“I Love Cog Railways!”

$48.60*
and up
Rhine River Cruise to Königswinter with Sea Life Visit or Drachenfels Cliff
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We used the tram and train from Bonn to visit Drachenfels. The cog train to the top is a delight and for the princely sum of one Euro we got to "meet the dragon" at the top. Even though the day was foggy and overcast the views were still awe inspiring. We enjoyed lunch in the semi-restored restuarant and found the staff very helpful.

There are newer reviews for Drachenfels

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Why did we like? The views from the top are stunning; the River Rhine is sprawling below in all its splendour. We also enjoyed riding up the mountain with the quaint little railway. One can hike up (mini hike - 5 min max) to the very top for even more spectacular views. A neat little outing. Warmly recommended!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

The castle was very interesting, but we had a serious problem with managing stairs. In fact my husband gave up and waited for us but on the way down, I saw a lift, which was not offered to us for him to use.

1  Thank hartr147
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have over the years climbed the hill to the Drachenfels on many occasions, but this is the first time for six years, The view from the top always leaves me in awe. However, on my last visit on the17th July 13, I had the misfortune to encounter the worst of German hospitality at the rebuilt terrace restaurant, due to third rate service and poor quality of food.
The modernisation of the terrace is slightly out of place, but I suppose they call this progress. I still recommend visiting the Drachenfals, but suggest you take your own food and refreshments.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stopped here on the way to Bonn. Finding the parking lot to start the hike up was slightly complicated. It is also possible to take a train up (if you wanted to avoid the climb). The walk up took about 30 minutes and was a good workout, mostly shaded through woods. You pass the castle on the way. There is no entrance fee for the Drachenfels (however there is for the castle). A new restaurant is in the process of being finished just below the peak. Very nice views from the top of the Drachenfels and recommendable stop when touring along the Rhine.

1  Thank usuallyhappytravels