“Great food & dietary needs aware”
Review of Saschas Kachelofen

Saschas Kachelofen
Ranked #6 of 111 Restaurants in Oberstdorf
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Germany
“Great food & dietary needs aware”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I originally found this restaurant when looking for places that offer gluten free food.

They do and the stuff they serve is delicious. In two different vacations we have now been there about ten times ;-) They serve "local" dishes of which the baked Bergkäse is my favorite. The portions are good, so no need for a starter. Especially given they have some very nice deserts.

I would advise you to make an reservation. Especially if you need gluten free, you have to order one day earlier. If you do, you can get nearly everything on their menu gluten free, which is awesome.

• Visited January 2014

• Polish first
UK
“Good meal and good beer too!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We only ate once at Saschas, but enjoyed stopping for a beer on the way home a few times, as the hotel management kindly gave us an hour of free Internet connection. The restaurant menu contained a good range of local dishes, and when they arrived were of reasonable quality. The staff were welcoming and friendly.

• Visited June 2013
Beaverton, Oregon
“Food was good...mean, rude waitress brings it all down.”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Ok, first, a proviso... I speak a little German. Just enough to get by.

We chose this restaurant primarily because we were staying at this hotel. We ordered from the English menu. Not long after ordering a waitress brought a single salad (there were three of us). She asked us (in German) who got the salad? She got VERY annoyed when we couldn't tell her how to do her job. I picked up a menu hoping to find the items we ordered. This apparently was unsatisfactory since she tossed the salad bowl (literally tossed) onto our table saying something like "you figure it out".

The next morning when we walked into the dining room...there she was AGAIN ! She asked for our last name. I told her my last name. She asked again, but louder. I told her again in a normal voice. Apparently she is of the school of thought that louder is better, because she yelled this time. I pointed at her seating chart, directing her attention to my name printed on our table. She just walked away.

The food was great. Just avoid the waitress with the perpetual snarl on her face.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank J A
Wolverhampton, England
“Good atmosphere and local food”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We ate here one night when our favourite restaurant in Oberstdorf - Die Traube was closed at the end of the winter season. This restaurant proved to be a good choice. There staff were warm and welcoming and the dining room was warm and cosy. The menu contained a good range of local dishes which when they arrived were of high quality and well cooked. This restaurant lacks the local atmosphere of the Die Traube but is a good replacement for one night. We will return.

• Visited April 2013
Stuttgart, Germany
“Great food, nice atmosphere”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

It was a beautiful night, so we sat at the tables outside. I ordered off the seasonal asparagus menu and it was absolutely delicious (but way too much food!). My husband ordered a Schwäbisch specialty with an Allgäuer kick-it was topped with a local Bergkäse (mountain cheese). Everything was absolutely delicious and the beer was (while not our favorite Munich beer) great for the nice summer evening. The inside of the restaurant is actually nice and bright and cozy-I was surprised no one was using it! But when the weather's nice, it makes sense to be outside :) We'll definitely go back-in winter or summer.

• Visited June 2012