“A gem of a hotel in a gem of a town.”

Romantik Hotel Am Bruhl
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Quedlinburg
Monmouth
“A gem of a hotel in a gem of a town.”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was a beautiful hotel with an interesting history having been a seed testing station before the Second World War. It was difficult to get an idea of what exactly this was but the hotel consists of a house and huge converted barns. Arriving drenched from a sudden mini monsoon mine host scored a hit by serving me with a pot of tea in the bar and a small reviving beer for my husband. The room was very pleasant and breakfast was amazing. The hotel lies a goodly step from the railway station, especially if it is raining so gets a taxi. It is conveniently situated for the town and a 10 minute amble along hugely picturesque cobbled streets will bring you to the centre.
Reception staff speak English as do some of the waiting staff in the restaurant. If you want a comfy, friendly, stylish hotel in the city - look no further.

Room Tip: We were I room No 3 which was up a short flight of steps and very quiet. Don't miss a meal in th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
North Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Beautiful from the lobby to the rooms. Clean and comfortable with big room and bathrooms. A great choice for the money. It is a close walk to the cathedral, maybe 10 minutes, and another 5 minutes to the markt square. There is also a nice park just up the street from the hotel. Parking is plentiful just out front.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Cabnfever
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 26, 2013

First , I want to say that if you've never been to Quidlinburg Germany, you should go. If you're American and don't speak German definitely go in the summer. Or, take an interpreter if you choose to go in the winter because you are truly going back in time and I didn't meet any English speaking people when we went in the winter, however, I was fortunate to be accompanied by my son who speaks the language fluently. Furthermore, to my knowledge, Quidlinburg is one of the only places other than Prague unscathed by WWII. I booked the Romantik Hotel Am Bruhl through "name your own price" on Priceline several years ago and got a surprisingly low rate. My Mother and I stayed at this hotel after being deserted by the German speaking son who left us to go spend time with his former Host family in the country. I find Germany to be the cleanest country in Europe so you know the hotel rooms are crazy clean. The hotel offers a delightful restaurant that I dined alone in one night as my mother wanted to rest after a hard day of making it clear to everyone she was from Texas. First, Do my best and succeed in asking for a pot of tea, a few minutes later the nice waiter brings the tea then walks across the room to assist other guests. I begin to pour the tea and suddenly hear a loud panicky "NEIN" from the waiter as he runs toward me, he says something as he gently removed the tea pot from me. I guess I didn't let the tea steep long enough ? My food came, it was delicious but I was terrified to pour my tea, finally the waiter came up to me and approved, the meal was excellent although I was a little nervous. My son briefed me on how to say " may I have I take a plate to my mother in her room" this was before smart phones, I didn't have my English/German translator so had to call the son and have him talk to the waiter and he arranged room service for my Mom. The hotel like the village was not yet accustomed to American travelers and Quidlinburg is like a secret little place that very few have heard of including many Europeans AND Germans. Again, they have interpreters in the summer but in the day of smartphones, I'd go back in the winter for the Christmas Market and Quidlinburg's "Advent on the Courtyard" , or , take a German speaking friend. Any time of the year, this is an incredible place and I'm eager to go again, stay at the lovely Romantik Am Bruhl. Especially now that I know how important it is to make sure to let the tea steep properly.

Room Tip: Practice your German or take interpreter, especially during winter months.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Applescruff1959
Napier, New Zealand
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed here for two nights. The staff were very friendly and helpful and gave us excellent suggestions for where to visit and places to eat. We had lunch at their restaurant on the first day and that was pleasant. The rooms and the hotel are very comfortable. The lounge area near reception is a food place to chat with friends. The breakfast was delicious. The hotel is in easy walking distance to the local sights and it has good parking. I recommend this hotel as a nice place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank bluekakariki
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We were very pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Comfortable and pleasant. I had been thrown by the word "Romantik" in the name of the hotel since it can have other connotations in English when combined with the word "Hotel", but it turns out to be part of a chain by that name. The staff was very pleasant and friendly, the room was clean and neat and quite charming and breakfast was excellent. We ate dinner outdoors in the restaurant connected to the hotel and had an excellent meal, one of the best we had in Germany. While not located in the center of town, access to the castle and the center of town was a pleasant 5 minute walk. We would highly recommend this hotel and even more highly recommend Quedlinburg---a spectacular little place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GeneBrooklyn_NewYork
Hasselt, Belgium
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Having been again on a business trip with one of my colleagues, I was very pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the Romantik Hotel am Brühl in Quedlinburg.

My colleague had booked this hotel via one of the internet booking centres and, as often, we where pleasantly surprised to have found a nice gem again.

The location of the hotel is within a few minutes walking distance of the historic centre of Quedlinburg, which was placed already in 1994 on the UNESCO World Heritage List for its beautifully kept town centre and castle, being one of the best-preserved medieval and renaissance towns in Europe, having escaped major damage in World War II.

Parking our car was easy in the nice car park right in front of the main entrance door. The hotel reception and bar area are very nicely decorated and check formalities where dealt with in a friendly and professional manner.

The rooms, of the De Luxe standard, were furnished simple but tasteful, attempting to create a certain Mediterranean feel and surely succeeding in that attempt. All the usual fitting can be found, with the exception of a Mini bar, which I, however actually see as a plus point, rather than a negative one. The large and bright bathroom was equipped with all modern fittings and accessories one expects to find in a hotel of this category. Only the provision of a fixed soap dispenser at the sink at inside the shower is something I personally don’t like very much, but I am aware that this is starting to become more and more standard in German Hotels.

The nice and cosy bar area was able to provide drinks that should cater for most tastes, but the fact that the receptionist doubled as bar lady was a little let down, whilst understandable at this time of the year, where visitor numbers are on the low side. However, a few “nibbles” served with your drink, as standard in most parts of the world, would have completed the nice picture.

Having walked across the nice inner courtyard, which can be used to sit and enjoy a meal and some drinks weather permitting, we entered the Restaurant, which is called “Weinkeller”. The name of the restaurant is the only thing I could fault, as this German word literary translates in to Wine Cellar, which usually describes an establishment where you can taste great wines and get “something” to eat. Now in this case, the name does do the culinary delights, prepared by the chef and served by the very friendly and knowledgeable staff, anywhere near justice.

No wonder that the Gault Millau Guide has given the kitchen a very justified 13 Points, as this is easily the best Restaurant in the area.

As for the Breakfast, served in the very nice and bright breakfast room, one can only say that no wishes where left unanswered by this buffet style continental breakfast. All Items are of highest standard and the friendly and efficient service leaves nothing to be desired.

To conclude, all I can say in way of recommendation is the fact that I am looking forward to be able to stay there again, soon.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ikke5473
Cheltenham
Reviewed September 12, 2011

All the staff we met were very pleasant, friendly, and helpful. I was provided with very nice gluten-free bread for breakfast, which I much appreciated, the buffet was very good and served in an attractive room.
Our room was rather small and there was little clothes hanging space - I especially dislike fixed clothes hangers which offer little flexibility. Come on guys - we are not going to pack them!
The location is good, a 10-minute walk from the station in a quiet leafy area of gracious Jugendstil buildings and just a step away from the lovely old town.
One criticism - the carpets were grubby and our room was somewhat tired for a 4-star hotel..

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple