“high class, good food, big rooms”

Welcome Hotel Wesel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Wesel
Nairobi, Kenya
“high class, good food, big rooms”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed on a business trip in Feb 2013. The hotel was warm and airy, i stayed in a large room complete with a kitchen, large bed with high standards of cleanliness. Outside, the weather was winter and snowing with the river making a nice backdrop.

The restaurant had a large variety of food - breads, juices, coffee, cheeses etc

The wait staff were unobtrusive and efficient.

Room Tip: i liked ground floor adjacent to parking, but i guess those facing the river would be better
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very large room with, more an appartement with kitchenette. All new or renewed, very clean, comfortable.
We stayed for one night. Exquisit breakfaste, included in the room price. Attention for lot's of healthy and fress food!!
We took the buffet dinner, this was beyond our expectations for German cuisine!! Large choice of dishes, with diff vegetables!
The Fitness and wellness is rather small, but there are so many things to do outside, closeby.
Shopping in Wesel, cosy village. bar Qstall, outside heated swimmingpool, with glides, minigolf, bike rental (cheap), big lake, walking.....Perfect area for lot's of fun, with or without children.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kris V
Bruges, Belgium
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here 3 nights in a package with 2-day tickets for Moviepark en dinner included. It was a realy good offer, we didn’t pay much. We got a big suite, when you’re with a minimum of 3 adults you can get a suite with 2 rooms and 2 bathrooms. So my husband an I slept in one room and my mother-in law and son in the other. We had each our own bathroom and chared a kitchen, balcony and living space. That made it realy spacious and made us possible to put our son in his bed and stay op to talk, drink something or watch tv.
The rooms and bathrooms where very clean and tidy. The furniture is a little worn and the bed is not that comfy for people with back pain like myself. It was summer and it could get warm in the rooms, closing the curtains in the morning helped excellent. We got the advice not to open the windows in the evening because of the thousands of little flies and mosquito’s coming to the lights at night. When we took an evening walk, we experienced ourselves that there are indeed a lot (and I mean a LOT) of little flies flying around there. Talking an evening walk is not that comfy in august.
The breakfast was ok, everything on the buffet got refilled frequently. Not plenty of choice but enough to have a nice breakfast. The dinner was 2 nights very average and one night very good. It is a buffet but very limited: choice between fish and meet and 2 kinds of vegetables. Only the desserts where not that good or not present at all. When the dessert-buffet went out (aprox. at 9 p.m.) you only could get an ice-cream for dessert. One night it was tiramisu and I wanted that tiramisu, like that very much, but everything was gone by the time I got to dessert.
Staff was very friendly and helpful, in restaurant and at reception. Went to the (public) swimming pool once (the weather was not that nice), it is a very nice open air swimming pool with stunning views on the Rhine, waterslides, children’s pool, enough sunbeds etc… You have to ask tickets for the swimming pool at the reception desk. The pool itself is a 100 meter walk from the hotel.
We also went 2 days to Movie Park, you could do it in one day, but the weather was not so nice to do anything else so we went 2 days. Also Xanten, the archeological site, is nearby. The roman museum is new and I can especially recommend Xanten with children! They get in for free, there is a large playground, a water-playground, a huge ‘air-matress’ to jump on and the museum itself is very interactive, they can try everything out, put a Roman helmet on etc. There is also a room where you can play roman boardgames. The town Xanten itself is also worhtwhile visiting.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Indra_and_Wim
London, Canada
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My room was huge and I enjoyed my stay. The room was clean with lovely bath supplies. The staff seemed a bit unfriendly, but maybe it was just the language difference which made it seem that way. The restaurant served a nice breakfast and lunch.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have been in this hotel many times because of my job.
The room is not just a single room. Actually, it is like an apartment. There is a bedroom, diningroom, kitchen and the bathroom.
The restaurant is quite good but a little bit expensive. The sauna area is pretty nice.
The hotel is not located in the city center but on an area close to the river where many activities can be done outside if there is good weather, i.e. jogging, walking, biking (bikes available to rent at the front desk...).
I strongly recommend this hotel if the traveller travels on summer time. However, during winter time, people can get bored as there is nothing outside.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank xasose
Belgium
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is a long, negative review. The hotel has many excellent traits, most of which you can read about in the other reviews. Rather than repeating that, I want to tell you about our experience with the hotel. When nothing goes wrong, it is smooth sailing. But when things screw up, oh boy... read on to learn more.

When you make a reservation for the hotel through email, they send you two PDF-documents. One document contains their general conditions (the small print). The other document is the actual reservation confirmation which you need to sign and email / fax back to the hotel. The reservation document lists the room price and any other extra's (such as the daily fee for a dog or the room upgrade to river view).

Let me start at the end of our visit. When we checked out we received a bill which listed an additional 50(!) Euro / night to cover for the breakfast of our kids (7 and 9 years old). Since the signed reservation form didn't mention this at all, we disputed that. In fact, it clearly listed the 129 Euro room price as being for 4 persons - it did not mention that of those 4 persons, only 2 would get breakfast.
The lady at the reception desk was not receptive to our complaints. She pointed out that "the prices are clearly listed on a sign [next to the reception desk]" and that we "already got a special room price". Since I refused to pay the extra amount and the lady equally stubbornly (customer service anyone?) refused to adjust the price, even in the light of the proof that was their very own reservation form, we were not happy campers.
After some more discussion, she said that we would not have to pay for the dog and that we would get our last drinks for free. This added up to about 35 Euro, still leaving us with a 15 Euro disadvantage. I decided to give in and get it over with. Obviously, we were not happy with this outcome. The Welcome Hotel has a very un-Welcome customer service. Sad but true.

For those of you still wiling to read on, there is more negative news, I'm afraid.
During reservation, I requested a room upgrade to a Master Suite, with river view on the highest floor. Base on that request, I got a new reservation confirmation (PDF) in my email, which listed that we would get a Master Suite with river view for an upgrade price of 60 Euro / night. Nice!... Or so we thought.
When we came into our room, we noticed that it was a Junior Suite (the kids had to sleep on a sofa bed in the living room) on the first floor and that the river view was not existent (hidden behind a row of tall trees). We went to the reception desk before we unpacked anything, but the lady (another one, but obviously with the same stubborn attitude) coldly said that there was no other room available. She replied in German, although we addressed her in English and although the Welcome Hotels' web site is also in English, giving a false impression that the personnel speaks English. At least you would expect some language skills at the reception desk. She also looked totally uninterested in solving any problems we have had.
We didn't let that ruin our holiday, so we went back to the room and unpacked our stuff and had a fun evening with the kids. Our dog managed to escape from the room when we were settling for dinner, but luckily no hotel visitors got eaten before we managed to intercept her in the hallway.

The next day, I was curious about what went wrong with my reservation, so I bravely went to the reception desk to enquire. There was another lady, which spoke fluent English. A good start! However, she was sadly just as stubborn as were her colleagues. At first she claimed she knew all about it (since she had handled our reservation herself) and she was going to proof to us that we never actually reserved a Master Suite. She looked through a binder for a few minutes but apparently wasn't able to find said proof. Right.
I showed her the reservation confirmation for the Master Suite, which looked like ample proof that we DID reserve a Master Suite. Her only reaction to that was that she "had no idea where that came from". At that point I started to get pretty annoyed. As a compensation, she added that "making mistakes is human" and surely I would understand that.
Of course, I understand, but I would think that by now someone would have apologized to us. But not the Welcome Hotel, nope. Not once did I hear a single apology from anyone at the hotel. Surprisingly she suddenly did have a better room for us (at a higher cost, of course!). However, I had already to her that I did not want to change rooms anymore at the start of the conversation (we were all unpacked and only staying for three nights), but that I had just wanted to find out what went wrong.
When we came into our room later that day, there was a fruit basket waiting for us. That was a really nice gesture which I assume was to compensate for the cold treatment at the reception. And no, the fruit basket did not come with an apology card. In case you're wondering: I did go down to the reception to thank her for the fruit basket.

The last thing I want to say about our not-so-Welcome Hotel experience is related to the Bongo coupon which we used for the initial reservation. The coupon says the children either get tickets for the outside swimming pool next to the hotel or a soft toy. Since the pool was closed (November), we expected that our kids would get their toy. At no point in time did anybody offer any soft toys. I guess they just forgot. I guess I'll just forget the Welcome Hotel next time I'm booking a vacation.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank ChrisDL
Lund, Sweden
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Why I cannot write about anything else but food regarding this hotel... Maybe because the food was so extremely delicious! Dinner buffet included sallad bar, soup, warm dishes and selection of cheese and sweets. Also on breakfast buffet there was anything you could think of - also a separate table for organic food. And everything was very beautifully presented - especially the butter. The wi-fi connection worked well, but was not included in the room rate. One hint I could give - when they say do not leave the window open in the evening, you should follow that rule. I got a huge fleet of flies (and butterflies - the hairy nightly variants...) in my room as I had the window open when it was dark outside and the flies came towards the lights. But that was my own mistake. Otherwise everything was perfect in the hotel. Location a bit off - over 3 km to the railway station, but taxi cost only 7 euros.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wesel
Hotel Haus Duden
Hotel Furstenberger Hof
Hotel an de Marspoort
Hotel an de Marspoort
#1 of 7 in Xanten

Been to Welcome Hotel Wesel? Share your experiences!