“Slightly different dining experience.”
Review of Hofbrau

Hofbrau
Ranked #5 of 240 Restaurants in Bamberg
Cuisines: German, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Visited here on my final night in Bamberg. Handy location just over the bridge. Interior typical for the area - and therein lies a problem. Yes it's good - but I felt not that much different from other places I have visited in Germany - and certainly not - in my humble opinion - worthy of some of the 'rave' reviews here. But TA won't let me rate it as 'good' - the whole experience is certainly not 'average' so 'very good' it will have to be. Just knock off the 'very'!

Okay, grading discussion over. Good points - if you would prefer a slightly more formal dining experience with white tablecloths rather than be placed on a shared-table, this is for you. No brewery attached so slightly less raucous atmosphere. The increased formality seems to be reflected in the prices, with main courses being about three Euros more than the surrounding competitors. That said, the menu is far more extensive and the food was good. Greater selection of wines and the beer was still good.

English menus, and excellent helpful waitresses whose command of English put my limited German to shame! Credit cards accepted.

So - it's certainly good, but not fantastic. If you want somewhere slightly more peaceful and formal - go here.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

On my last night in Germany, the wife and I were walking back to our hotel when we saw the Hofbrauhaus. We entered and sat at the bar. A gentleman was eating at the bar next to us. We chatted and found out he was the owner of the establishment. Hansi was one of the nicest people Ive met anywhere in the world. The tafelspitz was amazing and the drinks were made to perfection. Everything we ate was INSANE!! He asked me and my wife if we would like to go out after he shut the restaraunt down. We agreed. We spent all night bar hopping with Hansi our new friend. We retired to hotel at 2 or 3 in the morning after a very fun night of listening to music. The next morning in the freezing cold, as I ate my breakfast in my hotel, I saw Hansi walking through the snow and he motioned for me to come outside. He said "it was a pleasure to meet you and I wish you luck in life". We exchanged numbers and emails and I went back to my breakfast. This was in 2009. Since then we talk once a week on the phone and he and his lovely wife Martina (who also works there) have become great friends of ours. They have come out to California twice and now its our turn to come back to Bamberg. We love them so much, and its all because of great food, and great wine comes from great people. LOVE YOU GUYS!!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Ideally located in the centre of the old city, the Hofbrau is the perfect place to finish your evening stroll at for a fine meal with friendly and efficient service. A lovely way to complete a day in Bamberg !

1  Thank Steve2006_11
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Just a few days ago I had dinner in this restaurant and I really enjoyed the atmosphere, the not too loud live music, the great food and last but not least, the free wine tasting.
I would def go back there and I suggest to everyone who's traveling to Bamberg to go spend an evening there.

Perfect for: quality time, special events, romantic dates.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

We've eaten at over 50 German Restaurants around Germany and this is in the top 10 for sure. Quality and quantity is excellent and price is right. Very attentive staff. Not a huge menu, but I think that is good, as they do what they do well. Get the pork shoulder with Klose (potato ball) and sauerkraut in a great beer sauce. Not a huge fan of the smoked beer, but they have it and worth a try, not a hit on them at all. Get a Zirndorfer if you don't like it. Location is excellent for a break in between sightseeing/shopping.