“Worth Every Penny and Then Some.....!!!”

and 1 more site!
Castle Hotel Auf Schoenburg
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Oberwesel
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Where do I start. I am left breathless by this place. We came from the Frankfurt Airport by car which took an hour maybe a little more...but I don't think so. You can also get there by train...it pulls up right into Oberwesel and you just need to figure out how to get up the hill. It is a steep and winding road up there. If you are taking the train, check with the hotel about suggestions for transportation up there. It is not far up the hill, just winding and steep. We drove and upon reaching the castle we were already left speechless. It was beautiful. We parked the car per their instructions before the bridge. We left our bags in the car and walked up to the castle. They were expecting us and gave us a warm reception. Including a beautiful welcome letter that was rolled up in a scroll of sort with a seal from the castle. It was done in beautiful writing with a picture of the castle. It told you information about your room, and the hotel. But it is obviously meant to be kept and possibly framed. It is on heavy paper and was a nice touch. Once we checked in, they asked for our car keys and said they would get our bags for us and bring them to the room. The check-in area was beautiful and I had not seen anything else yet. Old wood, old solid furnishings...beautiful carpets and tapestries. I was enchanted. They gave us our room key which as I recall was a knight....very heavy thing...don't want to carry that around:). Then someone came and escorted us to our room. We stayed in Room number 12 which had a gorgeous view of the Rhine River. It was a large room with a comfortable four poster bed. The bathroom was sizable. Off of our bathroom was a balcony facing inland where we sat every night before going to dinner. This was elegance and then some. On top of that, the way they treat you....every t is crossed and every i is dotted. She showed us around the room and then pointed out the large carafe of sherry and fresh apples that they left for us. What a nice touch. The windows were beautiful and could be opened for fresh air. There was a settee at the end of the bed. Honestly, if we did not have so many things to see and do in the area...I could have just stayed in this hotel 24/7. Sigh.
Dinner is included, at least it was with your room and I would highly recommend it not only for the incredible feast you will experience...but because that long winding road down from the castle is not lit at night....don't want to end up in the Rhine! But who would want to go anywhere else for dinner??? It was the best meals I think I have ever had! The politeness of the seating. Then the choice of wine.....lovely selection of local German wines. By the way....that area is covered with vineyards. At dinner, when looking inland, there are vineyards right there. They had a great wine selection of local wines and made excellent choices for us every night. First, the amuse-bouche...different every night and delightful. Then, hard to remember there was so much good food...I think a salad and then maybe soup...probably both. Also, wonderful bread and butter (that butter was good) with each meal. Then the meal. Then cheese I think, then dessert. I lost track after awhile with so much good wine and food. I am telling you...this was one of the best experiences I have ever had anywhere. They were meticulous about everything.
Before dinner or after dinner....several places to sit in the castle to have a drink. But the best is the outdoor terrace overlooking the Rhine. When we were there, it was cold and yes a bit rainy...but we sat out there anyways! It looked like in nicer weather, they might even serve food out there. The view of the Rhine with a great glass of Riesling is something you cannot miss. And, it is sort of like going on a cruise. Everyone that is there eats there at night...so before and after dinner is great conversation with fellow travelers. They have rooms where you can read or play chess, etc. They have free wifi in certain rooms of the hotel. I could just go on forever.
Breakfast....fantastic. I huge buffet of everything imaginable. But my favorite was the little glass dish which held a cooked tomato topped with half of a soft boiled egg....oh, just that alone I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Any food you wanted at breakfast and....they will also cook you eggs and bacon (eggs anyway you want) if you ask...for no extra charge. Yum!!! Of course, they had champagne at breakfast too...what a great way to start your day!
Okay, clearly you can see that this is a fantastic destination not only from my reviews but from others. You just cannot pass this place up.
From here you can visit many things...take a cruise on the Rhine...we visited Burg Eltz which is a wonderful castle and still in fantastic condition. Mainz is a cute little town worth visiting and Rudesheim.
Castle Hotel Auf Schoenburg....I can't thank you enough....we will come again gladly!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank parisparis5

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This hotel is everything you would expect from a 5 star. Service and room where excellent. Only drawback is no elevator which they are every open about in their ad. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Before writing my own review, I looked at the others. Can this place really live up to the 5 stars that so many people rate it? Absolutely! The very few people who rate this as average or worse must be impossible to please and maybe like to complain, but I digress....

We arrived on literally the hottest day of the year, almost 100 degrees. We took the train to Oberwesel and decided to walk, yep walk, up to the castle. Foolishly, I did not ask for directions to the path, so we took the sidewalk along the road all the way up. But, we were not disappointed when we arrived. The castle and grounds are simply amazing. We opted for a mid-priced room with a balcony overlooking the Rhine. It is amazing how much train traffic and boat traffic there is, but it did not keep me awake at all

We wandered the excellent garden and grounds, had a beer and headed down to dinner, included with the room cost. We expected this to be our main entertainment for the night and really enjoyed dinner on the terrace overlooking the Rhine. We thought the food was excellent and worth the $45 they would charge non-guests. We also opted for the wine pairings and were happy the wines were local. The wine was delicious and very plentiful

Breakfast was also good with many options. Check out was a breeze. We did find the path and walked down, much shorter and quicker! We got on a boat and took a 2 hour cruise on the Rhine, a perfect way to end our trip to the castle.

I went into this stay preparing for it to be a bit gimmicky and stuffy, and I was amazed just how casual and great the whole trip was. It's a definite must, a real experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The whole experience was wonderful! We wished we found this place sooner as it was amazing! The rooms were wonderful and better than pictured on their website... We had the Barbarossa suite and room 14... The Barbarossa suite was huge and amazing... Which worked perfect as we brought our 7.5 month old... There is a separate room from the master room that has two single beds- this is where they set up a crib for us. There is also a separate sitting room with stocked mini bar, CD player, 2nd tv, bottle of sherry... And nice bathroom... Bathrobes and slippers provided....

Dinner was so tasty... 4 courses with 2 extras from the chef, and the morning breakfast was a wonderful European breakfast buffet.

Did I mention the castle is amazing? So neat to walk around and explore... And be sure to explore the grounds too.... Wonderful place to bring a camera and get some great family pics!

Lastly, the staff, most accommodating and helpful staff.... Everyone went beyond customer service and was so helpful and professional...

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank EuroEri
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed in the Rhinelander room (#34) which is up two flights of narrow stairs just off the lobby. It was huge, had a hidden door to the bath area, a little balcony with great views and perfect squeaky floors. Note that some rooms do have an elevator but a few do not. Also note that our room had no shower so you had to do the bath tub thing. It was slippery and had no grab bars. Good idea to bring you own bar soap. All they provided was bath gel.
It was always cool in the room (no A/C) so we slept with the windows closed. This might be VERY important because we noticed that a little box of ear plugs was on each of our night stands. Turns out that the train tracks down by the river are heavily used, like every five minutes! Note that the Casle is not near the tracks and there were no train whistles. But, they move so fast that the sound bounces off the sides of the river gorge below the Castle so........you get a low grade noise that's a bit like a jet plane flying over at 10,000 feet. With the windows closed it never bothered us and we didn't use the ear plugs. With windows open........hmmmm!
Parking info. As you approach the Castle you'll come upon cars parked on each side of the road. You can park there or continue across a very narrow wood bridge after making some tight turns. Across the bridge are about 10 or so little parking spots to your left. Do not go to the right up the hill toward the Castle. After parking, leave all your bags and take the short hike up the hill to reception. Once you check in the bell guy with the little motorized bag/golf cart will get your bags so just ride back down with him. Dragging bags up the hill over the cobblestones is a bad idea. If you have trouble walking or are in poor physical condition this may not be the place for you. I'm not sure it's even possible to push a wheelchair up that hill. Perhaps the bell guy could give a person a lift if needed?
Food was great and service wonderful.

Room Tip: If not in good shape, get a room with an elevator.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I blindly booked this castle as a one night stop down the Rhine for our family trip to Germany - mainly for the pictures and availability. Needless to say we wished that we had stayed a week in the beautiful castle! The service was out of this world, the food was absolutely delectable and the accommodations took you back in time - but in a good way. Our dinner server was one of the best servers we have ever had and when we went to tip him he would not accept since he was a manger and encouraged us to give it to the other staff members. Come to find out he was the son of the family that owned the castle! The views of the Rhine were out of this world - we will definitely be back again!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank AndreaCT66
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Had a queen bed and a queen fold out sofa bed for the kids. Really a reasonable price as it includes breakfast and a four-course dinner. Nice stay. Our really only problem was that the Rhine was flooded and it was difficult getting over the river with lots of roads being closed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oberwesel
Romantik Hotel Schloss Rheinfels
#2 of 19 in Boppard
Hotel Bacharacher Hof
Hotel Bacharacher Hof
#3 of 9 in Bacharach

Been to Castle Hotel Auf Schoenburg? Share your experiences!