“Excellent traditional hearty German meal.”
Review of Kachelofen

Kachelofen
Ranked #3 of 238 Restaurants in Bamberg
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Authentic atmosphere-feel, sit with the locals and enjoy really good German food -"get to the point" waitresses. Trout was excellent, juicy pork meat with sides of sauerkraut & boiled potatos, the apple dessert (local speciality) was fantastic - crispy baked slices - YUM. Very affordable for the 4 of us, 3 course dinner with a round of smoked beer & local white wine with main course @ Euro 22/pp.
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Before I left for Germany, someone I worked with had gone to Bamberg a few months before me and told me about this place. When I went to my hotel, the front desk also recommended this place to eat. It did not disappoint! The food is plentiful and is so good! I had the pork shoulder and the liver dumpling soup. My wife had the Jaeger Schnitzel and it came with dumplings. I do love German food and this place does it right. The price is reasonable and the restaurant is very traditional. The only thing I will say is you might have to share a table with other people if you sit inside. It was cold when I went so that was our only choice. If sitting with other people is a problem, then definitely take an outside seat if the weather permits. I would HIGHLY recommend this restaurant for good traditional Franconian food.

1  Thank boyblue4502

Reviewed March 3, 2012

Exactly what I was looking for... wonderful roasted meats and leberknodelsuppe.

1  Thank Christopher P
Reviewed January 24, 2012

A fantastic experience! The food is homemade and exquisite, and the restaurant itself exudes the warmth and coziness of Bavaria. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable...very helpful in making suggestions and recommendations from the menu. Everything my friends and I consumed - from the shoulder of pork to the bread dumpling in a mushroom cream sauce was pure deliciousness. The only possible complaint is that the portions are too large for any one person to consume; plan on sharing a dish if you dine here. For the first time ever, I turned down dessert because my stomach was about to explode. Overall, a great value for such wonderful fare.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

While it is filled with tourists, there is a reason its also filled with locals. The food. Great food and I love the location. All authentic and the price is also very good.
I say go! I had a seasonal mushroom dish, it was a nice break from my solid pork diet I had been consuming. Don't worry, you have a ton of meat options here as well.

Reviewed February 11, 2011

This has always been one of my favorite places to go for Franconian food. I didn't have an appreciation for how good it was until recently when I ate at another Franconian place nearby on Friday, a well-known brewery Saturday, and Kachelofen on Monday. The quality of the food was heads and shoulders above the other two and when you look at what other people are eating it makes it difficult to choose. I recommend one of the Bamberg/Franconian platters to get a little taste of everything. The only downside to the place is they serve St. Georgenbrau beer, which, while good isn't a Bamberger beer.