“The best part of our trip to Brazil”

Amazon Tarzan Lodge
San Antonio, Texas
“The best part of our trip to Brazil”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I found Tarzan here on TripAdvisor several months before our trip. He responded quickly to my emails and answered all my questions. I was hesitant about picking a guide from the internet for many reasons, one being that I was traveling with my 12 year old son. And you tend to be a little more concerned when you have a child along. But, Tarzan was great! He picked us up at the airport, took us to the hotel for the night. Was there on time the next morning to pick us up to make the trek to the lodge. He has people coming and going all the time, but he made us feel like we were his priority (just like I'm sure he made everyone else feel also). He took time to explain things to us, took my son fishing several times, and made sure we were comfortable. Rico was our guide for some of the excursions and he was also very nice and knowledgable (and speaks excellent English).
As others have explained, the lodge is very simple but clean. The meals were very good -- much better than what I expected. My only recommendations are that:
- They need bigger/better fans in the rooms. There was a small fan on a ledge in our room. However, it's REALLY hot and a stand-up oscillating fan would have been nice. The fan on the shelf really didn't help at night because it blew air above our heads so we didn't get the benefit of it.
- Rooms should be cleaned daily. I think they cleaned them twice during our 5 day stay.

But, these recommendations/suggestions wouldn't keep me from recommending this place or going back again. At the end of 5 days, they felt like family and my son is already planning our next trip there.

We spent 3 weeks in Brazil and this was our last stop. I think it was the highlight of our trip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sherrym78218849

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
none
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I had an amazing trip and experience in the jungle thanks to the knowledge and kindness of Tarzan. He is a very knowledgeable person that perfectly knows the area (plants, animals, traditional medicine, which is of great value for me as a biologist) and is very caring. This is the kind of adventurous trip that I would highly recommend to everyone who is interested in discovering the nature in this wild part of the world!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Poznan, Poland
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I´am just after the trip with amazon Tarzan and I must say this this experience was just breathtaking. The virgin amazon forest, the variousity of beautiful animals and plants... and everything living together in a great hormony. Many oportunities to take fotos, to learn how to live in the jungle and to enjoy life! Norberto is a very experienced guide with a lot of knowledge, he helped me discover deeply any smallest detail of the selva. Our lodge was located in a beatiful área at the Reserve Juma river - rarely visited place surrouned by the virgin rainforest. I highly recommend this company! This experience will always stay in my memory !

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I had an amazing time with Amazon Tarzan, we did all sorts of adventures ! One of my best vacations ever! I highly recommend it. The food, the trips, the jungle, the lodge, the very friendly people....couldn't have been better!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Wendover, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We did a 3 day tour with Tarzan based at his lodge in the Rio Juma area. At 65, my wife and I have travelled extensively around the world and would rate our Amazon visit up there in our top ten destinations. Much of this was due to Tarzan. He cared both about us and about the environment in which he operates. We did all the usual things, piranha fishing, caiman spotting, river dolphins etc and all were memorable. But it was the simple things that made it remarkable - dawn on the river, paddling silently up small tributaries, suddenly spotting a sloth high up, in the trees.
The accommodation is basic but that simply added to the experience. The food was remarkably good considering how remote we were and Tarzan mixes a great caipirinha.
At such a distance, it is quite difficult to choose which organisation to go with into the Amazon but I think it would be difficult to beat Tarzan and his people. From the moment he met us at the airport to the moment he dropped us back there, he did an excellent job.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NomadicTeachers
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Despite the drama throughout 2012 in getting to Manaus, from the moment Tarzan had collected us from the airport until we were dropped off at the airport to return home, it was nothing but exciting, fun, adventurous, nerve-wrecking and special! Tarzan reminds me of African tour guides who are so in their element with heightened senses, spotting a monkey while we're busy getting through jungle vines. He is genuinely kind (looking after our sickly coughs and my sunburnt), fun and very knowledgeable. Cris' family are nearby and are the most friendly and helpful bunch of locals which added to our happy experience. We couldn't have asked for a better trip! Be prepared for a REAL jungle tour.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KCH007
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We were 2 girls and we stayed with Tarzan and his family for a 5 days / 4 nights stay which allowed us to see everyhing in the region and do all kind of unsual activities. The Juma reserve is really beautiful and we were able to see many animals, plants thanks to the very precise and accurate knowledge of our enthusiastic guide Tarzan who grew up in the jungle. Tarzan and his family were really helpful and attentive to what we wanted to do. I would definitely recommend the Amazon Tarzan Lodge: close to this beautiful nature, a real expertise and simplicity. Just what you need.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Careiro
City Center
Cirandeira Bela
#1 of 35 in Manacapuru
Amazonia Golf Resort
#1 of 1 in Rio Preto da Eva

Been to Amazon Tarzan Lodge? Share your experiences!