“Cable Car ride”
Review of Mount Tegelberg

Mount Tegelberg
Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Schwangau
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Beautiful view, nice ride. We enjoyed seeing the area from the top! We biked there from our hotel. There is also an alpine slide which is inexpensive and fun.

1  Thank lismore77

Reviewed May 3, 2014

Were visiting a local firm and were recommended to take the trip on the Tegelbahn, rather than go to the castles. We were glad we took the advice. The view from the top is breathtaking. There is a restaurant with one of those floors that overhangs 'the drop', which makes for an interesting experience. There is walking. There is paragliding - literally throwing yourself off the mountain. (I assumed this was for experts, rather than just turn up and have a go!) There are views of the Schwangau valley, as well as the Alps and from the cable car itself, you get a really good view of Neuschwanstein. We would pass on the advice - go on the Tegelbahn and see the castles from there.

2  Thank SharpeWords
Reviewed March 31, 2014

A direct cable car ride away to the top, and along the ride you get a view of the famous castles. There was a braveheart who did the paragliding as a hobby. In summer or spring months, you probably can make reservations to attempt too.

The view up there is breath-taking! On one side, you will see the Schwagau town, and on the other, ranges of mountains. There's also a restaurant up there with paranoma views. You can just sit there and laze the day away. A must go if you visit the area!

We thoroughly enjoyed Mount Tegelberg!

1  Thank DawnKoh
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I did not make it up to the top of Mt. Tegelberg, but I did take a short walk on the Tegelbergbahn near the Neuschwanstein. Year ago I had started up this trail on an overcast day, however, before reaching the top I came out of the fog to be on top of the clouds. It was a beautiful sunny day up top. I trekked all the way to the peak, had lunch at Tegelberghaus, and road the tram back down to the bottom.

It was a memorable day that I will remember for the rest of my life…

Reviewed November 14, 2013

I combined my hike up to Mt. Tegelberg with a trip to the Neuschwanstein Castle (I did not go inside the castle though). From Munich, I bought a Bayern ticket (22 euros, 4 euros extra for every extra person up to total 5 people: this was in July 2012). Took a regional train from Munich Hauptbahnhof to Fussen, then a bus (73 or 78) to Hohenschwangau. There’s no way you can miss these buses or need to look for them because everyone goes their way!!

I hiked up to Neuschwanstein on the Pollat Gorge trail. That was a very good decision as the trail is beautiful and avoids the crowds. For the trailhead, basically go in the direction opposite to everyone else :D Then turn right on a small side street called Pollatweg. Once at Neuschwanstein, I took a few pics outside the castle and then walked back towards the Pollat Gorge trail end towards Marienbrucke. The Tegelberg hike starts on the other side of the bridge. So go to the bridge, take pics and appreciate the view, and then continue on to Tegelberg. On the way to Marienbrucke, there was another vista point from where Hohenschwangau and two nearby lakes were visible. Quite a beautiful view.

For the Tegelberg hike, make sure you keep following the trail. It is clearly marked with red/blue paint as well. There are a couple of points along the trail where there seems to be a fork. So be careful at these points. I saw so many paragliders from the trail, made the hike even more memorable! It’s almost a completely uphill walk, though not very steep at any point. It took me about 3.5 hrs from Marienbrucke, although the sign there says 3 hours. Don’t miss the wildflowers on the way! I then took the Tegelbahn down (11.5 euros per person). There is a restaurant at the top but it was closed when I reached even though it wasn’t 5 pm. The ride in the Tegelbahn also offered great views and angles which I didn’t have from the trail. From the Tegelbahn station down below, take bus 78 back to Fussen.

16  Thank MeghaGK