“Interesting Restaurant”

Cuisines: German
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 15, 2018

We were staying very nearby for one night whilst travelling. I had read reviews of this restaurant so expected it to be quite busy.
Not so on this Sunday evening! It was a warm evening, so we could have sat outside, but we chose inside so we could look about. My husband does not speak German, so the English-speaking waitress outside was a bit concerned, as she felt those working inside might not be able to help him. No worries; I do speak German.
They did give him an English language menu, which he was able to compare with the German one, to help with his learning.
He had no difficulties; our waitress was very kind, and spoke simply to him, so for the most part, no English was needed.
I guess we were lucky that it was so quiet, because it left us with the impression of space in the restaurant. It was certainly very clean and neat. There is lots of choice on the menu, even for vegetarians. I had the Gemüseschnitzel, whilst my husband had the salmon steak. Both were very simply presented, very tasty, with a generous salad too. Just what we wanted after a long ferry boat ride/Autobahn drive.
We didn't have a dessert, as my husband decided to try one of the wine flights/sample selection. This is a marvellous idea, which I have only seen applied to beers in some places in the UK. Six samples of different wines, amounting to just over one large glass in total. With tasting notes and grissini. Perfect!
We had a lovely relaxing evening here, with kind service and tasty food. We will definitely return when we are in the area again. Compliments to the friendly and efficient staff.

Reviewed March 9, 2018 via mobile

We really liked it. The food was tasty and even the small portion was big enough. If they don’t give it to you, you can ask for the English menu, because the German one is not bilingual. We didn’t try the wine, because we are not wine drinkers, but the beer was good. Try to sit in the barrels, it’s fun.

Reviewed January 14, 2018

We never would have known about this place had a friend not been a local and shared. We took a train in from Kaiserslautern in the late afternoon. After finding our first pint of wine (mixed with some sparkling water) we found some food. The festival was packed. We had a great time wandering around, trying different wines, sampling the food, and then landing ourselves in the music tent for a while. The kids we were with enjoyed the rides, and the grownups enjoyed the wine. Later we took the train back to Kaiserslautern. Great overall experience. Yes, very crowded.

Reviewed December 21, 2017 via mobile

My friends told me about this festival so I had to check it out. More of a fair type festival but still I had a good time. They had food stalls, carnival rides and of course some beer houses.The daytime is for families and children where as the nighttime is for the grown-ups who like to imbibe in some good wine.

Reviewed November 15, 2017 via mobile

We travelled from Australia to Germany and decided to visit this famous large wine barrel. We checked everything before setting out, only to find a small typewritten piece of paper stating that Wednesday's is their day of rest. Rechecked the website which stated open today from 11 am. Very very poor customer service.