Hotel Graupner
Hotel Central(Bamberg)
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Wohnbar(Bamberg)
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 2, 2006

The Graupner is in a marvelous location, and overall is a good-looking hotel for the price. However, the problems we experienced overshadowed the location and ambience of the place: 1. our room was very small, 2. the TV did not work, and they made no effort to fix it, 3. a large cockroach appeared in our room one morning! and 4. although our reservation confirmation said parking was free, we were very surprised to find we had to pay 6 Euro per day for it. They would not do anything about the parking fee, despite the fact we had a copy of the reservation promise for free parking and a TV. On arriving home, I sent an email to the hotel complaining of these disappoinments, and the owner wrote back saying we could have a night free on our next visit! That won't happen. We would love to visit Bamberg again, but we will not stay at the Graupner.

• Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank BarbaraJA
Reviewed July 13, 2005

Having read some of the other reviews of this hotel on trip advisor AFTER having booked a room there, it was with some trepidation that we arrived at the Hotel Graupner. Happily, our fears proved quite unfounded however & I feel rather compelled to defend the Graupner's honour!
Located above a stunning Konditorei/Cake shop in the most beautiful part of the old city, the graupner is attractive inside & out. The rooms I saw had all evidently been recently refurbished & to an extremely high standard. The bathroom in our room was a little on the small side, however. The staff were pleasant and polite. On the downside, the breakfast was a little disappointing, especially given the quality of the cakes on sale in the Konditorei & the graupner's good reputation as a cafe.
Nontheless, we had an extremely pleasant sojourn here & found the hotel to be very good value for this part of Bamberg.

• Stayed: July 2005
7  Thank snowbunni
Reviewed February 1, 2005

Visited the hotel on the last weekend of January. Maybe I was in a totally different place than a couple of previous reviewers, but can't find any fault with the place. For 48 euros p.n. (through hotel.de) I got a clean and spacious room (third floor), with tv, ensuite (enough warm water as well) and a working heating system. The breakfast was good and the staff friendly and welcoming. Location is also quite good between ZOB and Altstadt. If I can't get a room at the Spezial, this is one of the o.k. alternatives.

• Stayed: January 2005
6  Thank iussi
Reviewed July 18, 2004

We spent three weeks in Germany on holidays and had a wonderful holiday with the exception of our stay in this hotel. Our enjoyment of Bamberg was ruined as the owner, who happened to be at reception on our arrival, tried to upcharge us upon arrival despite a written contract with a price quote given by the hotel by e-mail and even confirmed by us with a second e-mail prior to arrival. The disagreement was that even though the hotel was aware that our family consisted of two adults and one child, they wanted to charge us an extra charge for the child's breakfast. Then the owner told us that if we didn't pay the extra fees, we would only receive one bed - our room which was a junior suite for three, would be changed to a room with only one bed, and all three of us would have to sleep in one bed. When we asked to stay in the room we had reserved, the owner told us we would have to make up the pullout sofa ourselves for the child but the child still could not have the breakfast which was supposed to be included. The free parking in the guest house turned out to involve a drive to another building over one kilometer away which was impractical so we ended up parking in a public parkgarage for extra fees. Therefore, our child was not allowed to eat the breakfast provided. We did not agree to the upcharge as it was unfair. This hotel did not live up to their written email quote and their free parking doesn't state that this parking is an unreasonable distance across to the other end of the city. As a result of our treatment the enjoyment of our stay was ruined. I would emphatically not recommend this hotel when you visit Bamberg. This was our only incident of upcharging in our entire holiday.

11  Thank 123water
A TripAdvisor Member
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 22, 2004

A friend and I stayed at Hotel Graupner in May and were totally disgusted.

When we entered the room the first day we noticed there were toe nail clippings as well as clumps of hair on the carpet. When a man at the front desk was approached his comment was "that's what you get in a backpacker room".
He said he would have someone come and vacuum but that person never appeared in the length of time we were there - three nights.
We were in a room that the shower was in the hall. The shower door did not lock so my friend and I had to stand guard while the other one showered.

I think what bothered me the most was the comment made by the front desk. When I asked about it the following day saying the room hadn't been vacuumed the comment was the same again but this time with an offer to upgrade the room but of course we would need to pay the extra cost.

I do a lot of traveling and on this last trip stayed at 15 hotels and this was the worse experience I have encountered. Actually I want to return to Bamberg in 2005 but Hotel Graupner will not be where I will stay.

I also sent this note to the hotel when I got back with no response.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member