which is just as well as my German was still very rusty at this point of the holiday! He showed us to our room, which was on the 2nd floor looking out at the front of the building. It was lovely - large, with a double bed plus a single bed, double wardrobe, dressing table, basin. Best of all, it has a tiny raised area in a turret (you can see it in the photo), with a small table and 2 chairs, where you could sit at the open window and sip wine. It was like something from a fairy story. I think it was room 12, but don't quote me on that. The bathroom (with toilet and shower) is down the corridor, and was very clean. I'm not sure if it was shared with anyone else. We had one of the cheaper rooms, and I think the more expensive ones have en-suite bathrooms, but I'm not sure. I think we paid about 55 euros, and I thought this was a bargain.

The best thing about Pension Haus Weller is the breakfast. As well as a warm boiled egg (perfectly cooked), there was a LARGE plate of ham, salami etc, with cheese and fruit, beautifully presented, also fruit juice, different kinds of bread, jam, yoghurt ... we certainly didn't need any lunch after all that! It was beautifully presented, and was a real pleasure to eat.

I will definitely stay here again if we ever return to Boppard - in fact, I would like to return just in order to stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for the one on the 2nd floor with the turret.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Haus Weller is situated on the edge of the historic town of Boppard. The house is on a side road close to the river Rhine. The footpath which runs along the river edge is within a two minute walk. The main promenade, town centre, shops and railway station are within an easy ten minute stroll. There is a small car park at the side of the house and Peter and Monika are both very friendly. Peter speaks good English and is extremely helpful in advising on the local area. I believe he told us they had have lived at Haus Weller since 1950. It is a long established family business. On Peter's advice we visited the town of Rudesheim and took the chair lift to the top of the hill, an experience we would definitely recommend to others. The chairlift was great fun and the views of the Rhine Valley were spectacular. Rudseheim is also a very pretty place which we spent a couple of hours exploring before beginning our river cruise back to Boppard.
Our room had three beds. There were three adults in our party as we were travelling with my daughter who was on her year abroad as part of her university course. The beds were clean although the furniture was old and the entire place felt a little worn. There was nothing to drink in the room, no soap in the ensuite and no TV. It does have good FREE wifi so were all able to access the internet. My wife found dust and cobwebs in places in our room and although my daughter and I were prepared to accept this my wife, who is more particular, was not at all comfortable.
The breakfast consisted of cheeses, meats, fruit and salad all beautifully set out on a platter. Some of the cheeses were on sticks and some were in rolls tied up with chives. It obviously took some time to prepare. There was also a boiled egg each and a selection of breads, jam and yoghurt. Plus tea, coffee and a little foil wrapped chocolate each. Monika managed to find some cereals when requested by my daughter who doesn't like cheese, bread and sausage. On the second morning of our stay we came into the dining room and found a great big blue bottle walking on the food platter which was uncovered on the dining table. We therefore didn't eat any of the meat! If only the food had been covered over until we had come down. Monika was very kind and told us to we were welcome to take food with us to eat during the day if we wished.
Although Haus Weller was okay it could do with refurbishing to bring it more into line with the expectations of modern travellers. Peter and Monika are good hosts and if you just want a basic room and you accept that this is a big old house and I bit old fashioned then it's fine. Unfortunately we were a little disappointed.

Room Tip: Take your own pillow. The Germans seem to like very, very soft pillows.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

I visited almost a year ago and I still miss Haus Weller. The house itself has a lot of character and Monika and Peter were fantastic hosts. The breakfasts were fantastic, Monika makes you feel very special with all her cute little plates and perfectly cooked eggs. I'm a tea drinker and she had my tea ready for me every morning. We were also pleasantly surprised to find glasses and a bottle of Sekt in our room one evening - those little touches are what make Haus Weller so charming. The room and bathroom are of good size with lots of hot water and good pressure in the shower. The beds were quite comfy as well. A fantastic location, just a short walk from the center of town and just off the Rhein. As other reviewers have said, if you're looking for fancy, this isn't it, but if you're looking for quaint comfort, look no further.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed at Haus Weller for three nights in August 2012. I recommend it - Peter and Monica are lovely people, very hospitable. I enjoyed my stay there, they make you feel at home and Monica does all-you-can-eat breakfasts which set you up for the day. Peter speaks good English, Monica not so good, so make sure you ask Peter for directions if you are going somewhere! Don't come to Haus Weller if you want the latest furnishings and silver service, because you won't get it. What you will get is a welcome as if you are a favourite relative coming to stay. When I stayed the weather was very warm and I did not need the doona on the bed but a top sheet or light cotton blanket would have been welcome.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We loved our stay in this beautiful B&B! From the moment we walked in Peter & Monika welcomed us into their home and offered us refreshments from our journey. They were the kindest hosts we had during our trip and did everything they could to make our stay more pleasant. Before we left, Monika even took our photo in front of Haus Weller and promised to email, which they did.

At Haus Weller we found a spacious room with a comfortable bed and wifi. Our bathroom was spotless, we had a private bath in our room although I saw the shared bathroom and it was in the same spotless condition as ours. Our breakfast was great, complimented with lots of chocolates since we were there during Easter.

For dining out we highly recommend the Severus Stube, which Peter told us about. Delicious,
quintessentially german and affordable prices with plenty of locals all around - it was one of the best nights on our trip!

Dankeschön, Thank you Peter & Monika for looking after us so well!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank abzygail
Reviewed March 18, 2012

This was our favorite place that we stayed in on our trip. We stayed in a chain hotel, a castle, an Inn etc, but the Haus Weller was the best!! I loved the welcome homey feel, the vintage furnishings were wonderful! I felt like we had stepped back in time. The house is old and needs some repairs, but that just added to the quaintness. The breakfast was wonderful home cooked and you could tell they really went out of their way to make it special with a variety of eggs, meats cheeses and breads, salmon coffee, hot chocolate all served at our table (we even got a dish of caviar!) overall we felt very welcome and cared for, like staying with an aunt and uncle. LOVE THIS PLACE!!

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank Khattwmn
Reviewed November 30, 2011

We had a wonderful stay at this small bed and breakfast in Boppard
The room we had was quite spacious, with a small couch and table in addition to the typical bed and dresser assortments.
The breakfasts were delicious, with a wide variety of breads and cheeses and fruits.
Our hosts were very friendly and helpful, and made us feel welcome and at home. Overall the atmosphere felt very "comfy".
The only minor complaint we had was that the shower was very small, but not unusually so. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple