Hotel Van Bebber
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgreat placevanwaitressatmospheregermany
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Old fashion hotel, with lots of charming atmosphere. The whole Xanten town is very charming.
The hotel is very clean. Breakfast highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 14, 2012

First stayed at the Van Bebber in 1994 on business, several times since and most recently at the end of January. Unfortunately this great place is now no more than a German travelodge - room, with breakfast. To be honest I only ever ate in the hotel on two occasions, both times less than enjoyable. The beer keller in the cellar is now closed ( permananetly ? ) and is privately owned and the bar ?.....the end of the reception desk.
Upon check in, I went to pick up my key..."PLEASE WAIT !!" was the receptionists request. "If you are out after 10pm, please take your key for the front door.....". Not entirely welcoming which is a great shame as the Van Bebber is a great whacky hotel in a lovely North German town.

Room Tip: Only ever got what I have been given !
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 22, 2011

Curiosity brought us to Xanten. It was my grandfather's birthplace. The city made "stepping stones" in front of the people's houses, where the Nazis took them away and murdered them.I wanted to see my grandfather's stepping stone and the house, and to make it an enjoyable break, we stayed in the hotel van Bebber. We were not disappointed. The rooms were lovely. The decor in the hotel is wonderful. The breakfast was excellent. I would like to go there again.
We were disappointed that the restaurant (which is supposedly so good) did not open.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2009

After extensive 'research', on Tripadvisor and a few other websites, for a traditional hotel with nearby restaurant, that would be comfortable and not too far away from Weeze Airport, we decided to book the Van Bebber for a short stay in August 2009. This is both a hotel and restaurant right in the centre of Xanten, a really nice little town with a picturesque cathedral and pedestrianised area, lots of little shops and a square with plenty of restaurants. A good decision!

We originally thought of booking via Expedia, but as their rate (€76 per night per double room without breakfast) wasn't any cheaper than booking directly (€98 per night per double room incl. breakfast of €11 per person), we decided to make our own booking via telephone and email, bearing in mind the comment of one of the previous TA reviewers (joei19) that they had experienced problems with their booking via the internet.

The hotel was easy to find. We were travelling by rental car from the airport on rural roads, so driving was really easy. Once we reached Xanten, we just followed the 'hotel route'-signs which make you drive on a ring road around the small town centre with well-marked turn-offs to the different hotels. The hotel front faces the pedestrianised zone, so we actually arrived from its rear entrance which is just over the road from the big free car park.

Reception was friendly and efficient, although not overwhelming and when asked about the area later, the receptionist didn't prove to be very knowledgeable. The reception hall walls were full of antler-headed trophies which, we were informed, had been the result of hunting in Namibia by the ancestors of the family owning the hotel. They were pretty impressive and added to the quirky character of the communal areas of this hotel.

The rooms themselves, however, could have done with a few extra little touches to make guests feel more comfortable and 'at home'. Although very spacious and clean with a big en-suite bathroom, our room was very dark and there were hardly any decorative elements. There were not enough pictures on the wall and a drab artificial plant in one corner would have made an excellent entry to win the competition for the saddest room decoration! A big plus was the room's balcony which had lovely flowering agapanthus all the way along its front.

The double bed was ok, there was an expensive mini-bar (a small bottle of water cost €3!) and a small old tv. Free wireless internet worked fine after a few attempts (ask for password at reception) and the room was very quiet. There weren't many toiletries provided, so best bring your own. The shower could be hand-held and had good pressure.

The breakfast buffet was sufficiently stocked – tea, coffee, milk, fresh rolls and different types of cut bread, a great variety of muesli ingredients as well as lots of different jams, fruit, cream cheese etc. – all very nice. The only minus point, if you like a continental breakfast, was that the selection of cut meats was not that impressive. Service was very attentive and the waitress asked several times whether everything was to our satisfaction and checked that we had enough coffee in our thermos flasks.

One evening we also had dinner in the hotel's cellar bar-restaurant, which had a really cosy atmosphere. Service here was very good and the food was good too, although we wouldn't think they are quite ready to apply for a Michelin star yet! There are plenty of other restaurants nearby and on one of the other evenings we went to nearby Hövelmann's.

Summing up, we thought that this hotel suited our needs well and we would not hesitate to recommend it. If you are in the area and have time, we would also draw your attention to the excellent nearby 'Royal Air Force Museum Laarbruch Weeze' and the lovely nearby pilgrimage town of Kevelaer, which we think is worth a vist too.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2007

I loved the hotel and enjoyed my stay in it. The hotel is very historic and cosy and already when I checked in I felt I was welcome. The staff is very friendly and helpful and I have never experienced that great service before. The restaurant is fabolous and the food was just fantastic. The hotel is just steps from Xanten Cathedral and the mediaeval city center. Xanten itself is just a visit worth: the no. 1 Roman Park in Germany , the other museums and the shops are just phenomenal. I am sure I am right with saying that this hotel is the best in Xanten city center. During our six-day stay we made four day trips to Duesseldorf, Kalkar (Schloss Moyland) , Centro in Oberhausen and Amsterdam and it was very easy to get there. So, Xanten is also a good alternative if you want to visit North-Rhine Westphalias big cities and the Netherlands but stay in a more rural area. When I come to Xanten again - and I hope this will be soon- this hotel is my first choice.

Stayed: June 2007