“Bored in Germany”

Archaeologiepark Xanten
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Xanten
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I have been to two Roman sites in Germany and both have massively disappointed. A few years ago I went to a place called Varus near Munster and boy was it dull, boring and not very good. This is better, but only just. I expected better for my 8 euros, the information shows a spectacular Roman settlement, but in reality it's like walking around 50 football pitches. There is a lot of grass and paths to walk along and around, but little more than this.

Yes, there is a full scale remake of a Roman temple (in Ruins) that covers the original temple is actually under the remake - you can see it if you go under the new bits, but it just looks a pile of bricks. Nothing as good as say Hadrian's wall. There is a Roman arena - but this is similar, it's just a remake of the original.

I had a cup of coffee in the café and I expect on the continent a decent cup of coffee and not some wishy-washy horrid machine muck and for 2 Euros it was rather steep. To be fair the Vanilla Cheesecake was okay.

There is a museum and to be honest I was so bored I headed back to the car - my friends who I visited the place with liked the museum, but from reading other reviews on here, it seems that any artefacts are just replicas anyway.

For something that is claiming to be a major archeologically site and attraction that is up there with the best in Europe, it is rather poor.

3  Thank Steve H

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Well worth seeing - lots to see - fort reconstructed - museum has to be visited - food / restaurant on site

1  Thank Happydays46
Reviewed September 23, 2012

There was much more than I expected. It is a very large site with lots of interesting exhibits. I am not a person who likes this sort of attraction but it kept my interest.

1  Thank B3GE
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This park is wide and contains a lot of historic, roman, buildings. Especially the bathing house was very nice. In August they have open air opera performances.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

This seems to be one of only few places in Germany where quite much from the time of the Roman Empire still can be seen. Really commendable if you are interested in world history.

2  Thank F. H