“Mediocre experience”

Hotel-Restaurant Thomsen
Hotel-Restaurant Thomsen
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Delmenhorst
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I didn't choose this hotel. Somebody booked it for me. Arrived lateish but OK welcome. Although it appeared on the face of it clean, it was a single room and it stank of smoke (as witnessed by the ash tray in the room). I guess as a UK citizen I am not used to hotel rooms smelling this bad. I couldn't open the window because I could hear traffic so put up with it. Even though I thought of trying to change rooms, I was so tired that I hadn't the energy. The rest of the stay was fine, including breakfast

Room Tip: Non-smoking room if you can get one, and away from the road
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel-Restaurant Thomsen

Reviewed April 3, 2014

The hotel is nice but not so comfortable.
Low english speaking, confusion on check in, poor support for Bremen touristic indications, spartan room, no fridge in the bar...
It's surely clean and cared but, long way ahead to improve...

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Despite being a family-run hotel, I felt our entire week there was rather an impersonal one. The reception was hardly ever manned, the staff in the restaurant were inattentive and sometimes quite neglectful and the cleanliness of the rooms left a bit to be desired. We enjoyed our stay, and were happy with out family room, which was spacious, light and quiet. A lovely child's bed was provided with proper bedding, which was lovely.The bathroom was fine, apart from the ghastly stench of stale ammonia from the toilet which rather overpowered us. A toilet freshener could easily have been provided. I would also have liked a few hooks on the bathroom door and a room safe for passports etc, as the reception was not manned in the evenings and the back door was always open.
Breakfast buffet was ok and is available between 6-10 am, only you got the feeling that if you hadnt finished by 8 am, the staff lost interest and were too busy helping themselves to the food and smoking in the back room, than attending to the needs of their guests. On a few occasions, we experienced the staff vacuuming around us and the buffet while we tried to enjoy breakfast. Not ok. Also, some of the cheeses were hard and stale, the fruit salad had fermented and the sliced vegetables were a bit limp. The location for us was perfect, as we were visiting family who all live in the vicinity. It is approximately 20 minutes by foot into Delmenhorst centre, but there are plenty of bus stops near the hotel for those who can't walk that far. The bar staff could not speak English at all so best bring a phrase book for ordering food or drink in the evenings if you do not speak German already. The restaurant served decent meals in the evenings, and there is an ok bar. Again, you get the feeling that it is frequented mostly by family members and local regulars. All in all, apart from the small, easily changed things mentioned, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would most probably stay there again simply for the sheer practicality of it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Free Wi-Fi, Decent buffet breakfast, nice bar area with a good pint and food

Rooms were quite dark and abit depressing but have small tv. does the job.

beds were comfy but the pillows were strange, cant get your head to settle on them.

overall its an nice hotel for facilities but the rooms were not that great

Location, its about 25minute walk to main town and train station (which is then 15minutes into Bremen).

plenty of bars and resturants in the main town.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Despite the breakfast included with the bed and the free wifi, I'm failing to see any other positives with this hotel.
The negatives include; small and depressing dark rooms, the strangest and most uncomfortable pillows I've ever endured. And worst of all is the seemingly endless construction work going on within the hotel!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank lee27150
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel over the past 7 years on a regular basis and feel very comfortable. The hotel rooms may be basic but are cleaned daily and the food in the restaurant is of a high standard. Always made to feel very welcome on each of my visits

Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Hotel Thomsen is a very basic hotel, and has therefore very simple rooms. It is located on the main road leading towards the center of Delmenhorst, has a nice terrace, a bar and restaurant. I have dined in the hotel and was pleased with the food and service. I stayed 1 night at this hotel in transit during my bike ride. For some reason, as a guest, I have not felt completely at ease. The hotel offers free WiFi, but one must log on and this process is very laborious. The temperature in my room (#208) was high, I opened the window, which has not helped that much, instead I was hindered by traffic noise. The breakfast was very simple.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Delmenhorst
Hotel-Restaurant Goldenstedt
Holiday Inn Express Bremen Airport
Landidyll Hotel Backenkohler
Landidyll Hotel Backenkohler
#2 of 3 in Ganderkesee

Been to Hotel-Restaurant Thomsen? Share your experiences!