“Great location”
Review of Weinstube Lowen

Weinstube Lowen
Reviewed August 14, 2012

This is the first hotel I have ever stayed at where, on booking a double room for single occupancy, they had only made up 1/2 the bed!! The room & bathroom looked a little dated but everything worked although the floor boards were very creaky! The hotel is right on the town square which was perfect & I didn't find it noisy despite what others have said. The restaurant was a lovely characterful panelled room & seemed to have many more customers than the Baren hotel opposite. The parking worked well. I was given a pass for a multi-storey car park about 3 mins walk away for 4.5 euros a day. Although I was promised free wifi access on booking, the receptionist tried to charge me for it. When I produced paperwork demonstrating it was included I was given access which involved logging in numerous times which was rather tedious. The room safe was key operated & meant I had to give a refundable deposit for the key.
There was the usual small assortment of ham, cheeses, breads, yoghurt, fruit, & cereals for breakfast. They had a nice flat screen TV but only German channels. Although my first choice was the Baren hotel (it was full) this wasn't a bad substitute.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed November 12, 2010

We, my wife and I, went there for a visit of the old town of Meersburg with it's castels and museums and we were very content in this lovely old Hotel in the middle of the Town, on the Marktplatz. The food (game) was exellent too and the service impeccable.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Riri33
Reviewed December 7, 2009

The exterior of this hotel looks like a postcard image of a small charming German town ... I'd bet it is on one, somewhere. Located just inside the city walls of old Meersburg (in the upper town) the Lowen is in a great spot to explore Meersburg on foot. They have parking right at the hotel which is also very nice (esp for a town in an old town center).

The rooms are spare, but clean and comfortable, and the bathroom is typical European small, but the hotel was very affordable and offered one of the nicest breakfasts we saw on our weeklong tour of the Christmas markets. They will make eggs and bacon to order and this was a nice treat on a cold morning.

Meersburg in the winter is pretty quiet, and so it didn't bother us that our room was on the corner overlooking a crossroads - it could be an issue in summer and high season, but it seemed well insulated from sound. We did hear and enjoy the church bells in the morning.

Overall, I think this would be a great base to use for an exploration of the Bodensee area and Meersburg itself. The hotel was easy to get to, easy to park at, well situated in the charming upper town and affordable. As long as you don't expect the rooms to be as charming as the exterior, you shouldn't be disappointed - they are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MsAimClaire
Reviewed October 29, 2009

We booked this hotel based on the great reviews. We called and booked directly with the hotel a larger family room to accommodate our family. When we arrived, the staff were serving dinner in the restaurant, and it took a long time to get their attention. When we got to our room which was up several flights of stairs, we found the room was small and did not have beds for everyone as promised when we booked the room. We went back downstairs and got a song and dance and then they finally admitted that they gave our room away (it was prepaid on a CC). We then had to park the car 15 minutes away far outside of Meersburg. All this took some time so by the time we got to the restaurant it was getting late. The service was terrible. The waiter was rude (even by German standards) and initially refused to provide an ice cream to the kids for desert because he claimed the kitchen had closed (for ice cream???). Then to top it all off we were kept up by a loud group outside until 2:00am and then woken at 6:00 by Italian tourist outside the window. The next day we asked to speak with the manager but were told that he did not talk with customer (read non-German ones). This was the worst place we stayed while in Germany and I can't understand how it could have been so highly rated by others.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank RollingStone2
Reviewed January 5, 2009

My wife and I spent three nights on/around Christmas at this hotel, and feel as if we could not have chosen a better establishment. Herr Fischer, the proprietor, was an enthusiastic and very helpful host. The breakfast buffet was super. The staff was friendly. The room (#17) was clean and large, overlooking a quaintly picturesque square. The bathroom was a bit of a tight squeeze, but you can't expect otherwise in a building of this vintage. Finally, the dinner dining room was excellent, both in service and in the quality of the cuisine. If I ever have the good fortune of returning to Meersburg, I'll be disappointed if a room is unavailable at this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank instanbul2005
Reviewed August 20, 2007

I stayed in this hotel with my boyfriend & my parents for one night as part of a short break to Lake Constance. The hotel is quiet & clean, rooms are spacious (apart from the bathroom & toilet) & breakfast was an ample buffet. Nothing about this hotel made it particularly stand out from other hotels I have stayed in whilst in Germany, however, there were no bad points either.

Meersburg itself is very pretty, although I think we would have been struggling for something to do for more than one day.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed March 14, 2007

As a special treat for my wifes birthday, we stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in March 07. It is not a super-luxury establishment, but all the staff were attentive and friendly. We had room 17 overlooking the small square at the front of the hotel. The room had a separate lounge with sofa and TV, very nice for relaxing on. The breakfast was of a good standard in a delightful dining-room. The accomodation itself was clean and in good order, though the bathroom was a little poky. No adjacent parking (except for off-loading) howver there is a car park a very short walk away (ask the reception for a card to get into it, only 4.50 euro per day).

Meerburg itself was a delight, easy to explore on foot and in March was deserted. There is an abundance of good quality, reasonably priced restaurants.

There is a ferry (15 minute duration, frequent service) that goes to Konstanz - in itself nothing remarkable but there is a fantastic walk along the shore between the town and the ferry terminal. Well worth doing.

Definitely a 'do-again'.

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank Pelikan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meersburg (Bodensee)
Hotel zum Schiff
Hotel zum Schiff
#4 of 20 in Meersburg (Bodensee)
Romantik Hotel Residenz am See
Romantik Hotel Residenz am See
#2 of 20 in Meersburg (Bodensee)
0 mi away
Hotel Restaurant 3 Stuben
Hotel Restaurant 3 Stuben
#5 of 20 in Meersburg (Bodensee)
Hotel Seehof
Hotel Seehof
#8 of 20 in Meersburg (Bodensee)
Hotel Villa Seeschau am Bodensee
Hotel Villa Seeschau am Bodensee
#7 of 20 in Meersburg (Bodensee)
Steigenberger Inselhotel

Been to Weinstube Lowen? Share your experiences!