“Amazing Place - Excellent Service and Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Castle Hotel Auf Schoenburg
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Oberwesel
Boston
“Amazing Place - Excellent Service and Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2010

I found Auf Schonbug to be an amazing and unique experience. Upon arriving at the Oberwesel train station, we had to call a taxi. This was very easy as there was a phone booth and the taxi phone number posted on the building next to the booth. The operator spoke english and our taxi arrived within 5 mintues of calling. I highly reccomend having a taxi take you to the castle. The taxi ride is about 7 Euro for two people with luggage.

Upon arriving at the castle we decide to bring our own luggage in, as it not allot, however Auf Schonburg does have a porter who will bring your luggage up from the parking area if it is needed. When I walked in I was amazed at how beautiful the castle was and all of the antiques inside. The women that greeted us was dressed in the appropriate time period attire. She walk us up to our room and showed us where to find anything that we might need inside of our room. She handed us a blue scroll which outlined our information on our room and stay at the castle as well as providing a map of the castle. Our room key was affixed to a key chain which was a small metal knight. I thought that the level of details were incredible. Auf Schonberg really goes the extra miles to take you back to the days of living like a king in their castle.

We stayed in room 20, It was very spacious and spotlessly clean. There were chocoates on our pillows, a complimentary decantuer of Sherry, and some freash apples waiting in our room. There is ineternet service available in your room iof you have a laptop, there was a hairdryer, mini fridge, stereo with cd's,and a iron and board in the closet, and a tv which was hidden behind a picture on the wall.
We chose to have dinner at the castle both of the nights which we stayed there. The food was absolutly incredible. Each night you are given a complimentary appetizer compliments of the kitchen. The concierge was extremely accomadating and even took time to show us around the castle after his shift had ended. All of the waitstaff are multi lingual and very very accomadting, They were consistantly amking sure that we were happy. If you see something on the menu and you do not think you will like it, they will have something else prepared for you.
I urge you though to be brave and try new things while dining there. The staff takes the time to know what you had the night before such as apperitif, and will ask you if you would like it again before dinner or even something dinner. I was really impressed with the level of throughness with all of the staff. I s!!!ly reccommend the cream of poultry soup...It was delicious....

There is a path to hike down into town, it takes about 15 minutes, this offered us nice views of the river and castle, however it is a little steep at times in comparison to other castles in the area such as Burg Eltz in Moselkern. The hike back up the trail is not horrible but it is steep at times, if you are tired after a day of travelling I would reccommed waiting on the hike.

In regard to the previous negative post about Auf Schonburg, the trains are really not that loud and I did not find them to be distracting to the point were I couln'd sleep. In fact I slept better at Auf Schonberg than I do most nights at home, as I found the bed to be very comfortable, it actually rained and began to thunder and lighting and I found it to be beautiful. The decantuer of sherry allows for the wine to breath and develop flavour. And the decantuer is refilled each day of your stay, so that you may enjoy it in your room or on your balcony after dinner (make sure you drink it, it was delicious). Everything was very clean the shampoo was in a nice glass dispenser inside of our shower. I did not see hair conditioner, however many of the other places that I stayed in while in Europe only provided shampoo and soaps, no conditioner.

The breakfast is served buffet style however it is the traditional German Fair of fresh meats, cheese, crossaints, strudel, delicious fresh made jams, bread, and an egg with tomato and herbs, ceral, oj, coffee, tea, sparkling wine. Everything was incredibly good. Not to mentioned the nice silver serving platters, and sugar and creamer sets. We were not sure where to go for breakfast within the castle so we asked on the employees and they directed us to the appropriate room.

I have been many places and stayed at several differnt star rated hotels. Keep in mind that Europes' star rating is not necessarily the same as in the U.S. but if I had to rate Auf Schonburg I would give them 5 stars without question. It was an amazing experience and I cannot wait to go back again and again. Even if you are only there for 1 night it is well worth the splurge for this very unique and wonderful experience.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Granbury, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2010

My sister and I arrived too early for check-in - not until 3:00PM. When I inquired as to the
status of the room I was told in a very curt and abrupt manner that the guests in the room
had not yet vacated the room. We had lunch on the terrace with gorgeous views .
Not much choice on the lunch menu, but the meal we had was quite good but pricey.
The real trouble started when I inquired again about the status of our room. Again I was
told that check -in is not until 3:00 PM. I had explained at reception that I had been driving
all morning, felt very tired and hoped for housekeeping to clean the room as quickly as
possible. We were finally shown our room - no. 16- supposedly a large double room
with river view. Yes, the river view is great but the noise from continued freight trains
passing below is very disturbing. One can either close the windows and nearly suffocate,
(no air- conditioning) or stay awake all night listening to the freight trains. The barges up and down the river are soothing compared to the trains. Also, we were not told where
breakfast is served, so we had to pick our way through courtyards and hallways to find
the room. Breakfast was adequate but certainly not in the category of a 4 star hotel. In fact
the hotel is overrated. I have difficulties understanding the rave reviews. We could not
watch television from our beds but had to sit on the sofa which was most uncomfortable
and in need of a thorough "Fluffing". There was a carafe of brandy, or some sort of alcohol, - about a 4th full - with just a stopper, not sealed, I suppose as a welcome gift
that no sane person would touch. Who knows how long it has been sitting around. And
this in a four star hotel? We had all sorts of gadgets in the bathrooms, but not one mall container of shampoo or conditioner that even two star motels supply. The whole experience at Castle Schoenburg was a total rip off. We had been looking forward to
a great experience, instead we had great disappointment.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank frances008
ranaecaldwell
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2010

I am ruined after staying here. Nothing will ever measure up!!! I felt like royalty. The views are spectacular, the staff is amazing, the food is wonderful, the rooms are magnificent!. The pictures do not do it justice.
It is stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lajeado, RS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2010

Delightful place! We stayed for two nights and everything was perfect. You can see the castle from the city, before arriving, and you just can´t believe your are going to stay there. Our room (number 14) was absolutely beautiful - the decoration was wonderful, we had a complimmentary bottle of sherry, fresh fruits, bubble bath, a balcony and Rhine view (lovely). The staff was always very helpful and kind. The breakfast was delicious and served in a very well decorated room.
As people pointed, you have to walk from the parking lot to reception, but it was for me a beautiful walking - I felt in medieval times! And if don´t want or can´t carry your luggage, the staff will pick it up for you and deliver it in your room.
We made the Riesling tour reccomended by the hotel and it was also perfect. A local wine producer picked us at the hotel and showed us the vineyards, the celar and the most interesting sights at the city. At the end, we had a small tasting of some wines he produces. Back at the hotel, we had a wonderful dinner.
I can say, I felt like a Queen. The cost was high but worth it. I highly recommend!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2010

I agree with the other reviews. This place is gorgeous, the service is fabulous, and the rooms are perfect. Views of the Rhine from this castle are the best we saw. You are allowed to roam the castle, which includes a walk on the top of the castle wall, various terraces, and rooms with nice antiques. There are superior hiking trails around the castle, including the Rhein Burgenweg. Just next door is a youth hostel, so they actually have the same view, at a much lower price point. The only place near by to eat is the castle restaurant, which is the weak point for this hotel. The food should be better for what they charge. It was very bland and nothing special. But the wine was the best we had on the Rhine. Service helped make up for the food, as they were extremely helpful and attentive. So, it's expensive. But everyone deserves a splurge from time to time, and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2010

Wonderful restaurant and loved the rooms and view. The road across or bridge was a little scary Us girls walked across

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank J S
Bethesda, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2010

The Castle Hotel Auf Schoenburg has been reviewed at length here. We concur with all the praise. The place is delightful. We enjoyed the room, the view, the food, the setting and the staff. Thumbs up for all.

On arrival we warmed up in the library with hot chocolate and cakes, a great way to start. We were lucky enough to get the table for 2 next to the fire place, but any space in the several rooms that make up the informal "bar", for lack of a better word, are charming.

Dinner gets some mixed reviews here. Ours was excellent. The dining room was full, so confirm a reservation in advance. It is not cheap, but the prices are reasonable for the setting and the high quality of the food and service.

We asked for, and received, a room with a river view. It also had a balcony. Even on a cold January day it was fun, for a few minutes, to sit out on that balcony. The views around the castle all are spectacular, so if your stay does not include a river view, 1) you might get a nice view anyway (just a guess) and 2) there are places on the property you can go for great views of the river.

There is a short, steep hill from the parking lot to the desk. If you can walk, you can navigage the hill. If, like my wife, your mobility is limited, the hotel will help you out. So long as you arrive and depart at the designated hours, the porter will pick you, and your luggage, up in a golf cart and transport you to the front desk. (He will pick up your luggage even if you can walk just fine...he shows up very promptly if asked.). I would not recommend this hotel for a person who has severe mobility limitations (cannot get out of a wheel chair, for example), but for someone you uses an aid like a cane and needs some help with the rough spots like the hill and a few steps inside, it is just fine. If you anticipate needing help, an e mail to the hotel will bring a prompt response with all the details (very easy, just know the hours).

For those who are fully mobil, there are pleasant walks to be had starting and ending at the hotel, for as long or as short as you like.

We only stayed here one night, but hope to return. Distances are short in the middle Rhine and Oberwesel is centrally located in that area. I have no experience with the many other hotels in the region, but we would probably just stay here for several days as a base for the area from Mainz to Koblenz.

The hotel is quiet, as is the area generally. If you want what the middle Rhine has to offer, this hotel is a great place to stay.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank spunkymoose
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oberwesel
Burg Reichenstein
Hotel Restaurant Altkolnischer Hof
Landhotel Zum Kronprinzen
Landhotel Zum Kronprinzen
#3 of 6 in Oberwesel

Been to Castle Hotel Auf Schoenburg? Share your experiences!