“Good German fare”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
San Diego, CA
“Good German fare”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This restaurant was right across the street from our hotel. They did not have many choices, but the food that was available was good. Previous TA reviews questioned why it was seldom busy- it appeared as if there were a lot of local folks who were personal friends of the waiters/managers/cooks who were treated very well. The rest of us were treated OK. The prices were reasonable, the service OK, and the beer was good. I would not go out of my way to eat there as there are many other places to eat in Bamberg that have a more extensive menu with the same prices while the food quality is just as good.

• Visited September 2013

• Czech first
  • Hungarian first
Innsbruck, Austria
“Great beer, OK food”
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Really great beer - I tried both the dark and the brown beers. The waitresses were both friendly and efficient. It was full but they found us space on a table with others. Ate sauerbraten, which was reasonable enough, but not amazing.

Baltimore, Maryland
“A Favorite Beer Pub in Bamberg”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

The Klosterbräu ("Monastery Brew") seems to be our first stop every time we do our basic version of the pub crawl through Bamberg. There is a damn good reason why: great beer, good service and wonderful food choices. I even lugged a heavy liter-sized earthware mug across Europe because this pub is so good. Highly recommded. And all the bier we have sampled is satisfying!

• Visited October 2012
Zurich, Switzerland
“Best German pig knuckle experience!”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Visited this traditional German local in a late August afternoon and made my first Getman knuckle experience- and it was excellent. Crispy grilled on the outside and the meat is so juice that one does not need any sauce in addition to add any flavor. And the surprise comes when the bill arrives, for a full meal of two adult plus two beer, it costs only 20 Euro. I will try their famous breakfast next time! And of course the service is friendly and warm. Must try if u r in the area!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Jessie G
Southampton, United Kingdom
“My favourite brewery in Bamberg!”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I can no longer count the number of times I have been back to this restaurant. I love the beer and in my opinion Klosterbräu serves the best food in Bamberg (if you are looking for typical German dishes). My particular favourite is the Haxe which is a pork knuckle served with Sauerkraut (pickled cabbage - trust me it tastes so much better than it sounds) and potato dumplings. The atmosphere is great, especially in the wood-panelled dining area. The staff are also very friendly. As well as their normal menu of typical Frankish and German food they always have some specials which change every month or two. This is a must for anyone who likes beer and German food!

• Visited June 2013