“Good hearty meals and great atmosphere”
Review of Kachelofen

Kachelofen
Ranked #3 of 238 Restaurants in Bamberg
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Authentic atmosphere-feel, sit with the locals and enjoy really good German food -"get to the point" waitresses. Trout was excellent, juicy pork meat with sides of sauerkraut & boiled potatos, the apple dessert (local speciality) was fantastic - crispy baked slices - YUM. Very affordable for the 4 of us, 3 course dinner with a round of smoked beer & local white wine with main course @ Euro 22/pp.
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We ate inside which was lovely with wood panelling and a very country, German feel. The menu which was available in English, had a good variety of dishes. The food was very tasty too. Definitely recommended.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Ate here 8 MAR 14 for lunch with friends. I had Nürnberger Bratwürst'la mit Sauerkraut and a Rauchbier (Nuremberg Bratwürst with sauerkraut and a smoked beer) - delicious. My friend had Putensteak mit Kräuterbutter, Pommes frites und Salat (Turkey steak with herb butter, French fries and salad). Both were delicious. The staff friendly and helpful. Great location just down from the Cathedral.

1  Thank gatoreed
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Went to this restaurant after taking a nice "walking tour" of Bamberg. There were 14 of us but I must say the service was excellent. I chose the house grillplatter and a famour Rauchbeer (smoked beer). It tastes like you are drinking a heavily smoked ham and takes some getting used to. Portion sizes are huge. Two of my colleagues ordered mixed sausages for two , I reckon it was enough for four but they managed it nonetheless. The place was crowded and so we were eating in a nice atmosphere. Finally, we were served by Digger who speaks, English, French and of course German.... a great night was had by all.

1  Thank Clive T
Reviewed March 14, 2014

When we got to Bamberg we wanted German food. What we found at first given where we were staying, Were pizza places And other ethnic restaurants. Some we went to later and found wonderful but I digress. I tried my fledgling German with a shop keeper and she sent us here. It was early and it was Monday. We got in without a reservation. This is rare from what I now understand. What a marvelous introduction to German food! I had pork belly here on one occasion. It was just perfect. Of couse who can argue with the local beer anywhere in this city? Not me. I loved the intimacy of the atmosphere too.

1  Thank 411MarianH
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We came there by chance for dinner, the place was full with smilling happy people most of them looked locals not tourists. We were hungry and were quite disapointed to see that the place was full, but the owner noticed us imediately (although the place was busy) and escort us to the corner of the bar where there were three stools and said that soon we can join the table. The place has a long table where everyone sits with everyone and 3 more separated table and a vip room of six. It is croweded in the nice way that gives you the feeling of warmth and not to noisy. The host are a familly mother father and sons all working together and smoothly and friendly. We drank beer and waited for a spot for us. After ten minutes or so a customer understood we were waiting and offered us their place in exchange for our stools at the bar (they finished eating and stayed for drinking). It was a nice gesture, showing the nature of dinning in this resturant, mingling with the people and joining the rithem of the place. Food was good and served quickly with a nice choice of Frankish dishes which I find to be very taste and fulfilling. Great place to dine and enjoy a lovely evening.

1  Thank Ilan V