“Get the Suite”

Ranked #3 of 13 Bamberg B&B and Inns
East Lansing, Michigan
“Get the Suite”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

On a recent two week trip through Germany we stopped here for one night and loved it. Thankfully, we had reserved the Suite which lived up to expectations. The room is huge (sitting area with a sleeping loft) with exposed beams and a big chain hand crank in the center of the room. The sitting room furniture is a bit tired, which is the reason I did not rank this hotel as "Excellent". Beds were terrific and we slept very well.
Breakfast was huge and varied but crowded. If you arrive a bit late they replenish everything so perhaps not arriving with everyone else in the hotel would be smartest.
Parking is an issue. The hotel appears to have only two place (8 Euro each per night) and we were lucky to find a space in a small outdoor lot nearby (8 Euro). There is a larger parking garage nearby but it is double that price.
Recommended.

Room Tip: Get the suite
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank D0ugP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This is was perfect hotel for our stay in Bamberg. Bamberg is not Munich, Frankfurt, or Hamburg, and that's a good thing. But don't expect giant, luxurious American style hotels like you would in those cities. We read the reviews on Molitor - the good and the bad - decided that it was exactly what we needed. It is quaint, it is local, it is very German / European. It is also exactly as described.

It is true that they do not have 24-7 staff, but this is not a security issue as described. You have a key and as far as I can see, they weren't handing out free copies on the street. Plus, your room has a lock especially for you so no worries about anyone breaking into the room. Bamberg is safe. Relax and enjoy. I also read that the breakfast was not American. Well...you're not in America. Get over it. Other also right that it isn't modernized. See my note above about being in Bamberg. Don't expect The W.

The hotel is close to EVERYTHING including Klosterbrau, a rather amazing little brewery (with great food). You are literally in the heart of it all. They also offer free WiFi and by being a registered guest, you have free access to hotspots all over town. A nice option. And the fridge in the hall has a great assortment of beer for 1 euro.

The one con that does ring true is the beds aren't exactly the most comfortable in the world. But, if you manage enough beer, then the beds aren't much of an issue. I give this hotel a 5.

Room Tip: Vist Klosterbrau across the street for great beer and food. Seriously, you have to go.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Albury, Australia
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I stayed here 3 nights with my mother. Very close to all the attractions and if you are a history buff then Bamberg is the place to go. The hotel is modest and doesnt have those litle extras that the larger hotels have. But it does offer great value for money with comfortable beds (doonas and fluffy pillows), great continental breakfast (boiled eggs, meats, cheeses, yoghurt, fruitsalad, variety of breads), and free WiFi. It is also on the river Regnitz and my room had river views. The day I arrived it was Fathers/Mens day celebrations and groups of men enjoying the day with a few beers. I was worried about the noise but found my double windows great in blocking most of the noise. There is a pub opposite and noise can echo in the small lane. I found the street quiet late at night, but I always sleep with earplugs wen I travel.. In a nutshell if you want the spoils of a chain hotel then this may not be the place for you. But if you love authenticity, value for money and the uniqueness of an old buiding then Molitor is the place to book. The staff were also very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: If noise may bother you then ask for quiet room away from street.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Living_my_dream_now
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Pros: 1. The hotel is on a quiet street in the middle of Bamberg, close to everything. 2. It has a small parking garage, which is nice for a city where parking lots and spaces are hard to find. 3. It has wi-fi. 4. The staff is really nice and 5. Like most places in Germany, breakfast is included and it was good. 5. Honor bar was a deal at 1 euro for a bottle of great beer. 6. It is literally ten paces from Klosterbrau, one of the many breweries in the area.

Cons: 1. Our room could have used updating/remodeling, but it was clean and quiet. 2. The aforementioned small parking garage means exactly that, 'small'; it is really meant to accomodate teeny tiny little vehicles, but we managed with ours.

We would stay there again because we thought the price was fair for what we got.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PikesPeaked
Skutskar, Sweden
Reviewed October 4, 2011

It was time for our biannual beer trip. Found this hotel to be in a good location and with nice welcoming staff.
A fridge in the hallway with local beer and other drinks for 1€ a bottle!
Very good breakfast.
Comfortable rooms of good size.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank AndersE
Russia
Reviewed August 6, 2011

We arrived in the hotel after long journey and were rather tired. There were 2 workers at the reception: woman looked as Philipinas or Thailand native and 16-17 years old girl. They were talking with each other with great enthusiasm.After a short break (pfilipinas woman gave me a key and mumbled my room`s number) they renewed their talk with doubled energy. My teenager son and I (with heavy suitcases) were tying to find out our room and had obvious difficulties while reception`s workers kept chatering. It seems to me that pfilipinas woman looked at us with some irritation from time to time - we hindered these nice girls. At last we succeeded ! O-o-o!Good luck! But after 15- 20 minutes o I realized that my husband was absent too long and began to search him. There was nobody on reception,hotel`s doors were locked and my husband could not come in. He was waiting in the nearest bar.By the way,it was raining hard.!As it turned out,first he went with receptionist to look at hotel`s garage .But it did not fit him and he went to nearst garage ( 2 minutes walk). At this time receptionists locked the hotel`s doors and went home. It was - 18.30,though check in time in the hotel is 14:00 - 19:00 ,.and we were the only guests in this rainy evening
I can not say that our suite was bad. It was big and clean. Bads were comfortable and garden was nice, though without much privacy.But... It was not 2-level suite,as I expected - simply 2 rooms .It has not river view and beamed ceiling.There was not promised Wi-Fi. If I could see this suite`s foto,I should not book it. But foto of this suit absent on hotel`s site and on booking.com site

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank etalena
Kerry
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Like the previous reviewer we nearly stayed at the Best Western but it was the last night of our German holiday so I wanted a more memorable stay than a chain hotel.

Ideally I wanted to stay round the corner at the St. Nepomuk hotel as it is in an amazing location on the river and is a converted mill but it was booked out. Never fear, this small hotel is a great place. It is a small 23 bed hotel in an original building across from a brewery.

There is the main building which has the beamed ceilings you see in the photos . We were in a separate annex that you reach from the street with your own key. Our room was modern and a good size. It didn't have the character touches of the main building so request this if you want one of these rooms.The beds weren't the most comfortable I've ever slept in but that's only one opinion! Being a 3 star hotel you don't get facilities like tea/coffee in-room, an iron, air con or satellite TV but we were only here one night so that wasn't a big issue.

The only real problem was the noise from the street outside. The area is a thoroughfare well into the small hours and even with the windows closed there is a lot of chatter that might disturb your sleep. We left really early to get to the airport so we didn't eat breakfast but I saw the end of breakfast service the previous day and it looked pretty substantial and the breakfast room is pretty and full of character. We had been directed to park in a 24 hr multi storey about 3 minutes drive from the hotel but there is a small garage on-site if you are early enough to get a space

B&B rate was 89 euros which was good value when you are in a position to walk to all main parts of Bamberg with ease. The Kaiserdom is 3minutes walk as is the main shopping centre. The area is full of original bulidings and the river Regnitz is right round the corner which makes for a beautiful vista.

This is a good spot to be at the centre of things. I would probably like something a little more plush if I was here for more than a day or two but it was much better than any chain hotel could offer

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a beamed ceiling
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple