This was really a nice surprise. We booked the hotel from home without really knowing that we actually had booked the hotel with half board. Probably our pleasant mistake. We arrived late and had pre warned the reception that we might not be in time for dinner and she said that she would fix a cold plate to be in our room. But we came at a time where the kitchen still was open and she immediatelt called the kitchen to arrange a dinner for us. The cold plate we got as a starter, and the rest of the dinner as the other guests on half board. Superb service.
The breakfast and dinner was very nice everyday and the head waiter, Rene, made us very comfortable. He guided us on local wines to the dinner and told us stories about the hotel and his life. Very interesting. But everybody made our stay extremely nice.
The SPA is nice but you need to book any treatment from home. The same day booking in almost impossible.
The hotel is right in the center of the town, which is very cosy with all the half timbered houses arounf you. The hotel is next to the town hall and we could overlook the town Hall square when we ate our breakfast or dinner through the big windows. The square has some very nice restaurants and coffee shops where you can get those big cakes, you often see on pictures.
The pedestrian street is connected to this square and has some nice shops, but don't expect shopping possibilities as in the big cities. But still there are plenty.
Just off the square you can take the "train" (car built as train) that can take you up the the castle which lies just above the city with a fantastic view over the area.
The town Wernigerode is next to the "mountains" and has a steamtrain with small tracks that can take you to the highest spot in these Harzen muntains. It takes 2 hours to the top with at couple of stops. It is a nice lite trainride that takes about 2 hours, and if there are visibility the view is supposed to be breathtaking. Unfortunately with had rain even though the sun was shining in the valley.
It takes 40 min to Goslar, where there is also a lot to see and we've heard that some of the other towns in teh neighbourhood are quite nice too. so those we will explore next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When you see the half-timbered facade of the listed building of the 4 star superior Travel Charme Gothisches Haus you instantly feel the magic of this hotel located directly at Wernigerode's historic market place. Longstanding tradition combined with innovation: from the very first moment you enter in the Travel Charme Gothisches Haus you are captured by a warm and light atmosphere. In the winter garden, the dark wood of the half-timbered building and its medieval forms and ornaments combine with the large glass dome to form an airy, light-filled room where you can enjoy your extended breakfast in the morning. The rooms, some of them historic, are individually designed with all conveniences of a high-class and modern hotel. "Die Stuben" restaurant offers a wide selection of culinary creations in a pleasant atmosphere full of light, colours and comfort. The "Winkeller 1360" is the right place for wine lovers: an impressive selection of wines embedded in a noble-rustic setting. Last but not least let yourself be pampered from head to toe at the PURIA Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your Travel Charme Gothisches Haus reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Travel Charme Gothisches Haus Hotel Wernigerode
- Travel Charme Gothisches Haus Wernigerode