“One of Our Top Five in Bamberg”
Review of Kachelofen

Kachelofen
Ranked #3 of 231 Restaurants in Bamberg
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Authentic atmosphere-feel, sit with the locals and enjoy really good German food -"get to the point" waitresses. Trout was excellent, juicy pork meat with sides of sauerkraut & boiled potatos, the apple dessert (local speciality) was fantastic - crispy baked slices - YUM. Very affordable for the 4 of us, 3 course dinner with a round of smoked beer & local white wine with main course @ Euro 22/pp.
Bamberg, Germany
“One of Our Top Five in Bamberg”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My husband and I have lived in Bamberg for a year now and we love Kachelofen! We have been many to many different restaurants here and Kachelofen has some of the best German cuisine we have found yet! The servers are very friendly and you it typically doesn't take long for the food to get to the table, even on a busy night. I definitely recommend the "lumberjack" meal. It's one of the best on their menus!

• Visited February 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Nice small restaurant. Recomended”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Good german restaurant. Not very big. They have a couple long tables. Whenever there is room at the table you will be accomodated. So you will be sitting with other people at the table. The smaller (4 person) tables where all taken by the time we arrived.
Nevertheless the food was excelent and the beer tasted good (by the way, their "standard' beer is Rauchbeer which can have an unusual taste for some people, so if you would like other beer (like pils or hefe) you should not just order a beer but specify it)
prices where very reasonable.

• Visited December 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Super German food!”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

What a wonderful find. Kachelofen is a tiny local restaurant (maybe 10 community tables) that was packed last Saturday when we visited. We were lucky enough to get a shared table about 15 minutes after our arrival. The hearty and huge meals were excellent albeit simply too much food. My wife had the haxen and I had a steak with roasted onions. Both were excellent and huge. The also had a nice bier selection (I had a keller bier as I don't care for Bamberg's liquid proscutto [their rachen bier]). Service was efficient and pretty fast considering the restaurant was absolutely packed. This is a definite don't miss restaurant.

• Visited November 2012
Berlin, Germany
“Very tasty”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stopped here for lunch while in Bamberg and were not disappointed. The service was very fast and friendly, and we both sampled Rauchbier and Franconian specialties. The food was good, authentic, and very reasonably priced. The portions were generous and fortified us for the next few hours of sightseeing. It was a very cozy place to escape the cold for a while.

• Visited November 2012
Canton, Ohio
“Favorite of Bamberg, Make Reservation”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This place was my favorite restaurant in Bamberg. The food was classic Austrian cuisine, and they also served seasonal favorites. I had some farmer's sausages, onion cake, and sturm (new, sweet wine served only in autumn). Everything was delicious, and my friend was also pleased with all of his food.

The waiter was very nice. We visited when it was cold outside, but we sat outside because the inside was all booked by reservations. The inside of the restaurant looked so warm, comfortable, and welcoming, but the outside was really pleasant and beautiful and quaint feeling as well. It's the perfect place for a cozy dinner.

I think if I lived in this town, I would come weekly. The food was a great value too.

• Visited October 2012