Park-Hotel Egerner Hoefe
$497
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Bachmair Hotel am See(Rottach-Egern)
$183
Priceline
  • Room Service
Hotel Carrera(Rottach-Egern)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsunderground passagewaymain buildingspent one nightbusiness tripbreakfast buffet isevery morningtwo nightschalet
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights/4 days as an add-on to a trip to Munich in early July. We wanted to include an extra dimension to a 4 night city break. This was an excellent choice, both in terms of a charming village and highly recommended 5* hotel.

Rottach-Egern is a pretty, large, immaculate village, sited at the southern end of Tegernsee lake. There are lots of smart clothes and interiors shops. We reached the village by BOB train from central Munich. The trains ran every hour and the journey took about 1 hour, no changing required. The cost was inexpensive at somewhere around 30 Euros, one way, for 2 people. All the details you need to do this journey can be found on bahn.com, the German train web site, which is very easy to use. When I asked the hotel for help to organise a taxi from the station they offered the hotel car and driver, who collected us with perfect efficiency, and no additional charge was added to our bill. They also took us back to the station 4 days later. We arrived at the hotel late morning, earlier than expected as we had assumed we'd get lost on the train, but we didn't and again, on the house, upon arrival Reception provided us with a lovely pot of coffee. It is touches like this which make you feel warm and fuzzy about a hotel. At no point in our stay did this initial wonderful first impression become tarnished.

The hotel building outside is Alpine in style and inside it is a modern version of Alpine. It is colourful and smart and not in the least bit twee. I'm personally not a great fan of traditional Alpine decor, but this hotel looks good. Everything about the fabric of the building is stylish, immaculate and clean. We chose a standard bedroom which had a lovely view of the mountains. I could not fault the room. There are however, some very, very smart rooms available which we glimped when exploring the hotel.

We found all the staff to be very helpful and friendly. There was no problem being understood in English, my own German being rusty school child level. The staff all wear traditional outfits as a uniform and looked very good.

The breakfast was an extensive selection of the usual breads, cheeses, cold meats, cold fish, yoghurt, fruit juice and fruit. There was also a selection of freshly cooked items, listed on a little German only menu, which didn't appear as an extra item on our final bill, so I suppose they were inclusive, rather than forgotten. Don't miss out just because you can't read German. All-in-all a nice, good quality breakfast served by efficient people.

We ate every evening meal in the hotel. We were too idle to go and look for options elsewhere. We always pre-booked our table because the evening dining rooms, separate from the breakfast room, were fairly small. One dining room served formal Michelin style/standard food and the one we chose served a more tradional and perhaps simple selection. Every night we ate a main course each, plus a drink, followed by coffee. This always cost about 50 Euros. We didn't want to come home fat after too many big dinners on holiday and the dining room didn't seem to mind in the least that we ate one course only. After diner a pianist played a grand piano in the sitting area as we drank our coffee - very civilised. We also ate cake and tea/coffee on several occasions in the sitting area. This cost only a tiny bit more than a village cafe and it was actaully slightly better cake! Overall, on no occasion did I ever feel I was over charged for anything in this hotel. Indeed, there were flask of fruit juice left for guests to help themselves to in the pool area.

The pool area was a pleasure to use. It was clean, the water warm and there were plenty of loungers available. There are big doors which can be opened out onto the garden. We walked down in the robes provided in our rooms.

We did not have a car in the 4 days we stayed at this hotel and it didn't matter at all. You can walk everywhere. We walked to the cable car, to Tegernsee village and around the lake. There are also lots of buses.

To sum up; this is a super hotel, I would love to return. I can't imagine what anyone could find to dislike or fault.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chocolategoddess
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I booked this hotel in the Tegernsee valley for a 2 day work trip and I think for both location and Hotel has been one of my favourite locations to date. The Hotel is just beautiful and staff are very welcoming and friendly. The Tegernsee area is lovely and I would love to return again for a visit. For animal lovers I believe it is also pet friendly. :):)

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a balcony on a high level to enjoy the lovely views of the valley.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Grainne777
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. Its a nice, family run, and very calm based Hotel in the traditional Alpine village style. The folks at the reception are friendly and helpful. All are dressed in Bavarian style outfits, looks fantastic.

Food is very good, well sorted wine list.

you can go swimming in the lake around the corner.

RECOMMENDED

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank FOL-1003
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Now we came back, just for a night, on our trip to Italy. Already on the phone during the reservation the person on the phone gave us the impression to come home again. We booked again a nice room across the street. We had our 4 year old son with us and he enjoyed also is personal bathrobe. We had a perfect dinner and also a couple of drinks at the bar. Breakfast also perfect, people more ten friendly. Again a perfect stay... We will come back!!!

Room Tip: I would stay as usual here at the new rooms across the street.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Frank_and_Barbara
Reviewed January 29, 2012

This is the best hotel experience I've ever had.

Positives - lots!!!!!!!!:
The staff are fantastically friendly and unbelieveably helpful - I had a problem getting internet access so they brought me a wireless router - and offered me a pay as you go dongle to use for free if I needed. Overall they made me feel very special and like nothing was too much trouble.

I had a huge room with a separate bedroom and living area - I had so much space and places to sit I didn't know where to sit first. It was clean, finished to an excellent standard and full of nice touches - like an apple and knife in my room when I arrived. The TV hs hundreds of TV and radio channels - so you can even sit back and watch something in your language.

The hotel facilities are amazing. As well as the multiple and very tasty restaurants (Michelin starred), there are swimming pools, saunas and gyms.

Negatives:
The only 'bad' thing I have to say is that the rooms don't have wireless internet access - which is a bit of a pain on a business trip. There is a wired point by the telephone - so you need to borrow a wire from the reception (free).

Be aware:
You will need a car to get here - or a fat wallet. It costs €130 to get a prebooked taxi to Munich Airport, and most of the things in the area are a drive away, not a walk. It also takes c.1hr to drive here from Munich.

Breakfast is a traditional Bavarian affair - excellent food and plenty of it, but typical German foods rather than 'international' food.

Room Tip: The rooms in the '300s' are huge. First floor rooms get wireless internet leaking out of the conference rooms below.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business