“Nice hotel, perfect for families” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alpenhotel Oberstdorf

Alpenhotel Oberstdorf
Ranked #12 of 50 Hotels in Oberstdorf
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Nice hotel, perfect for families”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed for 2 weeks while my daughter was at a special ice skating camp in town. The hotel was quiet, and our balcony had beautiful views of the mountain scenary. Breakfast was amazing (great pastries, a musli bar and always a surprise like waffles) and the waitresses were very sweet, even offered to make my daughter a lunch pack for the rink. The rooms were large and spacious, german country style. The pool facilities were well kept and nicely decorated. Strange that we had a kítchenette that was disconnected, I think it would have been nice to be able to have both (possibility to cook and also eat at the hotel) This was a good 4 star.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Dorsten
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

I visited the Alpenhotel with my colleagues for a two-day meeting. There is a lot of things which can be said in favour of this establishment.
The double rooms I encountered should actually be called Suites or apartments. I could easily imagine to bring the wife and kids here plus another guest - into one room, and it would still be spacious. Everything seems to be high value and very tasteful. However, I heard some of my colleagues complain about rather small and old-fashioned single rooms. Serves them well, those divas who want to sleep alone!

The swimming pool was very nice, really comfortably warm and with a breathtaking panorama of the snowy Alps. I went down there every morning despite not hitting the sheets before hours past midnight...I didn't use the wellness offerings but only heard good things about it from the co-workers who did so.

The breakfast was excellent. I always enjoy hotels where I find tasty things I didn't encounter before in a breakfast-menu. This time it was homemade banana-milk. Yummy!
The restaurant is OK - but I would recommend it only with a grain of salt. It apparently tries to be high-class without coming close to it. Ambition is not a bad thing, but my feeling is that they should stick to hearty Bavarian food, I am quite sure that would be more satisfying.

What is more to say? The idea to lump three houses together as a hotel and connecting them via (certainly not dungeon-like) tunnels is ingenious and I liked that very much.

The staff was helpful and very friendly. Especially the barkeeper who endured us until way past his usual workdays/nights.

The only minus was location. They had a bus for outings, but if I am not mistaken no regular ski-bus as in other hotels. So you have to rely on a car. Also, if you wish to do some shopping or clubbing, you are lost without a taxi or car. But maybe I just missed some things.

WIFI was there and for free (big plus!), but you don't get connection in all parts of the hotel. From my room, it was close to impossible to check emails.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank hoernla
Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2006

Its a real nice four star hotel consisting of three buildings which are coneccted via an underground tunnel (which is nice during the ski season, I think). The Hotel is nicely located in a small village about 5km from Oberstdorf. Since I was on an hiking trip, I liked the location, since a lot of hiking routes start just nearby. After my trips I enjoyed the 3 different saunas a lot. The sauna area is really nice. On the other hand, the pool is smaller than it looks on the website. Same goes for the outdoor pool which is not directly connected to the indoor one.
The Restaurant is nicely decorated and the food was good but without one exception not excellent. Service was trying its best but was humbling from time to time (warm red wine, warm table water - you´d better stick to the bavarian beer instead).
Our room was huge and really really nice. It was called a standard room, but was more like an appartement, which we really enjoyed. I would not hesistate to stay there again on my next hiking trip since it is a nice bavarian 4-star hotel. But just don´t expect the Ritz and you´ll be fine...

• Liked — The breakfast was really nice
  • Disliked — Humbling service (warm wine, warm table water etc.)
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a "Guest Card". It´s free and gives you some discount on the local attractions
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family