“Horrible Service”

Eulenspiegel
Ranked #118 of 238 Restaurants in Bamberg
Cuisines: German
Reviewed June 27, 2013

What a horrible experience.
We sat outside in this 'establishment' at around 1 pm, ordering two drinks, an asparagus creme soup an two main dishes. Shortly after the soup arrived - which was over-sour and flaky, not what you expect from a 'Spargelcreme Suppe', and my girlfriend had to throw up - people sitting next to us started smoking. We moved onto the next table, when the exact same thing happened, despite our visibly and audibly making it clear that we moved because we were eating. We chose another table, and moved our drinks and the 'soupy whatever'. I think up to this point, I wasn't necessarily angry with the restaurant or staff, since smokers aren't their fault and well, tastes may differ with regard to the soup, although I don't think they'd win an award for it. However, after we sat down again, I had a good view of the inside and saw our waitress at the till, starting to complain loudly, so I could clearly hear her, and in very unfriendly terms to her colleague about us 'having moved again'. Had she stopped herself there, I might have been ok with it, but no, she kept on blabbering and blabbering. So, while my girlfriend went in to throw up in the rest-room, I approached the waitress and told her that if I our desire to have lunch without smoke being blown into our faces is such a problem for her, I would now pay the soup and the drinks, and then we would leave. She made quite a scene saying that the food was ready and waiting (strange, now, since we obviously still were dealing with the soup, so either she would have brought the main course while we were still at appetizers or the main course was sitting out getting cold and stale). I made it clear that I do not care since as a paying customer there is a kind of behavior and attitude that I do not have to accept, and [--] about me loudly when I can see and hear her falls under that premise. Her claim that she was so bothered because our changing tables means she 'has to switch it in her computerized till' is absolutely laughable, and I told her this much based on my 17 years of having worked in bars and restaurants myself. We left hungry and angry. This place is an embarrassment, and this was one of the most horrible service experiences I have had. If this woman had been on any staff I was responsible for, she would have been fired.

Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Stopped here for lunch in Bamberg and it was really disappointing. Cooked from frozen French fries and vegetables and schnitzel that tasted like it was cooked in the same oil as fish. Terrible food.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I have been here before several times and have never been disappointed. The service we experienced was top notch, and it was always quite busy even before noon. The atmosphere was jubilant and warm. The food was comfort food and they even served that wonderful Bamberg specialty Schlenkerla smoked bier. My girl had never been to Germany before and this place made her feel quite at home. We had venison one day, sauerbrauten another, and a few other dishes along with our bier. It is casual and relaxing and definitely worth visiting often. If you want cozy eat inside, if you don't mind the foot traffic as people go over the bridge, you can take in the sights while sharing the experience outdoors.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We only had drinks at this bar, but we fully enjoyed it. The location is great as a mid-point when hiking between old town and the churches up the hill, and after all the walking, a nice fresh beer is just what you need.
The staff was friendly and attentive, and the atmosphere was cozy and inviting. We stopped here a few times while we were staying in Bamberg.

Reviewed July 23, 2011

I have been to this historic restaurant in bamberg twice and both times received cracking grub and service in a top atmosphere at good value prices. Especially good in pfiffling season.