“Excellent, comfortable hotel, but the WiFi is a mess!”

Bellevue Rheinhotel
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Boppard
Donaghadee, United Kingdom
“Excellent, comfortable hotel, but the WiFi is a mess!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

I loved this hotel - excellent spacious rooms, comfortable, great shower, fantastic breakfast spread, and located right on the Rhine. The evening meal was excellent too. You walk out of the front door, and you face the pier for the wonderful Rhine trips (9 castles in 5 hours). The staff were friendly, and helpful - like many Best Western hotels, it had a family-run feel, despite being part of a chain. But - ohhhhh - the communications! The only WiFi was in the very public lobby. There was wired broadband in the bedroom, but you had to pay for it. And - wait for it - there were three options: (a) one hour, (b) ten hours, and (c) 30 days!!! UNBELIEVABLE!! It was my only criticism of another wise wonderful hotel - but one that will lose them future custom if it is not addressed as a matter of urgency. So, please with the Manager take note of this!!

Room Tip: All the views are good, either of the river or of the town
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Tampa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

The location of the BW Boppard is awesome -- right on the river, with the KD boat dock just outside the front door of the hotel. If you're looking to cruise up and down the river looking for castles, then the BW Boppard is a great place to stay. We upgraded to a river-view room, which was definitely worth it. The breakfast was definitely a highlight - a huge spread each morning of continental and German favorites. Probably the only issue we had was that our "non-smoking" room had an ashtray in it, and people had definitely smoked in the room previously. Otherwise, the staff were friendly and helpful and we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Midland, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

There is no doubt that the Bellevue Rheinhotel is probably the best in Boppard. It has an excellent location, excellent breakfast buffet, large rooms, old-fashioned elegance, a delightful sauna and pool, etc. Perhaps the only points to criticize would be its ancient computer available for internet use by the guests (Windows XP), and its very limnited TV channel selections.

My wife and I stayed 4 nights in September 2012 and enjoyed everything very much in the hotel and in Boppard as a whole. However, there were two small events that were somewhat bothersome. As we arrived on a Thursday morning, we were offered the opportunity to have a 4 course meal during the weekend, and initially we signed up for that, but soon we changed our minds. After a couple of hours after reserving seats for that meal, we went to the front desk and asked for a cancellation. Up to now everything was normal.

We enjoyed our stay and on the night previous to our departure on Sunday, we asked for an early wakeup call, and to our surprise we found out that our stay and reservation was not in the computers anymore. In other words, we were not registered any longer. OIbviously, something went wrong, I showed them my registration card (I kept it a a souvenir), and after three people looked into the computers it was concluded that somehoiw, we had been "cancelled" or erased from the system. Late that Sunday night, around 9:30 PM, I received a phone call from the front desk asking me to confirm that I wanted a wakeup call, and inquiring about my departure time the following morning. I informed them that it would be around 9:30 AM. Then the man at the front desk asked whether I was planing to have breakfast, I replied that yes, we were planing to do so at around 7 AM. Then it came the really "unusual request " from the front desk, I was asked whether it would be possible for me to vacate the room at 7AM !!!!!!, and come down for breakfast with my suitcases, this was obviously not acceptable, and I replied, No, I would not like to do that. The man explained that they were in a difficult situation, since my registration had been "erased", my room appeared vacant in the computers and someone had "promised" the room at 7AM to a guest coming from America. Once again, I replied that I would not do as requested and that I will continue with my plans to leave the room by 9:30AM.

The final "funny" event happened at breakfast time (7 AM) on Monday. From the very begining of our stay it was obvious that the hotel was fully booked, and on previous morning we had to search around for a table to sit for breakfast since many of them were reserved. But on our final morning, all of them were reserved !!!!!!. We went to the front desk and voiced our situation, after a "heated" exchange of words (in German), between the fron desk and service people, one table was made available to us.

After breakfast, we covered our bill and we continued on our trip. The front desk was very apologetic for the experiences and we left with a good impression of the hotel and its services. Obviously, what happened to us was probably a "fluke" unlikely to repeat.

JB Esquivel H

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

This hotel is in a choice location, situated on a delightful tree lined road next to the Rhine and also just a few minutes walk away from the centre of Boppard.
We booked direct with the Best Western Website a double room with a balcony plus Rhine view and stayed for two nights. (Balconies are smoking permitted). First impressions inside of the hotel are that it is a little dated and would benefit from some refurbishment. Our room although spotlessly clean also gave this impression with a red and beige scheme that would have been fashionable in the 1990s .We were also disappointed by the lack of a bath and only a shower. The essential in room tea and coffee making facilities should have already been available in the room and not provided on request by hotel staff. Hotel information leaflets on our dressing table were very tatty giving a low rent feel, a housekeeping detail that had been missed. Having driven from the UK, I had previously requested on my booking confirmation a parking space in the hotel garage, but this somehow was overlooked. However there is street parking outside the hotel for a reasonable 6 euros/day and we were fortunate enough to find a space a few yards from the hotel main entrance. Less able guests should note that in order to enter the front hotel from the front entrance with suitcases there is a total of five steps and no ramp. All hotel staff were very courteous and friendly.

On the plus side, the view from our third floor room balcony however was superb with the Rhine just a stones throw away in front. This was I guess why we chose this hotel. Our room was also quite spacious. It should be noted that while there is some noise from freight trains using the line on the opposite bank of the Rhine at all hours, the double glazed windows do work effectively at reducing the noise and did not affect our sleep, also our bed was comfortable.

Breakfasts are well worth the extra 11.5 euro/person as a wide selection of good fresh food is offered. Celiacs will enjoy the very best gluton free bread, (available on request) but allow twenty minutes as this is baked to order. The coffee is also particularly good using a very rich smooth tasting blend.

All hotel staff were very courteous and friendly.

Overall a good value hotel offering excellent breakfast and I would definitely recommend anyone to stay here.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms on the front are well worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ccr260243
South West
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

This is an extremely comfortable hotel with excellent facilities and a marvellous view from most public rooms and many bedrooms.
Mine was only an overnight stop, but the staff were friendly and efficient and were very helpful in allowing me to leave my luggage while I did some sightseeing. I arrived by train and it is an easy downhill walk to the hotel, taking about 5 minutes. Consequently I was pleased to be able to leave my suitcase at the hotel as I had arrived too early to book in.
There is plenty to see with tripper boats mooring directly outside, commercial barges travelling up and down the river and trains to watch on the opposite bank, not to mention the comings and goings of the autofahre. As there are very few bridges over the Rhine, these are car ferries which become floating bridges, carrying cars, lorries, coaches, bicycles and pedestrians across the river.
Excellent food, excellent breakfast I would recommend this hotel and certainly visit again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay here. Room 402 has a river view although no balcony like other rooms. Bathroom even had a river view and was modern and super clean. The hotel facilities are comfortable and generally nice. Lots of antiques through out the public spaces. Carpet throughout is in need of cleaning or replacing--- which is the one comment I'd offer for improvement. The dining room is beautiful with a view of the river and quiet street. Staff was responsive and courteous. It didn't "wow" me but I'd stay here again and would recommend.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Warwick
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

Stayed in a single room on the 4th floor overlooking The Rhine. The room has a good bathroom with all the usual potions and gels and the shower (no bath) was very good. The tv has CNN, BBC world news but no English speaking entertainment. You can have a tea/coffee making tray for a 10 euro deposit from reception. The frequent long freight trains which run on the other side of the river could be a distraction if you are a light sleeper. The staff are all very helpful, friendly and English speaking and the reception staff are very efficient and welcoming.The breakfast has a large variety --in the of continental style and the evening meals, whilst fairly basic/traditional were very tasty.The hotel is situated on a very quiet 'one way' road and with the constant travel of the pleasure boats and cargo barges up and down there is always something to see.The small town is just 2 minutes walk from the hotel. Don't visit the castle as it is closed for renovation for the next 2 years. I went with an organised coach tour and the towns and sights available close by are all worth a visit as the scenery is stunning.

Room Tip: I was in room 406 which is a bit of a trek up the stairs but there is a lift to all floors. Overlook...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boppard
Landgasthof Eiserner Ritter
Castle Hotel Auf Schoenburg
Park Hotel Bad Salzig
Park Hotel Bad Salzig
#4 of 19 in Boppard

Been to Bellevue Rheinhotel? Share your experiences!