“Charming hotel in the heart of Bamberg......very spacious rooms , lovely quiet area”

Barock Hotel am Dom
Ranked #8 of 40 Hotels in Bamberg
Hadley, MA
Reviewed October 24, 2010

We stayed from Oct 11th to October 14th and loved this hotel. The exterior of the building is beautiful. The interior is very spacious w/ a very nice view of the Cathedral of Bamberg. Rooms are very clean
Lots of restaurant choices very close by. A short walk from the hotel- 1-2 minutes and you are walking across the small bridge to the Old Town Hall. A bit tricky to find by car but everyone nearby knew where the hotel was.
The owner was wonderful helping us out in a variety of ways . For example when we were looking for a guide to accompany us to see several villages within an hour of Bamberg, she suggested a wonderful route and a guide , who was great. Great place, excellent breakfast and very pleasant staff w/ an excellent location.....

N. Broome-Hadley,MA

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pgo120

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2010

I stayed at the Barock Hotel for two nights and enjoyed my stay immensely. I picked the hotel from the reviews on Trip Advisor in the first instance, and then on price. I was on a tighter than normal budget so it was on the cheaper end of the scale for me. For that price I got a large, very clean room and bathroom on the top floor. My room looked out to the Cathedral. The breakfast was fine, adequate for my needs. The only downside was the creaks in the floorboards and the old furniture. But I wasn't there for style. I was there to stay and explore Bamberg on a budget. The hotel was very central and convenient for all the main tourist locations. Christine and her staff were always extremely friendly to me, particularly as I have been learning German and they often engaged in conversations to help me practice. As I was a solo female traveller, she was also good with recommendations for dinner. She and her family and staff made the trip very enjoyable. For those on a budget who want a good central location, look no further.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Bangor, Maine
Reviewed May 31, 2010

The Barock-Hotel am Dom was first-rate in every respect: ideal location in the middle of what one comes to Bamberg to see, but on a quiet, pedestrianized side-street; friendly, English-speaking reception; clean, well-furnished rooms with (unusual for Europe) coffee-maker (and honor-system access to other drinks); housed in a lovely 18th century Baroque townhouse just downhill from the great Romanesque cathedral (so there were inevitably church bells, although they didn't bother my sleep). All in all, I wouldn't bother searching for a better place to stay next time I come to Bamberg; which I certainly will do, for what was always one of Germany's most attractive (if not most visited) cities is now lovelier than ever.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed September 30, 2009

My husband and I stayed in this wonderful hotel for 5 nights during the Festival in Bamberg and it was absolutely perfect. We would certainly stay there again. Christine and Andries did everything possible to ensure that our return to Bamberg was unforgettable. We have stayed in many hotels in Bamberg - we return there every year- but this hotel is the BEST thanks to Christine and Andries. The location was just exactly what we wanted - the Dom was right out of our window- the bells gorgeous - everything within walking distance. We loved being there. I can't begin to list all of the unusual things that Christine and Andries did for us - they are unbelievable. Thank you !!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank charlotte08
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Reviewed May 6, 2009

Great service. Owner/operators made us feel like family. Room was much nicer and more modern than anticipated. Free Internet terminal and honor bar for juice and beer in the lobby. Finding the hotel was another thing... My inexperience for small towns and roads that were so tiny made locating the hotel a hunt. Once I realized that the alley just a few feet wider than the car was our street everything was fine. Would recommend the hotel highly.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank areyoudoc
Sydney
Reviewed June 20, 2008

The Barock hotel was located just behind the Dom in a quiet side street. Our hosts were exceptionally pleasant and helpful and our room cosy and just the right size for two people. A short stroll in one direction took us to the Dom and in another to the old town. Bamberg was one of our favourite towns. Highly recommended.

• Liked — friendly hosts and location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 26, 2008

We found this hotel on TripAdvisor so thanks to previous reviewers!

The best thing about this hotel: it's inside the historic part of the town so location could not be better! If you are driving, I hope you have GPS -- otherwise you're sure you're driving where no car should be to get to this hotel. It only has half a dozen parking spots (we got lucky) but there is a city parking lot nearby.

The rooms & bathrooms are simple but pleasant -- and both our rooms had views of the Cathedral! The breakfast (included) was lovely [cheeses, meats, yogurts, juices, breads, coffee (even decaf!), tea all presented in a room that feels like you're inside a cloister!]

We interacted several times with the couple who run this hotel, and they were very helpful (take his advice on where to go for wine-tasting, he's an enthusiast and will steer you right!).

One possible negative for those who like to sleep in -- there are 50 churches in Bamberg and apparently they believe no one should still be sleeping after 7 a.m.! I'll post pictures soon.

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank ASASG_7