“Best meal in town”

Cuisines: German, Healthy
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I have been in Bamberg for over a year now and this by far was one of the best meals I have had here. We started with the tomato soup and falaffel which were amazing! I would probably go back and just have that for dinner. It's spargel season so we had a Spargelragout which was absolutely fantastic paired with brown rice, homemade hollandaise sauce and organic turkey strips. Two glasses of wine went with the dinner as well. We finished off dinner with a spin off the traditional tiramisu and tea/coffee. Everything totaled under 45 Euro. Not bad for an amazing 3 course dinner and drinks. Don't miss it! I'll definitely be back, again and again.

2  Thank bdano
There are newer reviews for Restaurant Kornblume

Reviewed March 22, 2012

This is a great restaurant for food lovers; those who enjoy meals prepared from scratch with creativity. My wife and I ordered the stuffed avocado and it is really good. Later our steaks with potatoes arrived. Steaks were cook as we ordered, but could have used more seasoning; maybe this is how the chef prepares his steaks. We could have asked for salt & pepper, but we didn't. For dessert, we ordered chocolate mousse. It was very good. All ingredients are fresh and very tasty. The place was too quiet; maybe we will go back when it is more happening.

1  Thank scjjmm
Reviewed February 16, 2012

After reading the reviews on Tripadvisor, we decided to make Kornblume our Valentine´s Day dinner spot. They were closed on actual Valentine´s (as is normal for them on Tuesdays)....but they will be open NEXT V-Day, and I am tempted to make a reservation now!
The restaurant is small, but very cute, with fantastic lively paintings throughout. For parents, there is even a small children´s room with some toys.
We ordered the bruschetta and garlic bread as appetizers. The bruschetta is the best I have ever had. Note that it is served on rather dense whole wheat bread, so it is rather filling. And, yes, I had my reservations about bruschetta on ww bread, but I was oh so pleasantly surprized! Fantastic!
The weekly specials were Asian style, and my BF ordered the Duck. I have never in my life seen such lean duck! Fantastic. Portions are huge. The duck came with a full bowl of potatoes on the side as well as a large (for a side dish) salad.
I ordered the salad with turkey as my main, and it was perfect. Loads of veggies (zucchini, carrots, cucumbers...) and perfectly cooked turkey. Just perfect. The house dressing should be bottled.
Service is fantastic, and as others have noted I was able to tell the Chef directly just how much we enjoyed our meal. Added note: As is common in the US, but not at ALL in Germany, they offered to pack up the remainder of our meal in a doggy bag. YUM!!!! I get to eat Kornblume for lunch today!

1  Thank mandy939
Reviewed August 2, 2011

My husband and I visit Bamberg regularly to see friends who live there. We quickly tire of bratwurst and sought out this restaurant via trip advisor. The four of us went along (our friends had not tried it before) and we were all very pleasantly surprised. The food, which has a healthly bent, but is not exclusively vegetarian (nor are we), was delicious and the hosts were a delight. They even gave us a free nightcap at evening's end. We can highly recommend this delightful find - it's a bit out of town, but worth the taxi fare.

4  Thank rbinsydney
Reviewed May 28, 2011

My wife and I did not know enough German adjectives to accurately express the quality of food at Kornblume Restaurant in Bamberg, DE. Suffice to say, it was beyond our expectations. The ingredients are local and grown organically. There is even an entire line of bio-beers. But Chef Heine made it a memorable dining experience with his inspired dishes that were artfully presented and exciting to eat.
The appetizers were an indication of great things to come. The bruschetta on the Chef's homemade bread was the best interpretation of the traditional Italian dish I have ever experienced. The savory bread was pan sauteed and the mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, fresh herbs and garlic were added. Every bite was to be savored. My wife's falafel was seasoned and fried to perfection with a yogurt dressing. It included a side vegetable salad with a hidden vinaigrette that worked well with the yogurt dressing.
The entrees were even better. My wife had a vegetable curry that had a distinct flair with pineapple and a subtle hint of rosemary added to the traditional seasoning. The vegetables appeared to be roasted and baked with a light cheese crust that added to the flavor. My tiger prawn salad had generous amounts of large and smaller "scampi" that were broiled to perfection and presented over a generous amount of varied lettuces and mixed vegetables in a light buttermilk dressing.
We ate in the restaurants open air garden with potted herbs adorning each table. The atmosphere was quiet and cozy. It was relaxing experience that was welcome after dealing with the tourist hustle and bustle in downtown Bamberg.
The food portions were generous and reasonably priced. A place not to be missed.

3  Thank bearlee