“Bamberg's jewel.”

Barock Hotel am Dom
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Bamberg
Reviewed May 13, 2011

The Barock Hotel, located just steps from the Dom, is perfectly situated to enjoy the splendors of Bamberg. Everything is a scenic walk away. The hostess Frau Bosch could not have been more friendly & helpful. She is a wealth of information & charming to chat with. Our room was spacious, modern, quiet, & comfortable. The breakfast, served in a wonderful vaulted room, was a perfect selection of fresh breads, local meats, juices, etc. Couldn't have been better.
I recommend this historic hotel without reservation.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank swan88

Reviewed April 19, 2011

Excellent hotel in a perfect location, right in the heart of the old town.

By European standards, the room was very big, so I could forgive the barren 70's decor. Beds were very comfortable. Bathroom modern and roomy. Everything was very clean.

Christine the owner runs a tight ship. The breakfast (included in the price) was well stocked and fresh coffee was made for us upon arrival each morning. Free wi-fi.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2011

The only reason I picked this hotel was for the location and because we only planned to be in Bamberg one night for the Christmas market. The rooms are furnished with outdated furniture and lighting. The bathroom was clean and the towel warmer was nice, but the towels were thin. The breakfast was okay. The staff were not too friendly, and the lady at the desk was rather rude on at least two occasions. The only thing nice about this hotel is the view we had from our window of the cathedral -- it was spectacular. Loved hearing the bells of the cathedral at night. Other than the rude staff, there is nothing really wrong about the hotel. I'm not giving a good review for this hotel because I think it is worth it to spend a few more euros to have charming surroundings and friendy staff.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2011

I stayed at the Barock Hotel am Dom in Bamberg during my travels across Northern Bavaria to see the Christkindlmarkt. The room was very simple but clean, comfortable, and spacious by European standards. The location of the hotel is near perfect, as it is within easy walking distance of some of the finest sites Bamberg has to offer. The innkeeper was most accommodating and friendly, providing directions and suggestions for some great Bamberg restaurants. Breakfast was provided in the price, and was more than adequate in quality and substance. The only downside I experienced with the Barock Hotel am Dom was some difficulty finding it. Compact, short, winding streets play havoc with GPS. I suggest printing out a street map of the area in advance so as to better navigate one's way there. Also, parking is a premium. If there is not an available space in front of the hotel, ask the innkeeper where to park. Overall, a great stay!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Bamberg is like a relatively tourist free version of Bruges. The people in shops, restaurants, bars and the street are invariably helpful and friendly. The only downside for people from the UK is it is a long drive.

On arriving at the hotel, it appeared to be shut which was not a great start however we eventually found and rang the bell and the owner Andries appeared and welcomed us.

The hotel is in a superb relatively quiet location in the old city just below the castle. The building is fantastic and has been modernised in a very stylish way. The rooms are good and again have been stylishly done. One word of warning close your window if you need a lie in as the Church bells ring loudly at 7.00am.

Andries and his wife are very welcoming to guests and nothing is too much trouble.

One of the biggest problems in Bamberg is parking and Andries had gone to a lot of trouble to ensure we had a (free) parking space right outside the front of the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank sussexsagalout
Reviewed October 24, 2010

We stayed from Oct 11th to October 14th and loved this hotel. The exterior of the building is beautiful. The interior is very spacious w/ a very nice view of the Cathedral of Bamberg. Rooms are very clean
Lots of restaurant choices very close by. A short walk from the hotel- 1-2 minutes and you are walking across the small bridge to the Old Town Hall. A bit tricky to find by car but everyone nearby knew where the hotel was.
The owner was wonderful helping us out in a variety of ways . For example when we were looking for a guide to accompany us to see several villages within an hour of Bamberg, she suggested a wonderful route and a guide , who was great. Great place, excellent breakfast and very pleasant staff w/ an excellent location.....

N. Broome-Hadley,MA

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pgo120
Reviewed October 17, 2010

I stayed at the Barock Hotel for two nights and enjoyed my stay immensely. I picked the hotel from the reviews on Trip Advisor in the first instance, and then on price. I was on a tighter than normal budget so it was on the cheaper end of the scale for me. For that price I got a large, very clean room and bathroom on the top floor. My room looked out to the Cathedral. The breakfast was fine, adequate for my needs. The only downside was the creaks in the floorboards and the old furniture. But I wasn't there for style. I was there to stay and explore Bamberg on a budget. The hotel was very central and convenient for all the main tourist locations. Christine and her staff were always extremely friendly to me, particularly as I have been learning German and they often engaged in conversations to help me practice. As I was a solo female traveller, she was also good with recommendations for dinner. She and her family and staff made the trip very enjoyable. For those on a budget who want a good central location, look no further.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo