“Nice touristic visit”

$81.36*
and up
Black Forest and Rhine Falls Day Trip from Zurich
More attraction details
Owner description: This alpine lake is a popular place for a summer swim.
Reviewed June 28, 2014

You can walk in a lovely touristic village, take a ride on the lake, rent bicycles, all free of charge with the High-Black-Forest card you get from the hotel for stays of nights or more.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

Titisee is one place which I wouldn’t hesitate to call ‘exotic’. In fact, given a chance I would make it a compulsory stopover for every tourist visiting Europe. You guessed it right. I am going to write only good things about Titisee. Hold on, these aren’t just tall tales but a reflection of my visit to this beautiful lake. I rarely make an attempt to write a review and if I do, either the place is too good to resist or best avoided!

The visit to Titisee was impromptu. You don’t need to plan it. Any weekend when you are free and in a reflective mood, you can visit the lake. We started from Zurich HB, had a change over at Basel SBB to Fribourg and then another train, this time direct, to Titisee station. The total time of journey was close to 2 hours and that is not counting the waiting time. But all this is worth when you come to the lake.

Don’t expect any major attractions like museums or ruins. This is pure nature, unadulterated and at its best. Once you get down at the Titisee station, you will have to walk for about 7 minutes and you will reach the central bazaar which is bubbling with tourists. There are shops from where you can purchase souvenirs. I wouldn’t say they are reasonable or costly. It all depends on how much you can afford to shell out for an item. What I would recommend is a visit inside these shops to see the world-famous cuckoo clocks. And you will bless me for this. The variety of cuckoo clocks that you will get to see will lure you to buy one. From antique to modern design, from mechanical to battery operated, this is a world of cuckoo clocks made from wood from the Titisee forest. This is what the clock doctors say, at least. Yes. You get to see clock doctors explaining you how one clock is different from the other and why you should buy it. Oh yes, you can get is shipped to your country and they have service centers across the world. If you try, they might even bargain. But that’s a chance possibility, very rare. We spent around 2-3 hours, roaming in the central bazaar, going through every shop and discussing the clocks with each and every clock doctor. By the way, we also brought one and we are mighty pleased by our purchase. It is costly for a souvenir but this is the best that you can get.

Walk a little more and you are at the lake. The glossy, dark lake in the center of black forest overwhelms you. For all the time spent there you think nothing but enjoy the beauty of nature. The still but living water reminds you of the power of nature. You can sit there for hours looking at the lake and area surrounding the lake. You will be surrounded by couples who are indulging in sweet-nothings, families who are trying to breathe in the positivity of the surroundings to their full capacity, kids chattering and playing, dogs enjoying a stroll by the lake and sometimes even a dip. A wise old man sitting on a bench, having his beer, looking at the lake, thinking about something or perhaps nothing. For me watching these different emotions in a beautiful canvas was a welcome change. I have been to some of the best preserved ruins, historical and artistic museums, but they were after all wrecks of the past. At Titisee I was enjoying life to the fullest.

After soaking in the beauty for some time, hunger pangs forced us to find a restaurant. And we didn’t have to wait for long. Just opposite to the lake you will find a line of restaurants. Pick your taste and have a seat, life can’t get better than this. And because it is customary to come to the lake and do boating we decided to take a paddleboat. However, we dropped the plan as there are some nice steamers running on the lake and it is kind-off easy. You can be in the middle of the lake, soak in its beauty effortlessly. The steamer team also tells you about the history of the lake in German and English which I have conveniently forgotten about. That’s a sad. The price of a steamer ride of approximately 45-60 minutes is 10 Euros per adult. For kids it is somewhere around 5 and 7 Euros.

So after the steamer ride we decided to go back. There are trains from Titisee to Fribourg every hour at 40. Honestly, I didn’t want to go but nature can give you happiness, for stress you must go back to work. Who wants stress? Minions like me, who want to earn money. As I was leaving Titisee, I could recall the closing stanza of Robert Frost’s poem ‘Stopping by woods on a snowy evening’

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

5  Thank divs009
Reviewed June 13, 2014

we visited lake Titisee on a rainy day so we did not have the time to stroll around.However it is a nice , relaxing lake with lots of shops and cafes.I recommend this lake for visiting when in schwarzwald!

Reviewed June 13, 2014

On a cool day with enough sunlight, the boat ride makes for a very calming and beautiful experience :)

Reviewed June 11, 2014

If you are in black forest its a must place to visit.. Aweso eview.. chill out.. relax .. or even hore a boat and go in the lake.. ..or just sit and relax.. nice restauransta around to grab some food or nice coffee..

1  Thank Kshitij_saxena