“excellent meal but problems”

Zum Goldenen Ochsen
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Aschaffenburg
Yardley, Pennsylvania
“excellent meal but problems”
Reviewed June 20, 2011

My wife and I stayed here and had dinner on our last night of a winter week in Germany. We arrived about 7 PM to check in and for our 7:30 Dinner reservation , only to find that the promised parking for Hotel guests was not available as it was occupied by restaurant diners. When I asked for suggestions the receptionist had very little interest in my problem and no suggestions regarding where I could leave my car. I attempted to find street parking within a reasonable distance with no success, and then informed the frontdesk that I was putting the car in their private lot and would move it if and when someone needed to leave. What I expected was an offer to take care of the problem themselves by moving my vehicle and parking it in the promised vacant spot when it became available, but instead they were annoyed and then proceeded to come and get me to move the car and repark it in the lot just as my dinner arrived at the table. What really added to the insult was that a number of the occupied parking spots were taken up by hotel and restaurant employees including the owners. Fortunately the dinner was quite good and our waitress was wonderful apologizing for the interuption of my meal by the front desk clerk. The room was spartan and the bed the worst of our 8 nights in Germany. Perhaps the owners need to decide if they want to limit themselves to the restaurant business or provide their lodging quests with a better overall experience.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank spiegs882016

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Greek first
Boston
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Visited the town for a class reunion and former classmates arranged for a group stay. I have been surprised how easy and informal the reservation process was handled.
Our group had a fabulous dinner at the restaurant and breakfast couldn't have been better.
Kudos for everybody involved in this place from the reception to the housekeppers/cleaning staff.
Yes the cobblestone streets could add to a problem during the night, but I guess even in Germany this was one of the first great weekends for this summer.
I would come back in a heartbeat, especially for the price I have been charged

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Reinhold M
Alyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2010

I've stayed in this hotel as part of a large group on 3 occasions, would make it 4 next year but they are fully booked! I live thus hotel and can't fault it. I've only had an evening meal there once but it was first class. Only fault I can think of was a few noisy passers by but nothing the hotel could do about that!

• Stayed October 2009
1 Thank Georgepb1
perth (the original Scottish one!)
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Stayed 3 nights here with a party of 41, aged from 11 to over 70, whilst performing in the Aschaffenburg Kulturfest with Perthshire Brass. Check in of such a large group was unbeleivably speedy and efficient; due to traffic and weather delays we were running very late and as such had only 15 minutes to re-appear in full uniform ready to head to our first concert venue. Rooms varying in character between the "old" and "new" parts of the hotel, which was atmospheric if possessed of an idiosyncratic room-numbering system.
My room (14) spacious and comfy although a distinct "smoky" atmosphere noted, there being no smoking ban in German hotels. Spotless bathroom, good wardrobe space. Air conditioning wold however have been a boon in the extremely warm weather.
Beautiful breakfast room, delightful young lady on duty there and good selection of breads / rolls / cereals / cold meats etc. All in all , a welcoming base - we have used it as a band before and will doubtless do so again, Aschaffenburg and Perth being "twin cities".

• Stayed July 2009