“Nice hotel very close to the station and the centre”

Zum Goldenen Ochsen
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Aschaffenburg
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I travelled to Aschaffenburg for a concert at the Colos Saal venue and had a very short stay in the town, barely a few hours. I needed to be close to the centre (where the venue was located) and the station, mainly because I had a very early train. This hotel was handy for both things and especially for my super early train connection to Frankfurt.

The room was very cosy and clean. The bathroom was spotless and very modern, specially the shower. I don’t think that they had gel or shampoo, just hand soap, so better bring your own.

The décor was tasty and traditional German, with lots of wood, especially in the corridors and reception. It is not a big building and has two doors. We used the back door for entering when we arrived late from the concert.

The staff was real nice and spoke English. I needed a very early breakfast and, as it was included in the price, they opened the breakfast room for me. They displayed all the food I needed and a lot more! A pity I had to leave in a rush and just could eat a bit of it. The food I tried was top quality and delicious.

Price wasn’t super cheap or too expensive, but hotels in Germany tend to be pricey. At least this one had great service and very good rooms. So all good in my very short stay in Aschaffenburg! I wish I had had more time and be longer in there!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotel is one of those solid, well run traditional places you will only find in southern Germany. We were a group of bicycle tourists on a stop-over in Aschaffenburg and really appreciated our overnight stay. The rooms are modern, clean, comfortable, quiet and very well maintained. When on the road, we always try to reserve hotels with their own restaurant, and this turned out to be a good choice at the "goldener Ochse". The cozy restaurant has an excellent menu with mostly regional plates, and also an impressive selection of accompanying wine, mostly franconian. Bavarian cuisine can be quite heavy, but here they give it a slightly mediterranean touch - no wonder so many locals also come here to dine, which is always a good sign. I found the staff helpful, pleasant and welcoming, and the kitchen chef really has a passion for his job. The breakfast next day got us set for a day on the bicycle, and all of us agreed that we would always return to this hotel when in Aschaffenburg.

Room Tip: We had rooms facing the courtyard, which were very quiet, but given the location, there are no "...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The hotel Zum Goldenen Ochsen in Aschaffenburg, Germany, was the venue for a high-school class reunion in October 2012. I have stayed there before and remember many dinners and "beer evenings" in the last century. The hotel consists of a comfortable-looking, half-timbered old part with geranium boxes from spring to fall and a newer part, housing the hotel rooms. The hotel changed management recently, and I found the young couple very pleasant, helpful and exuded hospitality.

My reservation was correct and check-in smooth. I found my room functional and simple, with a comfortable bed. Being familiar with international hotels, I found the bathroom (with shower stall) reasonably-well supplied; however, North American guests won’t find face clothes in many German hotels. Soap cakes are small and body lotions and hair conditioners are not supplied. However, this is typical for small hotels, and one just has to accept local conditions. One just to bring most of toiletries one is used to. Given that most Germans are hardy, rooms are normally not heated until the end of October.

What I enjoy most about the hotel is its food quality. Basically, it represents good German home-cooking. Portions are ample and lunch and dinner is usually accompanied by a very good salad bar. Breakfast (from a self-serve buffet) is ample, varied and very tasty. Baked goods are also varied in just excellent. Good-quality coffee and tea are served in individual china pots, with refills available). There is a good selection of juices, yogurt and, most of all, tasty deli meats (including smoked ham) and cheeses.

The cozy breakfast and dining rooms are attractively furnished in farmer-style with oak chairs and benches. I did not eat lunch there, but dinners were impressive. I ate well-prepared venison (such as stag and wild boar) with dumplings, vegetables and salads. The hotel is well-known and frequented by locals (always a good sign). Service is prompt and friendly. The selection of beer and wine (notably Franconian) is impressive. One has to bring a good appetite to do the large portions justice. Breakfast and dibber service is efficient and attentive to detail.

While the hotel has some parking spaces (free of charge), one has to be there early and one almost needs a shoe horn to maneuver one’s car. Luckily, parking garages are nearby. Main attractions in easy walking distance include the impressive sandstone castle Johannisburg, the Pompeianum (a replica of a roman villa from Pompeii) and a beautifully landscaped garden with vistas of the Main River.

Room rates are reasonable. My room statement was accurate and ready. The owners bade me well. I hope to return in the next few years.

Room Tip: ask for a room looking out onto the court yard
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We stayed here for one night on our way to Austria for a skiing holiday. We arrived later than we'd planned as it had been snowing most of the day and there was a thick layer of snow on the ground when we arrived. We parked in front of the hotel and I went in first to check in and find where we could leave the car overnight. When we brought our 14 month old daughter in before my husband moved the car, the hotel owners were horrified at her having bare feet in the freezing weather (she won't keep socks on for more than a few minutes and she was only out in the cold air for a matter of seconds so it wasn't worth wrestling them back on for the short trip from the car) and promptly and kindly installed her and me by the fire in the restaurant to keep us warm while my husband parked and brought the luggage in.

Their warmth and friendliness continued into our evening meal as, despite our daughter being a little difficult as she was tired from the journey, they were all very welcoming and helpful and even brought her a toy to play with, which helped reduce our stress levels and allowed us to really appreciate the delicious food. You really must eat in the restaurant if you stay here - the food is superb.

The only real negatives of this hotel were that it has a number of floors and a lot of stairs with no lift. While this wasn't a problem for us, although carrying a 14 month old child up and down certainly gave us some exercise, it could be an issue for some. Breakfast was a typical German affair with cold meat and cheese, bread, fruit, etc and was served in a pleasant, large breakfast room. The waitress offered to warm some milk for our daughter which we didn't need but the offer was a thoughtful one and typical of the service we received during our brief stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a low floor if stairs are difficult
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Bagpuddycat
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I checked out 4 rooms at the hotel but it is inconvenient for parking and a handicap person. NO elevator and many stairs. The hallways are very narrow - smaller than average and the halls wind around the building. Carpet changes and there is no consistency in room decor. Restarant is very good with old traditional German decor. Very convienent in altstadt and bahnhof.

Room Tip: No Airconditioning is typical in Germany/Europe
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 18, 2011

In searching for a quaint and reasonably priced place to spend a night close to the Frankfurt Airport, I came across Aschaffenburg. In another hotel review, I saw mention of Zum Goldenen Ochsen. What a treat! It has the quaintness of the wood paneled rooms of German Gästehauses of days gone by, but with bathrooms in the room (not down the hall). The restaraunt was modern with wonderfully updated German cuisine while still offering the old favorite weiner schnitzel.

The location is ideal: close to the train station, in the old town, near the river and castle, across from a park. There is a laundromat one block away. The Frankfurt Airport is a 45 minute ride (20 Euro) away. I couldn't find an airport hotel for less than 200 Euro/night at the airport so I started looking for towns on the nearest rail lines. I usually go west but Mainz hotels were full or also expensive. It was my first visit to Aschaffenburg and I liked it.

If you're looking for a good value in a hotel near the Frankfurt Airport, try this hotel. Several Aschaffenburg train times are direct to the airport but others require one change at Frankfurt's main station. Plan according to your schedule and luggage burden. (Extra luggage can be stored at the airport for 5 Euro/day.)

The price for this hotel is right, too. I saved half of the Airport hotel cost on this hotel plus my round-trip train tickets. I think I found much better food here too. And I definitely got better rest in this quiet town and I got to briefly enjoy old town Aschaffenburg. The old hotel does contain narrow hallways and lots of odd stairs, no elevator. Most of the staff spoke excellent English; others just a little bit. I look forward to staying and eating here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank 12km_commuter
Reviewed June 20, 2011

My wife and I stayed here and had dinner on our last night of a winter week in Germany. We arrived about 7 PM to check in and for our 7:30 Dinner reservation , only to find that the promised parking for Hotel guests was not available as it was occupied by restaurant diners. When I asked for suggestions the receptionist had very little interest in my problem and no suggestions regarding where I could leave my car. I attempted to find street parking within a reasonable distance with no success, and then informed the frontdesk that I was putting the car in their private lot and would move it if and when someone needed to leave. What I expected was an offer to take care of the problem themselves by moving my vehicle and parking it in the promised vacant spot when it became available, but instead they were annoyed and then proceeded to come and get me to move the car and repark it in the lot just as my dinner arrived at the table. What really added to the insult was that a number of the occupied parking spots were taken up by hotel and restaurant employees including the owners. Fortunately the dinner was quite good and our waitress was wonderful apologizing for the interuption of my meal by the front desk clerk. The room was spartan and the bed the worst of our 8 nights in Germany. Perhaps the owners need to decide if they want to limit themselves to the restaurant business or provide their lodging quests with a better overall experience.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple