“Disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Oberwesel
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
“Disappointed”
Reviewed July 4, 2008

When my husband and I arrived at Schoenburg, we were absolutely amazed. It felt like being on a movie set. We stayed in the Tower Room with an incredible view both inside the room and outside via the balcony. We ate a wonderful dinner in the restaurant, and the breakfast was fantastic. Although service was a little disorganized and lacking (we had no instructions on where to go for dinner and breakfast and had to wander around a bit to find our way), our biggest problem occurred at check-out and we hope to warn others with this review. We had originally booked two nights at the castle, but our plans were thwarted by a Belgian rail strike that would not allow us to get into Germany on our planned arrival date. We contacted the hotel as soon as we learned of the strike (48 hours in advance) and received a confirmation suggesting that there were no problems and they would see us a day later than scheduled. Only when we checked out did we learn that they charged us 80% of the cost of the first night that we canceled. We were shocked as this was a huge expense that came without any warning. We were told that their cancellation policy includes a two week notification. I have no doubt that this was in my original booking made one year in advance, but I certainly did not remember it a year later. My biggest disappointment was that it was never mentioned when I contacted them to cancel. If I would have known, we would have saved quite a bit by renting a car and driving from Belgium to Germany to keep the reservation. My advice is to not cancel with this hotel unless you have traveler's insurance or extra money to waste. The nail in the coffin was that the manager who handled our check-out shared a chuckle at our expense as we were leaving with the couple in line behind us. We won't be back.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
9 Thank TRAVEL4EDUCATION

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle
Reviewed July 3, 2008

We only stayed 1 night but we took in so much. We stayed in the top tower and the room, the 12th century atmosphere was excellent. The reception and staff were friendly, the food excellent. Having dinner overlooking the Rhine was just glorious. The complimentary breakfast was so luxurious it was more like a "high tea", We loved the town of Oberwesel. Excellent value for money.

Stayed June 2008
Dallas TX USA
Reviewed June 22, 2008

My husband and I could only get one night at Schoenburg and I'm SO glad that we were able to do that. It was one of those experiences that I know we will talk about for the rest of our lives.

We were in the room with the bookcase/bathroom and it was AMAZING. The room itself was enormous and the bath was like a little hidden gem. The bath gel, soap, etc were all in littel crystal decanters and smelled like heaven.

The views from our many windows (six, at least) were all spectacular. The beds (it's a king-sized frame but has two twin mattresses) were super comfy. I think the German style of separate covers for each person probably saves a lot of marriages - what a GREAT idea!

We had the chef's special dinner (when you're splurging, why not go all the way?!) and it was DIVINE. The best food we had in our two weeks in Germany, bar none. We'd never had the German style white asparagus and I found the color off-putting initially but once I tasted it I was hooked.

Due to scheduling conflicts we had to make Schoenburg our very first night of our trip so we were exhausted and hadn't yet gotten into the swing of our half-remembered German but the staff was kind, thoughtful and really attentive while really leaving us alone to explore the fantastic property.

Note - I arrived in heels (I'm from Texas, what can I say?) and had to lug our multiple bags up the giant cobblestone entry. It's easily a hundred miles (perhaps my memory is clouded?) so if you can communicate your need to the desk staff and get them to send the luggage guy, do it. We couldn't figure that part out so it was a rather dissheveled , winded duo who eventually arrived at the desk.

All of the windows in the room opened so we had lovely breezes - this was especially intoxicating in the bath - but it took us until we were in a different hotel to realize that many of the windows open at the top - they sort of lean. I thought I'd broken the window and was horrified so wanted to warn others as I'd not experienced this kind of window before.

The town of Oberwesel was picturesque and very lovely. There's not a lot to do and they clearly don't cater to tourists. My husband and I are very much into "going local" when we travel so that was fine with us and we enjoyed finding off-the-path spots to eat & explore but Sankt Goar (approx 6km down-river - a very affordable taxi-ride) was much more touristy if that's more your speed.

Overall Schoenburg was so much more than I could have ever hoped for, I cannot wait to go back some day.

• Liked — Views, food, room
  • Disliked — That we couldn't stay longer!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Canto, Ohio
Reviewed June 6, 2008

I was here during June, and it was fabulous. The staff is multi-lingual, and very helpful, they will answer any questions that you may have. I stayed in a double room with a courtyard view for 160 Euros, it was probobly the greatest value I have ever gotten in Europe. It was decorated in fashion with the 12th Century fortress, with tevery modern convience snuck in as to not detract from the charm. The resturant is well priced and has great food (I recommend the Veal Schizel) One could wander around the grounds for days. Small paths connect the center square to many secluded courtyards with beautiful views. The gift shop is spread through the main room with the goods displayed in glass cabinets. Good prices and Great expirences, I would definately spend my German vacation here

• Liked — One of our hosts said "It's your holiday, do as you will" It's the summary of the stay
  • Disliked — No vacancies
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed May 3, 2008

Hi there!

This review is a little late, but the memory of such a wonderful evening is still very fresh in my mind!

My husband and I spent a wonderful 5 days in the charming town of Oberwesel for the New Year holiday.

We did not actually stay the castle (we stayed in the wonderful Weinhaus Weiler - see my review)
But for our New Years Day meal, we booked a special dinner with the Castle Auf Schoenburg.

The Castle is high up overlooking the town, and the taxi ride up was very exciting!
I knew upon entering that we were in for a spectacular evening - we were greeted in such a professional yet welcoming way, and the room was just perfect.

We ordered the tasting menu, and I have to say I more than impressed with the quality of the flavors and presentation...I was trying hard not to squeal with glee - course after course!
Each course was inspired and unique. A fish course was paired with mustard ice cream - and was incredibly delicious - I can still taste it now!
The house wine that I was served was the finest quality of wine I had on my entire trip (and believe me allot of great German wine was consumed!).
The service was absolutely inpeccable - I have never been struck by service before, but here you felt like royalty.

so - from top to bottom - nothing but a perfect evening.
I would love to visit the town again someday, and will make sure to book a night or two in this lovely castle!

• Liked — romantic historic atmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Idaho
Reviewed February 12, 2008

The wife and I stayed in the top tower room for our 10th wedding anniversary just before we left Germany. It was well worth the 195 euros we paid (June 2005). The view, history and local scenery is beyond words. You'd pay more to stay in a lesser NYC hotel. Make sure to book 2-3 months out if you are particular about the room you want. The castle is only accessible to paying guests, so this is a prime opportunity to explore an incredible castle. Ich lieben Deutschland!

• Liked — History, service and friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything bad or below standard
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jackwertz3
Felton, California
Reviewed December 31, 2007

The Castle Hotel Auf Schönburg was our last hotel during our eighteen day trip through northern Germany and, I have to say, we definitely saved the best for last. After reading that this was one of the top ten castle hotels as rated by Frommer's, I felt we had to give it a try. Correspondence with the hotel was seamless and it was as if the hotel was eagerly awaiting for our arrival. When we checked in, we immediately felt welcome which meant, of course, that we fell in love with the hotel. Our room (a Tower Room) was absolutely beautiful and had everything that you could ask for (even a CD player... complete with very romantic music). And the view from our balcony was absolutely breathtaking. Dinners in the hotel restaurant were magnificent and the wait staff was superb. Plus, since we had a car, we were able to take one day and drive to the Johannesburg Wine Region as well as visit the charming town of Rüdesheim (although, I would have been just as happy sitting on our balcony, reading a book). Oh, to be back there now ...

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CADreamin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oberwesel
Romantik Hotel Schloss Rheinfels
#1 of 19 in Boppard
Landhotel Zum Kronprinzen
Landhotel Zum Kronprinzen
#3 of 5 in Oberwesel

Been to Castle Hotel Auf Schoenburg? Share your experiences!