“lovely, welcoming hotel”
Review of Parkhotel Adler

Parkhotel Adler
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Hinterzarten
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I am actually in two minds about reviewing this hotel as I don't really want anyone else knowing how good it is! I stayed here as part of my honeymoon and they really tried to make the stay special. We had a lovely room and the staff were all very friendly but professional. There is a brilliant spa area which depending on the time you go you can have largely to yourself and a lovely park at the back with deer! We had a bit of a disaster with the other hotel we were meant to move to for the rest of our stay, but Parkhotel Adler welcomed us back at very short notice to save the trip from ruin and even gave us the same room we had before. The choice of items at breakfast was extensive and the waiting staff soon learnt your preferences for that added touch.

Room Tip: If your are tall you may struggle with ceiling height in the older building so ask for a room in the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 13, 2013

The village of Hinterzarten is quaint and lovely. It is set amidst striking scenery - overlooked by tall, dark pines, and possessed of a fragile, fairy-tale of a church (‘Maria im Zarten’) complete with a gracefully fluted, onion-cupola dating back to 1416.

The local inn - now the luxury ‘Park Adler Hotel’ - has been family owned since 1446. A double-headed eagle, crest of the Hapsburgs, still flaps regally over a low doorway and the picturesque, black, wooden buildings have (by design) changed little in two hundred and fifty years.

Directly opposite - on the right-hand side of a paved, private road - the owners have bowed to the march of the time and have tastefully created a grand and impressive new hotel. Reception is housed here together with spacious lounges, air-conditioned apartments and a state-of-the-art ‘Spa in the Park’.

We had requested lodging in the oldest part of the inn and, after complimentary cocktails, were escorted up an ancient, low-beamed staircase and into room 17. Having evinced an interest in historical detail - hardly had our cases been set down, before an enthusiastic member of staff was at the door, ready to unveil the secrets of the next suite (number 15) the very room that once housed Marie Antoinette. One can only imagine the girl’s thoughts as she stood on the narrow, flower-filled balcony (having left friends and family for an unknown future) looking out over these self-same trees, at the pleasant fields where wild deer still roam and over the blue dome of the church - towards the distant mountains and the borders of France. (Early in the 19th-century, yet another Austrian princess: Marie Louise, second wife of Emperor Napoleon I, was also to break her journey here, at the Zum Adler.)

Fifty years before Columbus discovered America a restaurant on this spot was offering refreshment to travellers and - after fire damage in 1639 - the Black Forest house of today was rebuilt in its present form.

That night we dined below stairs in the elegant Adler Abendrestaurant amidst lace, ruched lampshades, long-stemmed crystal and fine antiques. What a wealth of history has been witnessed by these papered and panelled walls! Attended by waitresses, dressed in period costume, we enjoyed an excellent dinner and the only cloud on the horizon was the occasional waft of tobacco smoke from the next table.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Relais-Reviewer
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We made a family (two toddlers) break over Eastern. Very nice and big sized room in the adjoining building where you find the restaurants. However, the way to find the spa is quite challenging and far away (underground and you have to pass through the restaurant). Actually, the room was more a suite (they call it Junior suite). Were met with sparkling wine and sweets for the children in the suite, very nice gesture! Hotel and restaurant personnel very friendly and efficient. We twice ate at the "Wirtshuus", because of the kids especially as it is a less formal place to be as the main restaurant. Food was delicious. The same can be said for the more than generous breakfast buffet including sparkling wine and Blutwurst. The pool is of a nice size and the spa is fine but lacks the wow-effect. Our kids liked the kids corner even though there is no sunlight. We overly enjoyed our stay and for us Swiss, Germany is unbeatable when it comes to value for money. Would definitely return!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank grischtu
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed here for a very nice wellnessweekend. The place is simply great. We often stay in five star hotels home and abroad. However, the friendly staff, the familiar atmosphere (the staff from the manager to the doormen knew our names without hesitating) the quiet wellness area makes this place a shining star amongst other wellness five star houses in this area - everything you need for a great relaxing break pn a weekend. We definitly will visit again and again and again...

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Booked (via Booking.com) for special anniversary one night in Parkhotel Adler. Unfortunately had to cancel the day before due to my partner's mother passing away suddenly. I rang Booking.com straight away to advise, they were most helpful, and said they would try and negotiate a reduced cancellation fee or none with the Hotel. I rang the hotel as well and tried to speak to Management, I was promised a call back but that never happened. I had confirmation by email that the hotel would not do anything. They have not even had the decency to return my call. I then heard that the room had been released straight away (although we were told we could still turn up if we decided last minute to go) and €129 were debited from my credit card straight away without any notification. Business as usual, a week before Xmas ! I never had the chance to enjoy this "fabulous" hotel and never will. We live close by in Zurich and we will find a less luxurious but friendlier place next time we travel to Titisee. Unless this gets sorted.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marie121212
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I had stayed here many years ago on a familiarisation visit way back in the late 80's after which I placed a series of in-house training courses for a large pharmaceutical company at this wonderful venue. I promised then that if I was ever in the area again that I would come back - and so happily this happened whilst on our European tour celebrating my husband's milestone birthday. We had to make a slight detour, but it was well worth it..

The very kind and helpful porter came out to greet us the minute we arrived, took our bags and parked the car. Checking in was also a pleasant experience and the receptionist was helpful and spoke perfect English

I'd booked - as a surprise for my husband - a double room but got upgraded to a junior suite in the main building. This was a kind gesture which was wholly appreciated. The hotel had been completely refurbished since may last visit, and whilst it was lovely then, it was even more palatial this time round. Our suite was absolutely gorgeous - beautiful chandeliers, lovely decor and the bathroom was just superb. Everything was spotlessly clean {as was to be expected of a venue of this calibre!} The bed was so very comfortable that I could have stayed in there all day long - soft linen and a more than cozy duvet with pillows equally as comfy.

The leisure facilities are second to none and we took advantage of making use of the sauna, Jacuzzi and the wonderful swimming pool with its special splashing water features and current jets

We'd made a special effort to dress up for dinner which was taken in the old and gorgeous enchanting Marie Antoinette restaurant with elegantly set tables. On entering the restaurant the head waiter made a point of wishing my husband a happy birthday, which we thought was a nice gesture! Goes to show that such details do get passed to the relevant departments :o)
Dinner was sumptuous and the service impeccable. We’d chosen a good bottle of red wine which luckily was served in beautiful large glasses {so far so good..} However, there was a slight blib when my husband decided that he wanted to have the wine bottle left on our table, as opposed to it being kept at the waiters' station. Once back on the table, one of the waiters promptly took the bottle away again and mentioned that: “he would let us have (serve) the wine when he felt it was necessary for us to have some more"......... oops!! This was most certainly not something to be said to my nearest and dearest!! Really he should have asked if we preferred to have had the wine left on our table instead of making such an arrogant remark - but no doubt he'd been trained that way and meant no harm. Still, no harm done at the end of the day, nobody died! But my husband was quite peeved.
After dinner we asked to see the chef so as to thank him for a lovely meal – it was delicious and the food on our plates was arranged with such passion.
Having been in hotel and catering for over 30 years, I always think it’s nice and polite to refer to staff by their names as displayed on their name badges… and to say thank you. I don’t suppose that many people ask to see the chef, but I think he was quite appreciative that we took the time and trouble.

One thing I will say that disappointed us was that we seemed to be the only couple who had actually made an effort to dress for dinner. There were people dressed in jeans who we felt would have been better served in the Wirtshus which is less formal. I personally feel that if you're going to dine in an expensive and fine restaurant that it's equally important to dress for the occasion. Perhaps we're just too 'old school' ?? but I feel it an insult to venue not to be bothered at all - I rest my case.

Breakfast was a feast in a lovely bright and beautifully furnished room. The food was neatly arranged and laid out over various buffer tables with each item bearing a description of what it was. House ‘champagne’ was also available – something I’d never seen before. Had it not been for the fact that we were due to drive another long distance to our next port of call, we would have had a glass or two.

Conclusion; this venue is a special place in a special setting. Not cheap, but then again for a special occasion it is well worth it. A promise fulfilled together with happy birthday memories for both my husband and myself.
Thank you to everyone who helped make our stay such a special one ! :o)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Baby-Babble
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This was a very nice hotel. We had a view of the gardens and it was very quiet. Clean, nice linens, fantastic breakfast, friendly, easy walking into the town, deer corral, very quaint and cool air. This was a hotel on Mercedes list and I would recommend it. It is not the cheapest place to stay but definitely the best.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank iluv2kruz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinterzarten
Boutique-Hotel Alemannenhof
Wellnesshotel Auerhahn
#3 of 12 in Schluchsee
2 mi away
Treschers Schwarzwald Romantik Hotel
Treschers Schwarzwald Romantik H...
#2 of 20 in Titisee-Neustadt
Hotel Schwarzwaldhof
Hotel Schwarzwaldhof
#6 of 16 in Hinterzarten

Been to Parkhotel Adler? Share your experiences!